• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New equipment for Shipboad Use

Navalsnpr

Inactive
Reaction score
As most of us have seen in the other threads, there are many companies out there that have equipment that could be suitable or made suitable for shipboard use to assist with the efficiency of the ship and/or the Quality of Life of the crew.

Here are some examples that have been installed since the CPF's were produced:

- Satellite Telephone
- Satellite TV

Are there any products out there that currently aren't onboard our ships that may be a good idea to look at??

I always thought for the Navy if 2 of the .50s HMGs were removed and 2 20mm Oerlikons (or 2 25mm Bushmasters) were installed in place it would add to the defensive firepower and provide better fire support during boardings and MIO.

Ex-Dragoon said:
I always thought for the Navy if 2 of the .50s HMGs were removed and 2 20mm Oerlikons (or 2 25mm Bushmasters) were installed in place it would add to the defensive firepower and provide better fire support during boardings and MIO.

As long as they didn't get hauled out of war storage somewhere, it would be a good idea. The only issue would be finding real estate on the ship to mount the guns. The tankers would be fairly easy, but the 280's and CPF's may be more of a challenge.

I think on the CPFs you could put them on the bridgewings or the quarter deck.

I am unfamiliar with the Orlicons. What is the rate of fire? 50 cal ammo takes up a lot less space than 20mm ammo. Ammunition space is at a premium on CPF's.

Navalgunner take a look at the Oerlikon S20 Naval Mount for technical specs:
http://www.rheinmetall-detec.com/index.php?lang=3&fid=1654&action=pd

As for 20mm ammo taking up a lot of space; maybe but maybe not. While the .50 HMG does pack a lot of punch would not a 20mm autocannon be better. Especially if this day and age of possible   suicide boats packed with explosives. 20mm also can be used for a bigger punch for MIO and in support of boarding ops.

The Oerlikon S20 definately looks like it could be mounted on the Q-Deck of a CPF and be a useful weapons system.

I was suprised to see the Monarc picture. Looks like it should be on a Tank or a Stryker!!

wm_monarc_35_gr.jpg

That gun looks to be in a green camo.  Was it used in the army for another purpose prior?

4 Geosynchronous Satellites to provide all elements with dedicated communications abilities would be nice...

Would anyone want to venture as to the cost of such a procurement!!

For your info most of the navy ships are already equipped with the 20MM Phalanx guns and they are soon to be updated to the Block 1B  Phalanx surface mode version .  This incorporates a side mounted Forward Looking Infared Radar (FLIR) which enables it to engage low slow or hovering aircraft and surface craft. Additionally , the FLIR assists the radar in engageing some ASCM's . Block 1B uses a thermal imager Automatic Acquistion Video Tracker (AAVT) and stablilization system that provides surface mode and electro-optic (EO) angle track. The Block 1B also replaces the Block 0 gun barrels with newer longer heavier gun barrells that improve round dispersion and range and rate of fire is increased to 4,500 rounds per minute and increases magazine capacity to 1,550 . So i don't think its really necessary to replace the .50's as they are intended for use in a little less intimidating circumstances. 

cheers

Stoney,

True, but in a multi threat environment, it would be a definite asset to have another form of 20mm gunnery available to the ship.

Navalsnipr said:
Stoney,

True, but in a multi threat environment, it would be a definite asset to have another form of 20mm gunnery available to the ship.

Especially in light of our recent inshore ops and the threat that explosive laden speedboats now pose to warships.

Huron was deployed post Gulf War 1 with 2 20mm (or was it 40mm?) boffins on either side of the boat deck.  They where installed in a matter of weeks.  Ex Bonaventure, ex Air field defense, ex museum pieces coming to an MCDV near you!!

New kit?  NOMEX COVERALLS LIKE THE SUBMARINERS.  Lets ditch the NCD's!

Nomex coveralls would be a great addition to our sea going kit list only.

I can't see that they would be allowed alongside or on shore postings.

Agree, lets ditch the NCD's and get smart looking NOMEX coveralls for shipboard use only.

It would make it easier on laundry day and for action stations.

I think for naval pers ashore/school/etc. salt/peppers look sharp and professional.

It would be an idea for the Canadian Navy to acquire a Stinger(Manpad) for very close in air defence as a compliment to CIWS/76-57/Missile etc or a TOW weapon system style for small in swarm raids.

I agree with using Coveralls as well, i'd say you could cut off a good couple of minutes in your close up time if you just had to jump into some coveralls, as well as sea-boots with zippers in place of laces.  Jumping into NCD's at action stations just seems counter productive especially when you've just woken up and lack co-ordination.  I still think the NCD's though could work well while a ship is alongside, and up in the school.

Ryan

The coverall issue has been looked at a number of times before.

There isn't a safety issue with them as Fire Fighters and Hull Techs normally wear them at sea. That being said, I think that it's an issue of perception and they way we look.

Coveralls are the way to go.  I love them, but they are really hot during the summer months..  I always thought the Aussies/Kiwis had good coveralls. 

I think the Canadian Navy should go this way, and stop looking like the RN when it comes to NCDs........

As for shipboard use only? 

I see airforce guys walking around in flight suits (coveralls) all the time, so why is it that I can't wear mine out?  (working on the sub who would want to, but the option would be there).  Yes I agree that if you look like a bag of shit, you shouldn't walk out in it.  Be real though, you can't expect a working uniform to be in top notch parade state everyday.

I always wished that they'd come up with a combined NBP/work coverall.  Would have saved me getting changed a lot during Op Apollo. ;D

Back