• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Leave Program - Special Christmas/New Years Travel [MERGED]

A

alman

I've heard about spaces being sometimes available on service aircraft on transatlantic flights for military personnel. All I could track down on the web was an order on the subject at www.forces.gc.ca/admfincs/subjects/cfao/020-20-e.asp which of course is tediously detailed but also lacking any specific information.
I'll explain my situation so that anyone who has experience with this service can comment on my particular situation.
Planned date of departure still several years away (still in the "thinking about it" stage). I will have about five years of service in the Reserve and the rank of corporal by that time. I understand this is calculated into some sort of points system whereby priority for available space is determined. I will be looking for any flight from Ottawa or Trenton to any European destination (ie. Lahr). I hear that few spaces are available during the summer so I will probably aim for autumn but I'm flexible. Purpose of trip: travel while exempt drill and training. Duration: approx three months. Round trip flight preferred but one-way acceptable. Will be travelling alone. Naturally I would rather not have to wear my uniform over to Europe and then have to mail it home or lug it around everywhere with me.
Any info on procedures for requesting this service, the odds of actually obtaining it at the ncm level, and where I can access some kind of flight schedule in order to plan ahead would be greatly appreciated. Thankfully I am in absolutely no hurry.  
Thanks in advance for any responses,
Alman    

If you are planning this far in advance also plan to save airfare. Definitely no guarantee's of a return flight. Yes uniform required for service flights. Service requirements could bump you. You are talking 5 years down the road and your or the military situation could be greatly different than what you now expect.
For a once in a lifetime holiday, also plan to buy your airfare.  Why risk something screwing up your plans.

Best Wishes

What "service flights" are we talking about here?

As far as I know, the regularly scheduled CF service flights and points system were scrapped years ago, and replaced by the practice of buying commercial tickets as required. There is no longer a military air terminal at Ottawa-all DND flights (except for VIPs) are by commercial air out of Ottawa International. The only thing left (again as far as I know...) that even approximates "service flights" any more are the mission sustainment flights that run into mission areas on a regular schedule. These are not "hop-ons": as far as I know-you have to have an operational reason to be travelling to the mission area. (Maybe one of our Air Force friends can correct me here.)

As well, you might find Lahr a bit lonely-we closed the base there years ago.

Thanks X Royal and pbi. Don't worry I'm not getting my hopes up on this one (if this service even still exists) I'm just looking into it. I plan to go two or two and a half years from now (not five but I definitely get your point) so I thought I'd post the question here instead of bothering anyone at the unit. Believe me, when it comes to serious planning most of my efforts will go to finding some discount airfare. As for Lahr... ooops :-[ 

pbi said:
What "service flights" are we talking about here?

As far as I know, the regularly scheduled CF service flights and points system were scrapped years ago, and replaced by the practice of buying commercial tickets as required. There is no longer a military air terminal at Ottawa-all DND flights (except for VIPs) are by commercial air out of Ottawa International. The only thing left (again as far as I know...) that even approximates "service flights" any more are the mission sustainment flights that run into mission areas on a regular schedule. These are not "hop-ons": as far as I know-you have to have an operational reason to be travelling to the mission area. (Maybe one of our Air Force friends can correct me here.)

As well, you might find Lahr a bit lonely-we closed the base there years ago.

pbi, I think you're pretty well bang on here. I've taken service flights before but that was back in 96-97 and they were chartered flights on Canadian Airlines. We used to take them from Toronto to Calgary to go skiing on weekends. To my knowledge this service ceased when Canadian was bought out by Air Canada. Every flight I've taken since then has been on commercial airlines, except of course when I'm doing the flying!  ;D

I know they do Christmas service flights but I don't know much about them and I doubt they go overseas. I think they're basically milk runs across the country, but again, the only time I've ever seen anything about them is leading up to the Christmas break.

Thanks, Inch. I did not know that we still had Christmas flights-are they on points like they were years ago? Cheers.

I really couldn't tell you. I've never looked into them since they'll still leave me about a 3hr drive from home, not to mention that they don't fly out of Halifax and I'd have a 1-2hr drive to Greenwood on top of the 3 or so hours home from Trenton. It just wasn't worth the hassle so I punted the message when I got it. I think it's either a CANFORGEN or a CANAIRGEN.

I wish I could answer your question but I really don't know the details.  :-[

No real points system anymore - it's just a matter of priority.   If you are a single member and going home for the holidays - you are pretty much guaranteed a spot on the Airbus/Herc.   You must reserve a flight before a certain cut-off date - after that date it is open to all members of the CF and their dependents at a lower priority level.

DIN access:    http://airforce.mil.ca/cffi/Flight_Info/Index_e.htm

Uniforms are not required for General Leave Pax: Reference CANFORGEN 128/97

Uniforms: All DEU 3 and 4 orders of dress are authorized. Combats and flying suits are also authorized;

Civilian Clothing: Civilian attire shall be of a high standard and personnel shall be well groomed. Jeans and athletic shoes are authorized, provided they are clean and neat.

Not authorized: Sports type T-shirts, tank tops, cut-off jeans, shorts, sandals and sweat suits are not authorized;

Some scheduled flight information that may help you out with your vacations plans:

ARRIVE                                              DEPART
                      TRENTON                    TUE
WED                GEILENKIRCHEN            WED
WED                ZAGREB                      THURS
THURS            GEILENKIRCHEN            THURS
THURS            TRENTON
GEN LVE AUTHORIZED TRENTON - GEILENKIRCHEN â “ TRENTON ONLY

Please keep in mind that these flight are scheduled bi-weekly and are subject to cancellation at a moments notice.

Ok, seen. Forgive me for flogging this, but is the schedule shown a Christmas one only, or is it all year long as the Service Flights were? Cheers.

The schedule shown was one of about 4-5 year round schedules that the CF maintains.

Christmas schedules are not posted online - you should be able to get a copy of it from your OR starting in mid to late September.

Cities served during Christmas Flights are as follows:

Greenwood, NS
Trenton, ON
Winnepeg, MB
Edmonton, ALTA
Vancouver, BC
Comox, BC

There may be others (ie in Quebec somewhere)...

another option is to catch a US service flight. I am not to sure where the web site is for them but one of my troops did this a year or two ago. They have regular flights all around the world. They required a authorized leave pass to be eligible for the flight but that was not a problem. try looking on the US military site to find out more info. hope this might help you out or any one else that might be checking into this. Also the US has a extensive leave destination program of resorts that as a memeber of the forces you can apply for. you get put low on the priority list but still it is worth it. Also if you are travelling around Europe make sure you visit some of the bases of our Allies over their. The troops are friendly and the Beer is always good.

Hey all. I had a neighbour before that was in the reserves as well, and he told me that the CF had a special phone number that soldiers could call and if a flight was available could piggyback on a flight anywhere the plane was going. Is this true? If so whats the number?

National Passenger Service Centre (TRENTON)

http://trenton.mil.ca/2AMS/npschome_e.htm

1-800-823-3857

Does this include dependants as well or just military personel.  >:D

some one beat me to it. call them and ask all your questions they can answer them in full.

It's an intranet link. Use the phone number if its not working for you

I am not in the forces as of yet.  Is there any reason why people who know don't post info about this on here?  It could comfort my family to know the answers to the questions above.

Anyone can use it in your immidiate family. They need the Military family ID card along with some other paperwork.  But its risky too, if you need to be back by a specific time, as if all of a sudden they have a lot of personell going on that flight last minute - your not going to get your spot. 

Back