• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Newfoundland community welcomes Reservists

Nfld Sapper

Army.ca Fixture
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
Article Link

Newfoundland community welcomes Reservists
Friday, February 08, 2008
Project Number:08-0003

2008_02_07_36SvcBat_M.jpg

From left to right, Private Janis Dwyer, Pte Loriann Hoyles, Pte Andri Carvalhal, Pte Anthony Flannigan and Pte Lindsay St. George are all new recruits of the 36 (Newfoundland) Service Battalion.

2008_02_07_36SvcBat_1.jpg

Master Corporal Colin Husk instructs detachment personnel in latest convoy operations lessons learned.

BAY ROBERTS, Newfoundland and Labrador — In a move made to recruit new members, the Town of Bay Roberts was chosen by the St. John's-based 36 (Newfoundland) Service Battalion (36 Svc Bn Nfld) as the location of a trial detachment.

"We are very pleased to have the unit in our community," said Mayor Glenn Littlejohn of the decision that was made almost 16 months ago.

Bay Roberts was selected because of its geographic proximity to major population centres on the northern Avalon Peninsula. Reputed to be industrious and having a can-do attitude, the choice of Bay Roberts also fit very well with the ethics and ethos of this community-minded, will-help-anyone-attitude of 36 Svc Bn Nfld.

2008_02_07_36SvcBat_2.jpg

Detachment personnel practice search and detain procedures outside the Avalon North Wolverines Ground Search and Rescue Building in Bay Roberts.

"This detachment is unique from what I've seen in the reserves and military," said Captain Gary Drover, Adjutant of the unit. "Any platoon in the Army will have soldiers at different points in their career progression. We have suddenly created a detached platoon of 47 soldiers all entering service at the same time.  Although we have great leadership in place, this sudden bump in our numbers will present a challenge in term of the remainder of their DP1 training."

A lease agreement with the all-volunteer Avalon North Wolverines Ground Search and Rescue allows members of the Reserve unit to parade on Wednesday nights and exercise at least one weekend per month in the Wolverines' headquarters. The organization is the largest group out of twenty-seven search and rescue teams in Newfoundland and Labrador. 

The detachment has been very active in community events since its arrival. Over the past year, soldiers have participated in the Santa Claus parade and collected food for the local food banks.

"They've created jobs in our community and having our young people work out of Bay Roberts is more beneficial then having them bussed the hour or so into St. John's to train," said Mayor Littlejohn.

We are very proud our achievement in Bay Roberts but as this has been a bottom-up initiative. 

Captain Gary Drover The money is one reason Private Janis Dwyer, an older recruit and mother of two teenagers, joined the reserves. "I try to do the best I can to fit into the training," said Pte Dwyer. "Because I work in a high school, I try to relate to them from what I hear at school." She also wants to be more physically fit and get back to the training she loved so much as an Army Cadet in her younger days.

"We are very proud our achievement in Bay Roberts but as this has been a bottom-up initiative," added Capt Drover. "It isn't supported the same as if it had been directed from up higher. We have created this detachment from within our own recourses in 07/08 but will ask for additional recourses in 08/09."

Article and photos by Sergeant Todd Berry

EDITED TO FIX PICTURES

Nice to see that more and more people are joining, and that the RNFLDR is growing :D

Mike Baker said:
Nice to see that more and more people are joining, and that the RNFLDR is growing :D

You failed the reading PO Mike, they are members of the 36 Service Battalion which is a seperate unit than say 1 R NFLD R or 56 Engineer Squadron.

NFLD Sapper said:
You failed the reading PO Mike, they are members of the 36 Service Battalion which is a seperate unit than say 1 R NFLD R or 56 Engineer Squadron.
Whoops, yeah I see that now :-[

Material will be retaught and a Re-test will be scheduled for a later date.

;D

Good to see theyve got Colin Husk teaching the new guys. I was on tour with him, Great Guy and Excellent JNCO

Tommy said:
Good to see theyve got Colin Husk teaching the new guys. I was on tour with him, Great Guy and Excellent JNCO

Actually he's a SNCO now IIRC

Nice to hear about Bay Roberts after so many years.... nice place & nice people.

Good population base on which to build a sub unit.... but, to a certain extent, I am surprised that they chose to establish a Svc Bn sub-sub unit.  Woulda thought an Infantry platoon woulda been easier & less equipment intensive investment.

Oh well - congrats to one and all who contributed to making this happen

CHIMO!

geo, I think all the vehicles are still located here at CFS St. John's as it appears there is no compound in Bay Roberts.

Back