• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New MH Announcement

Well leave it to customs and the weather, no S-92 to be seen this week. We did get a briefing on the CH148 that we're getting. I was quite impressed, here's a few things I thought were quite interesting.

The H92 is built for survivability. One of the leading causes of crashes is pilot error including controlled flight into terrain or CFIT. The H92 has taken cockpit design to the next level, they've lowered the instrument panel to give better forward visibility, it's all electronic fight instruments, there's chin windows so you can see below you (quite common but the Sea King didn't have them), and it's fly by wire! To add on to this, the placement of the fuel cells is a new idea. They're in the sponsons on the side of the aircraft and they're designed to break off in a crash thus separating the fuel from the cabin and helping to prevent post crash fires. Since they moved the fuel cells to the sponsons, that left a large open area in the belly that they've incorporated crumple zones to absorb some of the force on impact. Couple that with the crash seats and it's the safest aircraft in the world as stated by the FAA when they were certifying it.

It's also pretty well protected against small arms fire, the rotor head, blades and fuel cells can handle 7.62mm small arms fire with no ill effects.

It looks like it's going to carry 2 torps and not have a ramp. The cargo door was widened to 52" to facilitate hoisting. It'll fold up small enough to fit in the existing hangar doors on the Halifax class ships though a modification will be required to the haul down system, both to accommodate the nose wheel vice the tail wheel of the Sea King and also it's going to be a lower profile bear trap, only about 6 inches high. Part of the contract is that Sikorsky will be responsible for getting those changes done. The contract also states that the training facilities for the aircrew and techs must be in place and operational 6 months prior to the first aircraft arriving so there's going to be a lot of stuff going on in Shearwater in the near future. The training facilities are going to be in a class of their own, 2 full motion simulators plus about a dozen work stations for the GIBs (guys in back) to practice their stuff. There's also going to be quite extensive training facilities for the techs as well as a hoist trainer built in the 3 story, 70,000 sq ft new complex.

Exciting times are ahead, I'm looking forward to it.  ;D

Cheers

Inch said:
The H92 has taken cockpit design to the next level, they've lowered the instrument panel to give better forward visibility, it's all electronic fight instruments, there's chin windows so you can see below you (quite common but the Sea King didn't have them), and it's fly by wire!

Pardon? Have you looked down at your feet when you are flying? Noticed a window there?  :p

Before you put your foot in your mouth again you should realize that Inch is a Sea King pilot? At 17 I think you have no room to be sarcastic to anyone when you clearly have no understanding in what you are posting.

Sam69 - in your obvious wisdom - Inch must have been mistaken or was he?

Why don't you show me the chin windows that are apparently on the Sea King?

http://www.airforce.forces.ca/equip/grfx/equip_gallery/seaking_ch142b/wallpaper/CH-124ASeaKing9.jpg

If you want to know what chin windows are, you can plainly see them on the Griffon:

http://www.airforce.forces.gc.ca/equip/grfx/equip_gallery/griffon_ch146/wallpaper/Griffon8.jpg

Cheers :p

Sam69, let me explain what a chin window is for. When you're hovering, it's a big help in preventing drift not to mention being able to see what you're hovering over. If you actually READ what I posted, you'll see that I stated the "Sea King didn't have them".

Here's a few more pics of helos with chin windows

Blackhawk, small but still there
http://www.operations.mod.uk/veritas/img/veritas/45cdogp/buzzard_blackhawk_hr.jpg

And a Jet Ranger, quite large, the window not the helo.
http://www.lindauer-fly.ch/fotogallerie_gross/Helicopters/Augusta%20Bell/206B/Heli%20Augusta-Bell%20206B%20Jet%20Ranger%20HB-XUW%20BB%20Heli%20AG%20wef04%2001.jpg

Cheers

Insh, I used to be an instructor for Survival Systems (Mostly firefighting out in Waverly) and have also been through the dunker. I taught there between graduating fire school and getting hired on at SafetyBOSS.

hey Inch .. the other day I was in BC, there are some Helo's [I think they were older Pelicans] being used for hauling dead head logs out of some lakes in the interior over to some barges. There were bubble shaped plexi glass windows port and starboard where the pilot and co-pilot/nav could lean over and look straight down at what where the cable from the hoist was located. [there also appeared to be deck mounted winches inside the bird which fed straight down from inside, i was surmising a heavier winch than normally available?]. 

