• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Korean War Vet Assistance

AirDet

Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm going to pose a question here for one of our Sgts: He's helping a Korean War Vet with some medical issues. During their conversations the Sgt discovered he had saved a man's life in combat (shot in the face). VAC has recognized his injuries with 100% claim. However, is there a way to verify and award him for his gallantry in battle?

Ideas?!

Not sure if this helps.  they might be able to point you in the right direction.

To obtain information on military honours or to make an application for or obtain a replacement of a modern Canadian, United Nations or NATO award, consult the publications below or contact the Honours and Awards Section of the Directorate of History and Heritage:

The Honours, Flags and Heritage Structure of the Canadian Forces, A-AD-200-000/AG-000

Canadian Forces Dress Instructions, A-AD-265-000/AG-001

www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhh-dhp/
1-877-741-8332

To make an application for or obtain replacements of First and Second World War medals as well as those related to the Korean conflict (with the exception of the Canadian Volunteer Service Medal for Korea), contact Veterans Affairs Canada:

www.vac-acc.gc.ca
1-877-995-5003

Honours and Awards
Veterans Affairs Canada
66 Slater Street, Suite 1411
Ottawa ON K1A 0P4

Honours and Awards
Directorate of History and Heritage
National Defence Headquarters
101 Colonel By Drive
Ottawa ON K1A 0K2

AirDet said:
However, is there a way to verify and award him for his gallantry in battle?

Ideas?!

May find some here,

Honours & Awards (merged)
https://army.ca/forums/threads/2564.200
17 pages.

This might be your answer here:

Question
What is the process for recommending awards to Canadian Forces' individuals or units, such as Bravery Awards (BA), Meritorious Service Decorations (MSD), Mentions-in-Dispatch (MID), Chief of the Defence Staff Commendations or Canadian Forces Unit Commendations?

Answer
The Canadian Forces Decorations and Commendations Advisory Committee (CFDCAC ) meets quarterly to consider nominations for these awards. Recommendations that are not received in time for the current meeting are placed on the agenda of the next available meeting. Recommendations for awards stemming from operations, either outside Canada or domestic (such as the Winnipeg floods, Ice Storm 98, etc) are forwarded, through the chain of command, to the Deputy Chief of the Defence Staff for approval. Other recommendations are forwarded through the chain of command. Once approved by the Committee, recommendations for BAs, MSDs, MIDs are sent to the Governor General for approval. It should be noted that military recommendations for bravery awards should be initiated not more than 30 days after the incident has occurred and include witness statements. The Government will not adjudicate bravery awards received more than two years after the event.

It could be in the Unit's War Diary. It depends on how well the Diary was recorded. If the Int O was very busy, possibly the events were not recorded as well as they could have been. Reading my units War Diary it is sometimes surprising the detail, but I have been told that our Diary was not the best and that's the reason why gallantry awards were not what they could have been.

In one instance (without looking it up) the Diary recorded Sgt Blogins of the Scout Pl's patrol and encounters/action, thus individuals were named. If this Vet saved a soldiers life, was this action reported to the Pl Comd, who brought up at the Coy O Gp after the event, then the Coy Comd brought it up at the Bn O Gp, and the Int O recorded the info in the War Diary?

Required info would be Unit, approx. date to narrow the War Diary search. Then off to Archives. A quick search of Korean War for PPCLI's WD, indicated not available on line.

Old Sweat will have will better info I am sure.

I expect that submission timelines were as restrictive during the Korean War as they are now.  Another thing to consider is that the current Canadian honours did not exist during that period and when Canada started developing its own honours system the regulations usually (IIRC) contained a statement about date of eligibility - often the date that the decoration was legally established (or within a very restrictive previous timeframe).  You may find that current Canadian valour or bravery decorations can only be given for actions happening in the 1970s onward.  In essence, it would be the then contemporary (British) decorations and their eligibility criteria that would apply to the vet in question.

While it may not be an appropriate award to suitably recognize the deeds of this former soldier, I'll bring your attention to this http://overseas.mofa.go.kr/ca-en/brd/m_5231/view.do?seq=730708  in case he has not previously applied.

Link does not work for me.

Although, as stated above, re new Cdn Honours and Awards were established, the MID was awarded previously and was reintroduced in 1990 with no changes to the hardware.

Rifleman62 said:
Link does not work for me.

Although, as stated above, re new Cdn Honours and Awards were established, the MID was awarded previously and was reintroduced in 1990 with no changes to the hardware.

But when the MID was re-instituted, the then applicable CFAO 18-27 stated

ELIGIBILITY

4.    Members of the Canadian Forces on active service and other individuals
working with or in conjunction with the Canadian Forces on or after
November 1, 1990
are eligible for the award of the Insignia.

I don't know if that CFAO has been superseded.

The link is to a Republic Of Korea embassy page for their "Ambassador for Peace Medal".

The MID is a great idea. I'll pass that along to the Sgt working with this gentleman. Thanks. [cheers]

Back