• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"Military closes bars after arrest" - Military illiteracy strikes again

Corrections have been made to the online story - though not perfect.  They have "Lorne Scots regiment" but better than it was.  The references to Cadets have been removed.

Just checked and found corrections made - I give credit where credit is due.

Here's a question.  According to the article the accident occurred at about 4:45 a.m..  What time did the Mess close?  Is it possible that this guy had a beer at the Mess (or none) and then went drinking elsewhere?

PMedMoe said:
Here's a question.  According to the article the accident occurred at about 4:45 a.m..  What time did the Mess close?  Is it possible that this guy had a beer at the Mess (or none) and then went drinking elsewhere?

Those questions are, probably part of the ongoing investigation.  Due to the publication ban in this case (whatever happen to open courts?), it will probably be some time before we find out the answers.

PMedMoe said:

Really not a factor.  Whether or not the bar closed really doesn't matter if the person was on a drinking binge.  When a person has been "out on the town" and partaking in "heavy drinking" their Blood Alcohol level will remain high for several hours.  That means, even if a person went home after the bar closed (at the legal time), went to bed and then drove to work the next morning, they could still be over the Legal Limit and Charged with being Impaired under the Highway Safety Act.  It has happened many times in the past, and came as quite a surprise to many of those caught and Charged.

That is true, George.  I guess I was just wondering which bar the guy was last drinking in as they would be the ones "responsible" for serving him, according to the "no personal accountability" law.

PMedMoe said:
That is true, George.  I guess I was just wondering which bar the guy was last drinking in as they would be the ones "responsible" for serving him, according to the "no personal accountability" law.

Exactly,

But until that can be determined, I understand why they closed the mess' and are conducting the investigation to ensure who is liable.

dileas

tess

I wonder if the mess members can ask to be compensated for some of their mess dues  :)

I see it this way. Closing the mess after an incident like this is the CF taking precautions until they get all the facts. Its the right thing to do IMO.

If the investigation finds that the messes were not responsible, then at least the CF took a proactive measure. If its the other way around, think about damaging that would be to the CF. Look at what some other blackeyes have done to us publicly.

Another straight up fact. MCpl Bakai killed two innocent people. End story. If the stroy was a drunk civy smashed up and killed 2 CF members, you all know how damn fired up we would be.

So closing the mess is no big deal when look at the loss of two fathers to two families.

I understand the precautions.

Just something about shutting down the 3 messes because someone drank there seems strange. Like what do they intend to find? That he was drinking?  Or if he should have been cut off,will the bartenders hand for it? What about other JNCOs who were present, will they be charged too? Can they be charged?

Flawed Design said:
.......... Like what do they intend to find? That he was drinking?  Or if he should have been cut off,will the bartenders hand for it? What about other JNCOs who were present, will they be charged too? Can they be charged?

They will investigate all of those points.  If the bartender knowingly served him when he was not legally supposed to will be questioned.  Did he hide in a corner and was not seen by the bartender and was servered by his buddies, will also be investigated.  If so, should charges be laid against his friends, will also be looked at.  What hours was he present in any of these Messes, will also be investigated.  So, in the end all the questions will be asked and answered.

Four years from killing two dads while driving drunk

Artilcle link

BRAMPTON - John Bakai had hoped to be deployed to Afghanistan by now.

Instead, the suspended army reservist convicted of killing two fathers while driving the wrong way on Hwy. 403 has been sent off to serve a four year sentence in federal prison.

On his release, Bakai will also be prohibited from driving for another nine years.

There was no anger at the sentence handed down Friday — four years was proposed by both Crown and defence — but only tears from both sides, for there are only losers in such a senseless tragedy.

Gentle sobbing filled the courtroom as Justice Bruce Durno accepted Bakai’s “deep” remorse and his guilty plea as mitigating factors when considering the 27-year-old’s sentence for driving drunk and causing the deaths of Pablo Guzman and Herminio Del Valle.

Durno noted the horrible irony that Bakai failed to learn from his own family history: his two grandfathers were killed under similar circumstances in his native Romania.

And the judge had harsh words for the scourge that is impaired driving.