Have you ever seen a naval helo with a dipping sonar or cargo variant that uses this type of window? Would these "bubbles" even have a naval application?

So who is going to be doing the maintenance on the H92 the military or civie contractor. The reason I ask is that a friend of the family works for Sikorsky Canada and stated that a company in Port Alberni BC is going to be doing the work on them and already have the contract signed. just curious maybe he is talking about something else

Scott, that's pretty cool. Mike Tabor is the guy that teaches dunker here in Dartmouth.

Whiskey, the bubble would be more geared towards slinging than dipping since dipping isn't all that precise as far as positioning goes. Besides, it's pretty hard too tell if you're drifting when everything looks the same (ie the ocean), that's why it's all coupled to the cable, there's sensors that tell what angle the cable is at relative to the airframe, so if the angle gets bigger we're drifting and causing the sonar to "drag" and pull the cable. "George" does the flying while we're in the dip. I can't say I have seen bubbles on naval helos, they're quite common on utility helos for logging or whatnot but not on military ones since we tend to add crew members to spot like the Griffon, when they're slinging, the FE has the door open and they're usually laying on their stomach spotting the cable for the pilots.  SAR aircraft also have bubbles so that the spotters can look down.

CTD, the new contract has us doing 1st and 2nd line maintenance with Sikorsky doing the 3rd line maintenance. That's pretty much what we have in place now for the Sea Kings with IMP aerospace doing the 3rd line maintenance. Don't ask me what exactly they do in 3rd line maintenance, but my understanding is that 3rd line maintenance is the major overhaul stuff.

Cheers

Ex-Dragoon said:
Before you put your foot in your mouth again you should realize that Inch is a Sea King pilot? At 17 I think you have no room to be sarcastic to anyone when you clearly have no understanding in what you are posting.

I know damn well who Inch is... and if you check my profile again you will see that it is 17 years in the mob not 17 years old.

Indicated in the photo below is what I have always heard referred to as the chin window. I think I might have reason to know what I am talking about.

CH-124ASeaKing9chin.JPG

Inch said:
Sam69, let me explain what a chin window is for. When you're hovering, it's a big help in preventing drift not to mention being able to see what you're hovering over. If you actually READ what I posted, you'll see that I stated the "Sea King didn't have them".

Thanks Inch,

I do know what a chin window is, and, although the lower window in the Sea King does not stretch as low as some you are used to, it is still commonly referred to as a "chin" window. I think you would find it much more useful if you had flown the aircraft before they put the current fixed instrument plate holders in, you used to be able to see much more through them.

Cheers,
Sam

Sam, are you superman? If you are you'll know what I'm talking about, my apologies for the curt response but you got the same PM I did from Whiskey601 explaining why. Welcome to the site, it's nice to have another Sea King driver kicking around.

I was always under the impression that the chin bubble was under your feet whereas the floor of the Sea King is solid right out to the window,  but that line of thinking is probably due to my OJT with the Griffon guys and the abundance of TacHel types in Portage.

Cheers

Inch said:
Sam, are you superman?

I'm gonna kill Corax for digging that picture out of pre-history!

Your reply was fine, I just thought it funny that nobody seems to notice the window down there anymore but I suspect it is because it is not as useful as it once was. You are doing a great job of explaining of the MH world to the "great unwashed masses" (   ;D ), I'll just head back to lurking. Seriously, keep the up the great work - I think I've learned a thing or two from your very clear explanations.

Take care,
Sam

whiskey 601 said:
Sam 69, great picture, is that located in Pat Bay?

The picture was actually taken in Shearwater down at Jetty NA (I think that's the right desig - the jetty by FDU(A) in any case). It was taken on 26 Jul 99 as 429 was getting set to embark on HMCS IROQUOIS for SNFL '99.

Sam

Corax, what a guy.  ;)

Thanks, I try my best.

Cheers

I was noticing something when I was reading some threads, Why do you guys call yourselves seaking drivers or Herc drivers? why not pilots?

Just the lingo. Not much more than that. Just like calling army guys crunchies since that's the sound they make when you land on them!  ;)

Cheers

Back