• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Dress Regs 🤣

My girlfriend who has no idea about the military can spot an ill fitting uniform from a mile away and automatically has a negative opinion of the wearer.

I recently paid out the butt to have last minute tailoring done. I could have just wore the issued tunic straight from logistick and not care that it fit me like a sun dress but I didn't think it was professional.

Angle head flashlights and 10 cent ear plugs for the range. Some people take pride in being frugal
I WAS one of those types who spent their own money, often:

I bought the Regt buckle for the garrison dress...only to then have the belts removed and then later the whole uniform;
I bought my rank badges for the green/tan shirt when I was in the Reserves;
I bought a ranger blanket, because the CAF didn't provide but the CANEX sure sold them;
I bought the american rain jacket for the field because ours sucked serious ass;
I bought Matterhorn and jungle boots, and my own GORTEX socks before they were issued to everyone who goes to the field;
I bought my own kit for my survival kit for the CRAPVEST for IMPACT at about $200 before the CAF could provide LPSVs (that they still fucked up);
I and many others paid for decent desert boots off Shoeme.ca etc for deployments because the steel toe cripplers would get people captured or killed in a E & E situation.
I bought my own multi-colour/lens flashlight, because the issued one is shit and white only.

I could list about 50-75 other things I know I've bought that should have been provided.

I will not pay to have a SS or LS DEU shit tailored. Ever. yes, it looks like a light blue single-person tent out of the package. I've paid for enough stuff in my 33 years...I'm done.

Those of you who are shitting on anyone like me ...go shit on your superiors and get them to change the DEU system and/or add funding for tailoring. It's not my fault, so my "net income" isn't the fucking solution.

Honest to fuck...shitting on members for crappy items the system issues that they won't pay for themselves. Un-fucking-belieable. :rolleyes:

Careful there, you don't want to ruin the narrative and bad reputation that everyone here thinks the same way.

Amen; I have a pair of magnetic shirt stays (which are awesome for any formal clothes; link below for anyone interested). That's as far as I'm going, as long as the CAF has decided to issue DEU shirts that I can fit a few basketballs in around the waist, if I get something that fits my neck/shoulders.

If I look like a shitbag, it's because I'm issued with a cheap cotton sack made for pears.

(these however are awesome; Magnetuck® Shirt Stays Have had them for about 7 or 8 years and the magnets are still insanely strong)

Okay, I've been suitably told to shit in my fist. But, I'll still do what I have to do to look decent, even if the clowns running our outfit refuse to do the right thing.
I will still tell the sailors and officers in my unit to get their DEU's tailored as required because here in Regina the armoury has a good contract with a local tailor and things get done very quickly. I won't be too much of an asshole if they use the excuse as outlined by others in this thread.

I bought my own multi-colour/lens flashlight, because the issued one is shit and white only.
EITS, your Wing Sup section failed you. The system has had white/red/ANVIS flashlights for (checks log book, started flying NVGs in 1991)…a long, long time. Don’t disagree with your choice to not invest in DEU-related svc, but by the same token, some folks don’t mind dropping coin on a bunch of things in ops that may either not be provided at all (perhaps a UOR then, if not in the system?), I saw some funky chest rigs in AFG that some CoCs tolerated, stretchy single-point slings, etc. that were relatively ‘pimp-my-gun’y, so it seems there can be a wide variance in where members are happy to spend their own money.

EITS, your Wing Sup section failed you. The system has had white/red/ANVIS flashlights for (checks log book, started flying NVGs in 1991)…a long, long time.

Hmm. I'll have to check the (newly updated) Aircrew SOI for that. We asked for something like that for IMPACT and were told it's not in the system for us...maybe not on the sub-scale for 'all'?

Don’t disagree with your choice to not invest in DEU-related svc, but by the same token, some folks don’t mind dropping coin on a bunch of things in ops that may either not be provided at all (perhaps a UOR then, if not in the system?), I saw some funky chest rigs in AFG that some CoCs tolerated, stretchy single-point slings, etc. that were relatively ‘pimp-my-gun’y, so it seems there can be a wide variance in where members are happy to spend their own money.

Agreed, and I'm one that will supplement op requirements as needed (life investment...). Begrudingly because I think that should all be at the Crown's expense but my FSP/HA/HA bonus/RA was able to absorb, so not really out of my pocket (my way to not care about the cost).

The issue I see if when supervisors do things like pay out of pocket $100 to have SS shirts tailored for wear with 3B, or any optional type kit "upgrade", operational or otherwise, and then further that expectation down their chain, whatever level they exist at. Turn that energy into pushing it up the chain...long term solution vice short term fix.

When the earth finally cooled and we found ourselves in Cyprus our Work Dress (which was not for work at least not in the Infantry) shirts had been tailored to fit and made into Short Sleeve WD shirts. AND none of us paid a dime.

The issue I see if when supervisors do things like pay out of pocket $100 to have SS shirts tailored for wear with 3B, or any optional type kit "upgrade", operational or otherwise, and then further that expectation down their chain, whatever level they exist at. Turn that energy into pushing it up the chain...long term solution vice short term fix.
EITS, I’m 10000% with you on this!

I thought it was just me, I have a big neck, so according to Logistik I must also be 8 feet tall and weigh 400 lbs.

Right?!?!

If I pay $50 to get them tailored for me, the WCWO etc won’t see how bad these things are and it will continue. If they do see it and no one above me cares, then great they don’t care and neither will I.

If Joe Public sees me and says “why is your shirt so big”, my reply will be “the same reason my airplane rolled off the line 42 years ago”.

I thought it was just me, I have a big neck, so according to Logistik I must also be 8 feet tall and weigh 400 lbs.
With an organization that MANDATES fitness, it is utterly strange that its uniforms would not be designed for athletic fits...

37 years and all I ever had tailored was my Mess Kit and my Patrols. I wore it all as issued.

it’s all perfume on a pig with me. I just do over watch and security now. There’s always someone who prefers to be in the pictures with everyone

I'm happy to pay to have my uniforms tailored out of pocket because QR&O 17.02 tells me the dress and appearance of officers and non-commissioned members shall on all occasions be such as to reflect credit on the Service.

Not "on all occasions providing the Crown pays for it".
With beards and hair now, a lot of people can just redirect the funds they used for shaving and haircuts to tailoring.

Back