• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

JTF-2 Selection

You do realize that JTF2 does not recruit you based on combat experience or combat related skills right? If there is a slot opening any trade that meats the recruiting requirements for JTF2 is permited entry...

They do take all trades and have lots of people from all trades in them.  You probably would not be able to tell what trade a person is without asking them. 

So we are to honestly believe that Canada's most elite soldiers were at one point potentially cooking meals and repairing vehicles?

Not that there is a thing wrong with any non combat MOC, but wouldn't there be a much higher likelihood of a seasoned combat arms professional making it through the JTF-2 training.  I'm sure lots of people are capable of getting in shape enough to meet the physical requirements, but I just have a hard time accepting that it isn't designed to favour the combat arms trades. 

I mean when CSOR was formed they didn't grab a bunch of electricians and mechanics and train them up, they took a huge chunk of one of the RCR battalions.

Hastings said:
So we are to honestly believe that Canada's most elite soldiers were at one point potentially cooking meals and repairing vehicles?

Not that there is a thing wrong with any non combat MOC, but wouldn't there be a much higher likelihood of a seasoned combat arms professional making it through the JTF-2 training.  I'm sure lots of people are capable of getting in shape enough to meet the physical requirements, but I just have a hard time accepting that it isn't designed to favour the combat arms trades. 

I mean when CSOR was formed they didn't grab a bunch of electricians and mechanics and train them up, they took a huge chunk of one of the RCR battalions.

thats a pretty ignorant comment to make for someone not even in yet....

Someone has to cook the meals and keep the vehicles going for the guys out there doing the sexy stuff...

I'm not sure how I'm being ignorant.  If I didn't ask I would be ignorant for not seeking a logical answer and explanation.  I hope I am trying not to be ignorant. 

I would just like someone to answer more than regurgitating what is on the site.  Someone to offer some logical insight based on what the job requires and the experience of those seeking to join. 

I'm not trying to get on anyone's nerves or step on anyone's toes. 

Hastings said:

Well a large chunk of them come from the combat arms you would be surprised at the number of non-combat arms dudes in the assaulter positions.  Seems like you are a bit out of your lane here dude.  Swerve back in and it'll all be good.

Short answer, CSOR took a large chunk of the RCR to become functional faster.  Again I've seen just as many purple trade dudes get selected into both over a combat arms guy.  Mindset not trade is what gets you selected.

You are going to have to go there and find out for yourself if you are really that interested in what they do and how they do it. As much has you find on the CANSOFCOM site is as much as you are going to get here.

Hastings said:
SO is it realistic to think that someone could apply successfully to the CSOR or JTF-2 without being in a combat arms MOC with TIC's under their belt?

Yes, absolutely, it is. Anyone telling you otherwise is full of crap.

Hastings said:
  That was the type of answer I was looking for.

Its also the same answer you received in previous replies and the answer you had when you read the official JTF stuff.....

Skills and proficiencies are something they can train into you given time. It's the underlying personal attributes that they're looking and screening for. Somebody who is by nature smart, fit and highly motivated will likely be successful wherever they may find themselves, and these people can be found in all trades. After the better part of a year of training to do that kind of job, little difference will likely be found between someone with a background as an infanteer and someone with a background as a cook. One's trade doesn't bring much to the table they won't train into you if needed anyway.

Some may come to the table with slightly more experience in some fields, but it's the raw material that counts. That'll then be shaped into whatever is needed by the unit. It's not unlike the way in which the military initially screens people for joining; simply with much more rigorous and selective standards applied.

Hastings said:

You're quite right, they didn't take electricians and mechanics, as most electricians and mechanics are electricians and mechanics because they're quite happy being electricians and mechanics, and have no interest in being anything else, and aren't going to be motivated, but if the electrician or mechanic wants to be a part of JTF-2 or CSOR, he's welcome to try... and if they're motivated and fit, they'll succeed.

If I may?

Regardless of trade...
You could be a medic, an infanteer, a cook, a bandsman, a field engineer, an admin clerk...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that every member of the Canadian Forces...
is a soldier first...a trade second.

Just sayin'. :)

Bando Commando said:
If I may?

Regardless of trade...
You could be a medic, an infanteer, a cook, a bandsman, a field engineer, an admin clerk...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that every member of the Canadian Forces...
is a soldier first...a trade second.

Just sayin'. :)

It's a nice theory, notionally true, but sadly with little basis in reality.

Just wanted to add a little bit here.  Brihard was bang on with his statements, according to the JTF2 recruiting session I went to.
  I asked the same question.  I said, as a logistician, what can I possibly bring to the table as an SF assaulter?  They basically said all of what Brihard said and then commented that at the time....one of the best snipers in JTF2 was actually a navy COOK.  So there ya go
Cheers :cdn:

I don't think everyone in JTF-2 is going to be in a combat position firing weapons and going on top secret missions. They still need members in support trades to keep everything running smoothly. That is like saying everyone on a tour in Afghanistan is out on the front lines with the Taliban.

Smirnoff123 said:
I don't think everyone in JTF-2 is going to be in a combat position firing weapons and going on top secret missions. They still need members in support trades to keep everything running smoothly. That is like saying everyone on a tour in Afghanistan is out on the front lines with the Taliban.

You missed the point of the original question.

Yes...thats why JTF employs support trades as well.  But the point of this discussion is that even people who are in support trades, or AVN techs or whatever, can apply for and become door kickers.

Yes...thats why JTF employs support trades as well.  But the point of this discussion is that even people who are in support trades, or AVN techs or whatever, can apply for and become door kickers.

And vice versa... those from combat arms backgrounds can apply for support positions, should they be so inclined.

Back