• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

MLVW Replacment?

I talked to the Stevenson & Stewart guy about the replacable cab at AUSA, and his take on it was that unarmoured cabs provided better fuel economy and vehicle life due to reduced weight. Leaving armoured cabs off trucks in training establishments and on bases in the US made perfect sense from that perspective, and it is a fairly simple conversion which can be done in theater, or better still, before the truck rolls onto the transport and departs to theater.

I would not want to tilt that cab with all that weight!!!! I have seen one roll before.. no lie.

Kyle said:
Vice-versa. Steyr trucks are built by MAN now. That's why the HLVW has German NATO stock numbers on all the parts. I wondered why that was, until I found out that Steyr sold their truck building operations to MAN.

Not to make anyone sounds dumb.... Steyr is Austrian, not German. Correct me if I am wrong. Sorry about the post jaking.

Arte and Marte...

TN2IC said:
Not to make anyone sounds dumb.... Steyr is Austrian, not German. Correct me if I am wrong. Sorry about the post jaking.

Arte and Marte...

If you read the post again, Steyr being Austrian, would explain his confusion vis a vis their parts having a German NATO Stock Number.  MAN of course is german.

My feelings on this. Keep the MLVW's in the fleet. All you need to do is upgrade the suspendsion (not really needed).
But the brakes on the other hand, they need some work. The brakes been an illegal system since the last one rolled off the line. Switch the brakes to a HD hydrulic system or an air brake system, either way the air over hydrulic system should be removed. If compition rock crawers are useing the same drivetraing we are there has to be a reason for it. If their looking for a vehicle to replace it should be the LSVW. I want to know what was going through KIM CAmbell's head on that one. I think it was something like this ( Oh look, it's such a cute little truck let's sign the contract know). Oh well they're not that bad for a first line MRT if you really know how to look after one.

20+ year old army trucks are a liability in peacetime and do not require a restoration they require a far more cost effective solution, replacement.

Our fleet is suffering from rust out and pimping your ride is not going to fix the problem.

Time to call TLC to fix the MLVW's... image a pimped out MLVW? Watch out... it will happen.

Good another vehicle thread!!  Seems the CF had alot of MAN trucks in Germany......yet they got all sold off, what should we buy???  S&S, Steyr etc.......not a viable option for the CF, for our purchase is too small, thus spares will become an issue.  The MLVW is already a great platform.......readin one of the post about poor braking..........try compression braking and driving for the conditions.  The US Army many M35 2.5/5T vehicles at less than 1/2 the cost of replacement and was able to continue to use its vast supply of replacement parts on vehicles that were built in the 1960's and were able increase mobility and save the taxpayers alot of money in doing so.  Imagine an MLVW, stripped down fully rebuilt, new powerplant, CTIS system, real air brakes etc...........a dependable workhorse that all the techs know how to maintain and doesn't have to deal with the electrial/cpu problems of the FMTV Series trucks.  The LSVW..(gonna start something here) in its original platform is an amazing vehicle as the Iveco 410, its just that when we feel the need to build vehicle in Canada with all new tooling there are many issues.............how many problems do the major automotive manufactures have with an initial production run???/ loads...........to save money all around we need to buy from the existing manufacutres......whom have already worked out the bugs

New models of the MTVR are up in the Oshkosh site for those interested.  Includes dump, tractor and LHS variants.

I remember when they introduced the MLVW to replace the Deuce, we were all excited until we got them. They certainly had lots more power than the 6cyl inline that we had before. But the MLVW suffered from a lot of “Bombardier engineering issues”

The MLVW is a evolution of a design that can trace it’s origins back to WWII. The basic layout is good, it just that the company that built it screwed it up. I remember spring hanger coming off, warped frames, the winch being almost useless and spare tire holder was a POS. The old deuce had a spare tire hanger that allowed one person to easily manoeuvre the tire on and off. Also the steel used in construction was not as good as the deuce.

The MLVW seats however were much better and the Gun tractor version was a step up in luxury for the poor buggers in the back. The basic M35 design is good and can be redone again and just fix what you don’t like from the current version. Jordon makes a armour system for them and adding a basic MG ring like the US did would be simple. 

"Bombardier Engineering Issues"

Likely the same issues that plague the LSVW.

That is the advantage of working with a company that makes thousands of units on permanently established production lines.  They learn from their mistakes.  They  continue in business so they can fix them.  They maintain good quality assurance systems to ensure that they don't make those same costly mistakes again.

Since my overriding concern as I've voiced in other threads is an enemy's ability to determine time & place of ambushes with RPG's and IED's, my lean would be towards the MTVR with heavy add-on armour packs for foreign deployments.

RE:  The MTVR being bigger than the vehicles they would replace which seems to concern some of you, can you elaborate on situations where you see this being a problem?

Thanks in advance,  Matthew.  :salute:

I heard the americans had a large 8x8 that didn't have a disel engin. I was all electric and it had amazing power. It recharged it's batteries whenever it braked. I think i saw it on the discovery channel. So if the discovery channel said it, then it must be true right?

GM, General Dynamics, Oshkosh and Hummer have designed protypes of Hybrid vehicles that are under consideration - more than 30,000 vehicles could be contracted:

trucks.about.com/cs/militarytrucks/a/gm_miltary.htm
www.dodsbir.net/Sitis/view_ pdf.asp?id=HE%208x8%20AHED%2027.pdf
www.nationaldefensemagazine.org/issues/2004/Jan/Military_Vehicles.htm
www.oshkoshtruck.com/pdf/ Oshkosh_HEMMT_A3_w-ProPulse.pdf

At the CI-SQFT, they have a few MilCOTS (Military Commercial Off-The-Shelf) Sterling trucks to replace the ML. At 5 BNS, we don't have any yet, so I haven't seen any, and unfortunately don't know much more about them.

Most of the units when I joined up had a 3-5 ton stake truck that was bought off the street, it saved wear and tear on the MilSpec vehicles for the day to day chores and they generally have more volume than the MilSpec trucks. Good for supporting moves from one base to another for exercises. We managed to keep our for an extra 6 years by doing all of our own maintenance, including axle and engine repairs. The bean counters were desperate to grab it because it had outlived it’s “lifespan” and it was screwing up their books, yet they refused to replace it and it was the most used truck in the fleet. Truly short-sighted thinking.  ::)

I was wondering when someone was going to bump this! I see they mention a mixture of military tactical trucks, specialized stuff like field kitchens, as well as commercial trucks - I take it they mean those big cube trucks?

Yup...the representational photos I've seen look like the old 5 ton stakes... The actual vehicle could be anything, though.

Back