• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Niagara declares eclipse emergency

I've been there numerous times both as a kid and adult; not just the Falls but the whole river area. It's cool but the only thing I would like to see is Niagara Power Station attraction. It's apparently really well done.

I don't think it's the eclipse itself; they are expecting about 1 million extra people to actually watch it there, which is about 9 times more than what they normally get for big events, and about 2.5 times the normal city population, so potentially just a massive influx of people to the general area.
The population of the City is under 100K, so about 10x the normal population.

You can close or limit public access to government lands, to numbers that you can control.
Pretty difficult when you consider that Niagara Parks land is essentially most of the shoreline of the Niagara River plus other area historic and conservation sites. Even if they could manage to restrict public lands, it would just further concentrate the crowds into other areas of the city.

I heard this eclipse also occurs in different parts of Canada where 1 million people won't be sardine canned.

I could be wrong.

I agree. If I were so interested, I would be heading east towards Belleville and beyond. I dislike crowds as well. It's not like Niagara Falls is Stonehenge.

I'm not sure what the author/lawyer is on about. The EMCPA might be an imperfect tool for a situation like this but it is not necessarily an inappropriate one, unless she is trying to make some case that that it is legislative overreach and Council is trying to amass power that they won't relinquish like some tried to make during the Convoy. Declaring an emergency give the municipality, elected and staff, more financial and policy flexibility, enabling things that they normally could only normally do through resolutions, bylaws, tenders, etc. It is probably the only method where they can legally be proactive.

. . . Declaring an emergency give the municipality, elected and staff, more financial and policy flexibility, enabling things that they normally could only normally do through resolutions, bylaws, tenders, etc. It is probably the only method where they can legally be proactive.

It's almost as if you had read the Niagara Region Emergency Management Plan.

or the City of Niagara Falls Emergency Plan

or the St. Catharines Emergency Response Plan

Last edited:
Hotels are cancelling people's reservations, made up to a year ago.
Reselling the rooms for $1000 to $3000.

I’d say take Wyndham Hotels to small claims court for the difference in what the family would have paid, and what they would have to pay to get a booking. Then the hotel could be forced to produce proof of the group extension (sounds like BS) and even be charged with fraud. At the outset, the ‘group’ should have been told “Sorry, there is no vacancy to extend your stay into…”

It's almost as if you had read the Niagara Region Emergency Management Plan.

or the City of Niagara Falls Emergency Plan

or the St. Catharines Emergency Response Plan
Ha. I had not, but they all flow from the Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act. Municipalities are the initial level of responsibility so I would imagine all of the plans in the Province follow a similar template, likely developed by the Province.

I’d say take Wyndham Hotels to small claims court for the difference in what the family would have paid, and what they would have to pay to get a booking. Then the hotel could be forced to produce proof of the group extension (sounds like BS) and even be charged with fraud. At the outset, the ‘group’ should have been told “Sorry, there is no vacancy to extend your stay into…”
And they would lawyer them into the Stone Age. At best, they would probably offer them a credit, but that doesn't get them a spot for next Monday.

I'm not familiar with the consumer protection legislation in this area but will guess it would fall under some form of contract law and I don't really see how a criminal charge would come into play (assuming they were refunded). Some sort of ironclad arrangement would impair the guest equally as the hotel (ever had to cancel a reservation?).

Possibly. Total dick move by Wyndham Hotel in N-F, though…

I suspect this is the local GM’s doing…
There are 405 rooms at the Wyndham. So if they cancelled all of them and then sold them for a grand each that is just over 400 thousand for a single night. The folks cancelled were talking about a 100 dollar deal but their website currently shows rooms starting at 159 so those hundred dollar rooms are not the normal. So assuming the 150 range is normal 400 thousand is maybe equivalent to 7 nights full booking. I think somebody took their stupid pills when they started cancelling. They have bought negative national publicity for a paltry 7 nights full house. Dumb

I suspect this is the local GM’s doing…

A quick google of some of the major chain properties in Niagara Falls indicates that all of them have significantly raised their rates for the eclipse, generally by approx $180 - $200 a night.

This is what it would cost at the Wyndham to check in on Sunday and leave Tuesday (2 nights).

1712459438765.png

Whether any other properties have cancelled reservations (or being very particular about confirming/prepaying a reservation) is another question, but it wouldn't surprise me.

I'm not seeing any break down in society over the eclipse yet, but the news has been deceptive before.

Was the declaration of emergency necessary?

Maybe the declaration allowed potential problems to be mitigated. Also 4 hours after the eclipse, maybe, just maybe, a full analysis has not been done.

I'm not seeing any break down in society over the eclipse yet, but the news has been deceptive before.

Let the taunting begin. Good thing there wasn't a snow storm or maybe really cold too...

Monty Python Elderberries GIF by Fresh Interactive

THE QEW WAS BASICALLY DESERTED. I HAVE SEEN MORE TRAFFIC DRIVING ON A MIDNIGHT SHIFT THAN I DID TODAY. AND NO PROBLEM FINDING PARKING. The whole area was overcast so I guess most people decided to stay home

Agreed about the roads, I drove to Hamilton from Guelph at 06:30 to pick something up because I figured it would be a zoo heading down that way and wanted to get back before the traffic.

It was like driving to work during the covid lockdowns.....

Maybe the declaration allowed potential problems to be mitigated. Also 4 hours after the eclipse, maybe, just maybe, a full analysis has not been done.

Then I have a list of other events that should be declared emergencies, just in case they become an actual emergency later on. Where should be start and end the declaration of emergencies for emergencies that have not yet occurred?

Way off topic, but I had to put this somewhere.

A co-host on The View claims the NY earthquake, the eclipse and cicada life cycles are the result of climate change.🤣

At least Goldberg and Behar attempted to sort her out. Quite ineffectual though.

A co-host on The View claims the NY earthquake, the eclipse and cicada life cycles are the result of climate change.🤣

At least Goldberg and Behar attempted to sort her out. Quite ineffectual though.

No body should be taking anything of value from the View. If ever there was useless, if not obstreperous, TV programing, its the View.

Funny and stupid as that may be, these types of people who believe this stuff are policy makers too. Some are likely in the NDP/Liberal government cabinet.

Back