• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Old file. What is reviewed?

garrett00

Inactive
Reaction score
I looked over the site and found many answers but none pertaining to what will be reviewed in an old file.  I applied to 043 Reg about 2 years ago. The trade was not available at that time. I have recently began a new application for the Reserve force of the same trade and was wondering what will be reviewed in the old file, as i am under the impression that after a year the file becomes void.    Any feedback will be welcomed.

garrett00 said:
I looked over the site and found many answers but none pertaining to what will be reviewed in an old file.   I applied to 043 Reg about 2 years ago. The trade was not available at that time. I have recently began a new application for the Reserve force of the same trade and was wondering what will be reviewed in the old file, as i am under the impression that after a year the file becomes void.      Any feedback will be welcomed.

The paper file is kept for three years but there is an electronic copy that lasts forever.  Whatever needs to be used from the old file to complete the new one.  Most times all the applicant has to provide is an updated transcript and any address changes to start a new application.

You shouldn't have to retake the CFAT test either, but correct me if I'm wrong, doesn't those scores only last for a year?

Cheers

Patrick H. said:
You shouldn't have to retake the CFAT test either, but correct me if I'm wrong, doesn't those scores only last for a year?

Cheers

You are wrong.  Although CFRC Hamilton seems to be telling their applicants that the CFAT expires in three years there is in fact no expiration on the CFAT unless the test itself changes.

For us a person whos file has been closed requires a new Employment application to be filled out along with the personelle screening form. After 2 years we have been told candidates reapplying will need to redo their Cfat

After 2 years we have been told candidates reapplying will need to redo their Cfat

Where do you get this from?  On whose authority?

If you had met the cut off score for 043 the first time around, there is no need to re-write the CFAT. There are a number of scenarios where one would re-write, but best not to go down that path on this thread...why complicate things. :)

As for the old file, everything is reviewed and updated where necessary (eg transcripts, medical, ERC, reference letters etc) within the current context.

kincanucks said:
After 2 years we have been told candidates reapplying will need to redo their Cfat

Where do you get this from?   On whose authority?

Almost positive that was passed down from local cfrc...

cause i have another candidate whos reapplying after writing cfat just over 2 years ago and he needs to redo it.

Its an aptitude test. You aren't supposed to do better if you get smarter. :)

TheCheez said:
kincanucks

What if you get smarter? Can you ask to redo the CFAT?

Did you not get the trade you wanted?  Then yes but if you do worse then that is the score they go with it and you might be SOL.

No best of three or best of five then, eh?
Probably a good idea...

I know this probably sounds harsh, but, not everyone can meet the aptitude level required for some things. If everyone met it, there would be no need to test for it.

Well I was more curious. (I got the trade I want)

If someone applies for a trade and doesnt get in then goes back to school and completes a degree or something and applies for a new trade or even the same trade but cant thanks to an old CFAT.

This might not help the spatial reasoning much but math and english would definitely improve.

Just playing devils advocate really.

Back