“Twenty-five years ago, the court of appeal noted that every drinking driver is a potential killer,” the judge said. “It’s not just a mistake, it’s not just an error in judgment.

“The danger created by a drunk driver’s conduct is not unlike that of a drunken man walking down the street firing a handgun.”

On May 2, 2008, Bakai was stopped for impaired driving on the QEW and issued a warning and a 12-hour driving suspension.

But he’d obviously not learned his lesson.

On Sept. 11, the master corporal in the Lorne Scot Regiment drove his own vehicle to the Brampton armoury — rather than taking the bus rented for the occasion — to continue celebrating a change-of-command ceremony that had begun in Georgetown.

Witnesses saw the Burlington man consume three beers and then a “boot” that contained three more. He was so drunk that he was told by two people to sleep it off at the armoury.

“He clearly ignored the advice,” Durno noted.

At 4:30 a.m. Guzman, 48, of Woodbridge and his best friend Del Valle, 44, of Toronto were on their way to work when Bakai’s pickup truck inexplicably made a U-turn on Hwy. 403 and slammed head on into their Toyota Corolla.

The car burst into flames and neither man could be extricated. Guzman left behind three children, Del Valle, two daughters and a step-daughter.

“Two families have been devastated by John Bakai’s criminal conduct,” Durno said.

Both immigrants from the Dominican Republic, the two friends were the sole breadwinners in their families.

Six victim impact statements were filed with the court, including several heartwrenching pictures drawn by the fatherless children. Six-year-old Santiago Guzman drew a car with his father in it. His brother Victor, 10, drew his dad’s gravestone, and the dark clouds above it.

So is four years enough for the taking of two lives? Considering recent cases, it’s actually considered a stiff sentence for a first-time offender.

And at least he seems to understand the devastation he has wrought.

The haunted man stood before the tearful widows and their children and tried his best to apologize for tearing their world apart.

“I don’t seem to have the words to express how deeply sorry I feel,” Bakai said, his voice shaking. “I acknowledge fully how painful it must be for the families...I accept full responsibility for my actions for this tragedy.”

Bakai told the court he’s sought counselling, abstains from alcohol and speaks to youth groups about the dangers of drinking and driving.

“This experience has been and will always continue to be the hardest lesson of my life,” he said.

To their enormous credit, despite their sorrow and their pain, they appear willing to forgive.

“We are Christians,” explained Pastor Hector Del Valle, Herminio’s older brother, “and especially because he has apologized.”

And yet it all could not have come on a more difficult day, he said. Friday is the day both men were killed, and Sept. 24 would have been his brother’s 47th birthday.

That's Brutal.

"Justice Bruce Durno accepted Bakai’s “deep” remorse and his guilty plea as mitigating factors when considering the 27-year-old’s sentence"
In a case like this should someone's "deep remorse" really be a factor?  I can't find myself to care that he feels bad for what happened. He mad multiple chances to do the right thing, starting back in 2008 and ignored them.

Come again? He had multiple chances to do the right thing starting in 2008? Can you explain the whole multiple chances remark?

Come again? He had multiple chances to do the right thing starting in 2008? Can you explain the whole multiple chances remark?

Perhaps this?

On May 2, 2008, Bakai was stopped for impaired driving on the QEW and issued a warning and a 12-hour driving suspension.

But he’d obviously not learned his lesson.

On Sept. 11, the master corporal in the Lorne Scot Regiment drove his own vehicle to the Brampton armoury — rather than taking the bus rented for the occasion — to continue celebrating a change-of-command ceremony that had begun in Georgetown.

Witnesses saw the Burlington man consume three beers and then a “boot” that contained three more. He was so drunk that he was told by two people to sleep it off at the armoury.

“He clearly ignored the advice
,” Durno noted.

ArmyRick said:
Blackadder beat me too it.

Previous 12 hour suspension. Taking his own vehicle when alternate transportation was laid on. Choosing to drive when people told him to sleep it off.
Do you disagree that he had multiple chances to do the right thing?

Gotcha. That makes sense. I was aware he killed two men but unaware he was stopped prior to that.

Back