• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Laptops in Afghanistan?

Korus

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Has anyone here taken a laptop on tour to Afghanistan? Any feedback on it, i.e. did you have problems with the heat/dust?

My current laptop is getting kind of useless for anything other than surfing the internet and playing DVDs (It can barely run my CAD programs and  can't play any new games.. But then again, laptops aren't quite meant for high end performance anyways), and I'm debating wether or not to risk getting a new one before I go overseas or not. The biggest thing I'm worried about is having my investment get destroyed....

I had mine (a brand new Toshiba) the entire tour - no problems.  I kept it wrapped up and in the case when not using it - it is very, very dusty in both Kandahar and Kabul.

A word to the wise - our movements pers became anal about hand carrying laptops on the chalk home (in addition to your small pack).  Mine made the return trip in a barrack box (in the case and securely wrapped) - again no issues.

Baby the thing the entire time as I did (and plan for deployment and redeployment) and you should be OK.

Cheers,

TR

is there a source for internet available, on base? particularily wireless??

They have an internet cafe that has a number of computers for internet use.  There is no internet hookups for personal laptops.

It also may be a good idea to have customs verify that you own the laptop prior to deploying so that they don't try and ding you with taxes on your return.

In the Navy, prior to overseas deployments, Customs comes onboard and fills out cards for everyone who intends to bring electronic devices, mountain bikes, golf clubs etc. Upon your return if there is a problem, you just produce the pre-clearance card and thats it.

Navalsnipr

Good advice. I always make sure I have copies of the bill of sales for my digital camera  and lap top (and any other high end items like the domestic niner's jewelry) packed with all my other travel docus when I go travelling. Never been stopped checked queried on it on return yet, but can save you a lot of headaches if you do get sent to the red line.

Good point.  Here in Edmonton, there's usually an appointed time in the predeployment cycle for the customs guys to take note of your high-priced items.  I've always registered laptop, camera, etc..  It can save a lot of hassle on redeployment.

TR

Make sure you buy a case for your laptop, the dust storms get into everything. Also talk to the sigs types to see if they have any compressed air cans. Its doubtfull since they are hard to transport to that altitude.

Laptops in Afghanistan are great though for watching pirated movies and you can also type letters home and move them to the internet computors by memory sticks.

Oops pirated movies are illegal......forget that.

pirated movies are illegal ,digital back upsof what you own  are not

axeman said:
pirated movies are illegal ,digital back upsof what you own   are not

Then again....some of the software to do those backups is now 'illegal'..... ;D

(I like DVDXCopy Platinum, but find the used deals at Blockbuster cheaper and easier.)

Some good FREE programs to rip and burn backups of movies are; DVD decrypter and dvd shrink.  I use shrink to rip the movie and shrink it so it can fit on a single DVD and use nero to burn it but there is an option in shrink that you can use decrypter to burn it.  Here's a good site with lots of info and all the downloads you need to do the deed. http://www.doom9.org/
If your just ripping the movies to your hard drive then you might want to get something like DIVX or another encoder that can change the format of the video so one movie doesn't take up over 1gb. 

Back