• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Membership in Cadets AND the Reserve

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdn031

Inactive
Reaction score
Reaching out to the Brain Trust with a question from one of my Cadets:

"Can a young person, say age 16 to 18 be a member of the Army Cadets and the Reserves at the same time?"

I know this WAS possible - 'cause I was, as were many of my pals
and I cant seem to find any legal reason why not.
Is there an unfamiliar Queens reg etc out there that forbids it?

(Disclaimer: I DID search - so if this has been covered, Its not that I'm lazy, merely an incompetent searcher!!)

Take good care

Yes. Just that any activities involving the Reserves should take precedence over any Cadet activities.

Infact, a Cadet from my corps(C/Sgt.) is enrolled in the reserves, but still parades at the corps. She usually can't make it to the expeditions and for anything formal(like a mess dinner) she would be wearing her DEU(at the request of the CO) as Pte(R). And, another one is joining up as well. So, it must be possible.

GridNorth said:
Reaching out to the Brain Trust with a question from one of my Cadets:

"Can a young person, say age 16 to 18 be a member of the Army Cadets and the Reserves at the same time?"

I know this WAS possible - 'cause I was, as were many of my pals
and I cant seem to find any legal reason why not.
Is there an unfamiliar Queens reg etc out there that forbids it?

(Disclaimer: I DID search - so if this has been covered, Its not that I'm lazy, merely an incompetent searcher!!)

Take good care

Yes, here is the reference CATO 13-07

http://www.cadets.ca/_docs/cato-oaic/1307_b.pdf

The difficulty comes in the time required to give to both organizations.  Further, when the person is in their CF uniform he/she is under a different set of rules and regulations (CSD) than a cadet.  Also, a cadet who is also a member of the CF when on CF property, ships, etc. is also under the CSD no matter the dress is subject to higher sanctions than a cadet only would be.  See the last para of the reference.

Some youngsters have difficulty making the distinction that being a cadet and being a member of the CF is different. 

This has been covered. Please do a search.

Milnet.ca Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back