• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Man killed by Winnipeg police was former Canadian Forces member: sources

Well I'd view it more of a personal attack, or an non grammatically correct sweeping attack, since he failed to pluralize it.

I've heard (stand back Kev's up on his soapbox again) that a prevalent view is that the military views suicide as weak, and that the "suicide by cop" routine could be viewed as more "manly"
Regardless - I feel bad for the officers involved in the shooting.

Infidel-6 said:
Well I'd view it more of a personal attack, or an non grammatically correct sweeping attack, since he failed to pluralize it.

I've heard (stand back Kev's up on his soapbox again) that a prevalent view is that the military views suicide as weak, and that the "suicide by cop" routine could be viewed as more "manly"

+1
I agree.

I agree too. When I was in Esquimalt in 96-01 a guy jumped in front of a transport on the Malahat to commit suicide. The poor truck driver was never able to get behind the wheel again.

One thing that has not been said here....... A comrade has departed from our tiny band.  May he rest in peace.  Regardless of who, how or why!

Infidel-6 said:

I agree with Kev on this one too... hell even the thought of admiting one has an OSI (ie PTSD) can be viewed as weak. Not from the army side of things (ive noticed they are accually quite supportive on the issue) but rather from the member him or herself... thinking "how can I have it? i didnt have it that hard as some of the guys/gals over there..." or what not... they see themselves as weak, or a lesser soldier for having it, regardless of whether its true or not. so much along that vein, perhaps he felt this was a better way to go out. let someone else make the choice in a sense... 

in any case its a crap situation for all parties involved. I just hope the Officers involved arnt blameing themselves... it sounds like they tried everything they could to prevent it....

IN HOC SIGNO said:
Quite right Roy. I remember a few years ago a guy posted at Leitrim being court martialed and punted.....there was some Outlaw motorcycle activity and other nefarious dealings that brought this guys security clearance into jeopardy etc. the media painted that one as a "Decorated CF Veteran" Turns out he had a CD. Well I suppose technically he had a "decoration" but it's hardly the same as a VC or an MC hitting the skids is it?? The average joe public who watches way too much US television thinks a decoration means that the guy is a war hero of some kind.

Not questioning the "decorated CF veteran" issue, but I want to clarify on that individual.  The situation at Leitrim was blown out of proportion by a number of folks.  Person in question was neither court martialed or punted, although he was given plenty of bad press.  He has soldiered on and served his country with distinction, at home, and on mission.

My thoughts are with the family, and the officers involved.

As for the media attention on his connection to the CF, it should not be unexpected.  Whenever something good happens to a Regular or Reserve member of the CF we often see mention made of their CF affiliation.

So sad it had to come to this.

EW said:
Not questioning the "decorated CF veteran" issue, but I want to clarify on that individual.  The situation at Leitrim was blown out of proportion by a number of folks.  Person in question was neither court martialed or punted, although he was given plenty of bad press.  He has soldiered on and served his country with distinction, at home, and on mission.

Trust the MSM to get it all balled up and then not bother to follow up eh?

I was being sarcastic.  Most - nearly all - people who have died as a result of "being tasered" did in fact die of causes which did not really involve the electric shock.

Back