• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

LAV III Mobile Gun System (MGS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
ArmyRick said:
I talked to a couple of our older armoured guys and even they admitted a 76mm HESH round was pretty nasty thing to have flying at an enemy bunker or even firing a 76mm canister round.

The high trajectory is also good for getting into those 'nooks and crannies' that higher velocity weapons can't reach.

If I read George correctly though, he wants it mounted on tracks and therefore make it more cross country capable. Right George?

I agree with George a Wheeled LAV is not a tank, no matter what infantry types think.

OK, what is your point? Yeah, we get it, LAVs and MGS are not tanks but guess what? A Leopard 2 is not an IFV nor is a M113 a Helicopter.

Seriously, follow the thread a bit. If you want to make the point that the MGS should not be used in the role of a tank, then maybe state that.

Good day gentleman. In reguards to the cougar, there where a few problems with it. 
            1. the lack of fire power
            2. lacked stabilization
            3. lacked a descent night site
            4. lacked accuracy and the list goes on
All of these problems can be  addressed, my question is... Did at any time anyone look into addressing these issues? Some time ago I put some thought in to it and came up with the following.
            1. use cryogenics to man. the war head  .. a swiss company was using the process to man. the 60mm HVG ammo. it stated the HESH round performed like a 85mm round. So what would a 76mm HESH be like.
            2. increase the barrel length from 23 cal. to 32-34 cal. long and intergreat a muzzle break and fume extractor, This would allow for a higher muzzle vol., improved accuracy, less felt recoil  and allow for  a full charge of proplent. I believe it was reduced dew to turret cracking.
            3. possibly use the auto loader from the Israeli 60mm HVG.  I know it is limited to 3 or so preloaded rounds but that is better then nothing.
            4. mount the turret on a lower profile wheeled hull ie. a  cut down LAV hull or a stretched Lynx type hull or both
This would not be a trainer, it would replace the coyote in the Direct Fire Support role or Recce role. If you added the Starstreak missile you have a very useful system. By using both wheeled and tracked platforms both Reg. and Res. would have a common weapon system and allow for full integration of both Reg. and Res. with little additional training on overseas missions.
              5. and of course the rest of the bell and whistles, Stab it, Thermal site, laser range finder... etc.
  One last thought I believe this gun would not support APDS rounds. So adding the Starstreak would be a great help. Sorry to all you arty types, the Starstreak missle does step on your toes as it is a anti-air/anti-armour missle, and I believe it is the of the future of all missiles.
  You could of course pick up some surplus CVRT's from Spain and up gun them to a 90mm, re out fit the cougar and away we go!! Cheers all. 

This thread was dead for two years.  It did not need to restart to simply restate (again) that "an MGS is not a tank", or to create a discussion on resuscitating the COUGAR which has been relegated to gate guard status already.

Locked.

Milnet.ca Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back