• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Looking for a MARPACORD

catalyst

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone out there would be able to post/send me the marpacord for 'personal appearance'? I have a 60 day hair growing period (its just past the collar) but am out  and about working at the airport. I seem to recall reading in there about how if you were granted this, you would not be permitted to wear your uniform out in public. I could be totally wrong.....but I don't want to look like a dork when some senior officer/CPO/NCO comes through Victoria airport and sees me with my slightly longer hair (it has happened - not to me).

Tell them you're JTF, that'll make your appearance plausible  ;D

To get the latest on any Dress related item, you should call the Base CPO office. There may be an amplifying MARPACGEN message or amendments to the MARPACORD.

Just call the Base information line and ask the operator for the Base Chief's Office

To be honest, I'm pretty sure it's only men growing out beards that are not allowed to wear uniform in public.  There's no reference to that in CFP 265, I think it's a MARCORD or something like that.  I'll see what I can find you on the BCPO's website tomorrow - hopefully the west coast BCPO has his/her website set up as nicely as the east coast's.

CFP 265 does state, for women's hair styles:  "With the permission of a Commanding Officer, a reasonable period may be authorized in order to transition from short to long hairstyles, during which time hair may extend below the lower edge of the shirt collar; all the while maintaining a positive military appearance, and subject to the member’s safety".  That would lead me to believe that women are permitted to wear their uniforms during a growing-out period.

Here's the link - http://marcom-comar.mil.ca/marc-ocom/marcords-eng.asp?vol=1  -  look for order 17-02.  You can find these by going to the Base Splash page - there's a link there to the MARPACORDS and MARPACGENS.

MM

I'm dinless :( and my normal din-go-getter is out of the office.

I'll just say I am JTF, JTF-CIC that is :D

The rule is simple - will not appear in public in uniform until inspected and approved by the CO.

From CFP 265 Dress Instructions Chapter 2 Section 2 Para 5b:

Hair shall not extend below the lower edge of the shirt collar (see below.) Exaggerated styles, including those with  xcessive fullness or extreme height, are not authorized. Braids, if worn, shall be styled conservatively and tied tightly: secured at the end by a knot or a small unadorned fastener. A single braid shall be worn in the centre of the back. Double braids shall be worn behind the shoulders. Hair shall be a maximum length when gathered behind the head and braided which does not extend below the top of the armpit. Multiple braids (cornrows) shall be directed toward the back of the head, pulled tight to the head and secured at the end by a knot or a small-unadorned fastener. Multiple braids extending below the lower edge of the collar are to be gathered in a bun. With the permission of a Commanding Officer, a reasonable period may be authorized in order to transition from short to long hairstyles, during which time hair may extend below the lower edge of the shirt collar; all the while maintaining a positive military appearance, and subject to the member’s safety.
(Emphasis mine)
Get the permission in writing and ensure you keep a copy of the memo with you.

The MARPACORD amplifies it to say what can and cannot be worn in the hair during the grow out period...of course I'm writing from home, so can't give exact wording...nowhere did it mention not being in uniform.

MM

Back