• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

NDP Abandons Ship

Charlie started losing votes in droves when he backed the gun confiscation bill. He forgot he serviced Northern Ontario, not Montreal. He likely saw the writing on the wall.
He lost about 5% comparing 2021 to 2019. Whether a straight line can be drawn between the results and the legislation, I suppose people can make their own assumptions. What seems surprising is the People's Party went from 3.4% in 2019 to 13.1%, which is significant.

He lost about 5% comparing 2021 to 2019. Whether a straight line can be drawn between the results and the legislation, I suppose people can make their own assumptions. What seems surprising is the People's Party went from 3.4% in 2019 to 13.1%, which is significant.
Likely non-voters in previous elections who saw someone they deemed worth voting for.

Some ridings are decided before the writ drops, so voters stay home. Sometimes events happen that inspire people who otherwise would not bother voting, to go out and vote.

The Liberals stand to lose far more than the NDP in this scenario. Disaffected NPDers have few choices where blue Liberals have a completely different option.

Long-serving politicians dropping out before an election in which they foresee a term or two on opposition benches unable to achieve anything practical is not novel.

Also significant is the amount of time PP & Co. is spending in that riding and other northern Ontario ridings over the past year or so ...
... which could be leading to numbers shifting in the NDP's internal polling in those areas.

In other news, way to stay civil and classy ....

That a member of another makes negative comments about a departing MP should come as a surprise to no one.

No doubt the Conservatives see northern Ontario as ripe for the picking. Energy costs are higher in the north, both in terms of unit cost and consumption.

That a member of another makes negative comments about a departing MP should come as a surprise to no one.
It isn’t a surprise in today’s politicized world, but it shouldn’t be that way.

It’s possible to be able to disagree with someone’s politics but still respect them enough as a person not to throw shade. I think I make it pretty clear that I disagree with PP’s politics and ways of advancing the CPC agenda, but I have no real opinion on him as a person.

There has never been an era where politicians didn't slag each other. Just like there has never been a noble savage.
I get that.

What I’m trying to say it that it shouldn’t be like that. The fact that it happens doesn’t mean we should just collectively shrug and say “well, it’s always been that way”.

There has never been an era where politicians didn't slag each other. Just like there has never been a noble savage.
Funny how even opponents of Mulroney and Broadbent were gracious, though, on their passing. It seems a lot of people don’t like less civility in politics until someone they agree with or like is uncivil :(

Last edited:
That a member of another makes negative comments tells the truth about a departing MP should come as a surprise to no one.

No doubt the Conservatives see northern Ontario as ripe for the picking. Energy costs are higher in the north, both in terms of unit cost and consumption.
FTFY

It would be funny if he after leaving, he takes a board seat with a mine and tunnelling company in the Ring of Fire before he’s appointed to the inaugural position of Canadian Ambassador to Gaza, also a ring of fire.

I'm not saying it was uncivil, or even incorrect. I just think this type of thing is a cheap shot at somebody who, because of their announcement, will no longer be a threat to PP or his party. At some point in the future, PP will "jump ship rather than face the voters" too. I know what it's like, I just wish it were not so. In spite of all the bluster, they was a lot more bipartisanship in days of yore.

Honestly, this kind of akin to calling out a co-worker as a piece of shit....at their DWD, when you no longer have to work with them, for things that no longer impact you or the work place... just because.

Charlie Angus may have had some policy missteps, but he did what he thought was right for his constituents and his party. That's politics. He's stepping aside, after serving Canada in his role as an MP.

PPs comments, while accurate on the surface, are in poor taste and reflect more poorly on him than Charlie Angus or the NDP.

So why did Charlie vote against the wishes of his constituents? Theoretically he represents them in OW. At least on the gun issue he could have abstained instead he deliberately voted in opposition to the north. He could have gone through one last campaign to stand on his record, instead he quits, basically telling the people that elected him to get stuffed.

So why did Charlie vote against the wishes of his constituents? Theoretically he represents them in OW. At least on the gun issue he could have abstained instead he deliberately voted in opposition to the north. He could have gone through one last campaign to stand on his record, instead he quits, basically telling the people that elected him to get stuffed.
Why would you campaign if you don’t intend to fill the seat? That’s dumb.

Charlie was going off the rails for a while. Thsnk you for your service to Canada. Please have fun in retirement.

Back