• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Joining Military with an Electrical Engineering Degree

zinx

Inactive
Reaction score
(*NOTE: This is more a general question about joining the Canadian Military than something army-specific*)

Hi all,

I'm expecting to graduate from an Electrical Engineering program in a few months with some decent marks (so far an 84/100 GPA), and am considering the military as a career option.

A Naval Combat Systems Engineering Officer (http://www.forces.ca/en/job/navalcombatsystemsengineeringofficer-82#info-1) seems appealing since there are opportunities for a Masters degree in combat/weapons systems engineering.

I am looking for something that would allow engineering design, possible R & D, and development of leadership abilities.
However, I have heard that there is very little engineering work in the military, and a position like this is more about management.

So my question is, with the qualities I'm looking for in a job/career, should I look into the military, or would I be better off in a private firm? Or would it be better still just going straight to graduate school?

Your responses would be greatly appreciated. If there's already a similar thread, please let me know.

-Zinx

There is 1 ESU that sort of have what you are looking for, but its mostly civil engineering related. With a Electrical Engineering Degree, there is little job where you can apply that as Cbt Engr Officer.

If you want design and R & D, private engineering firms are the way to go. If you want to get your hands dirty, there are some firms which will let you have a part in a project from day one.

I can't say that there are no positions for an NCSEO in either design or R&D. But I can comfortably say they're not overly abundant, and wouldn't be available to you until much, much later in your career.

You need to talk to an actual Naval Combat Systems guy (there are few on here).  My understanding is that although we don't do a lot of actual R&D from the bottom up design through manufacture of equipment, our engineers are certainly involved in the process of bringing it into service, adapting it to our uses and maintaining it.  Most Naval Technical Officers (the current term for naval engineers) are involved in project management, but before they get to that stage, they have to get down and dirty with the equipment.  Part of the career progression will be to qualify and hopefully serve as the head of their particular flavour of engineering department (there are two:  combat systems and marine systems) in one of HMC Ships.  There is a lot of hands on work to get there.  If you ask your question within a thread with "Naval Combat Engineering" in the title, somebody should be able to give some definitive information.

I'm not an expert but from what I understand from many of my friends who are engineers in the private sector... is that moving up in the private sector is also a lot more about management and especially project management, and less about actual engineering so that aspect might not be that different from the military.

Just my  :2c:

Miles out of my lane, but would Electrical Engineering work in order to become an Aerospace Engineer (AERE)?  From my brief discussions with AEREs, they seem to do quite a bit of R&D, etc. (dependent on their posting of course.)

If R&D is what you want, you might do well to check our the various DRDCs.

http://www.drdc-rddc.gc.ca/drdc/en/home-accueil/

We also have the Tech Staff course for Capt/Maj. Takes a few years to be ready for that course, but Lt's have gone on it before.
http://www.rmc.ca/aca/ams-sma/pro/index-eng.asp

Wook

zinx said:
I am looking for something that would allow engineering design, possible R & D, and development of leadership abilities.
However, I have heard that there is very little engineering work in the military, and a position like this is more about management.

So my question is, with the qualities I'm looking for in a job/career, should I look into the military, or would I be better off in a private firm? Or would it be better still just going straight to graduate school?

Are you familiar with DRDC? Might be worth applying with them, not the military, but probably much closer to what you're looking for.

Pusser said:
You need to talk to an actual Naval Combat Systems guy (there are few on here).  My understanding is that although we don't do a lot of actual R&D from the bottom up design through manufacture of equipment, our engineers are certainly involved in the process of bringing it into service, adapting it to our uses and maintaining it.  Most Naval Technical Officers (the current term for naval engineers) are involved in project management, but before they get to that stage, they have to get down and dirty with the equipment.  Part of the career progression will be to qualify and hopefully serve as the head of their particular flavour of engineering department (there are two:  combat systems and marine systems) in one of HMC Ships.  There is a lot of hands on work to get there.  If you ask your question within a thread with "Naval Combat Engineering" in the title, somebody should be able to give some definitive information.

Yeup, I did do just that.  :nod: There was one person I spoke to who did have a "Professional Engineer" license, but from what he told me, it seemed as if he barely had enough engineering experience (that was recognized by a provincial engineering organization) over a 20-year career, and that included a Masters in Engineering degree from the military. Most of the recognized work came from the on-shore "billet" work.

Snakedoc said:
I'm not an expert but from what I understand from many of my friends who are engineers in the private sector... is that moving up in the private sector is also a lot more about management and especially project management, and less about actual engineering so that aspect might not be that different from the military.

Just my  :2c:

That is true, but I am looking to have real engineering experience first, as opposed to only having managerial experience throughout your entire career.

Wookilar said:
If R&D is what you want, you might do well to check our the various DRDCs.

http://www.drdc-rddc.gc.ca/drdc/en/home-accueil/

We also have the Tech Staff course for Capt/Maj. Takes a few years to be ready for that course, but Lt's have gone on it before.
http://www.rmc.ca/aca/ams-sma/pro/index-eng.asp

Wook

DRDC is something new. I'll definitely give them a call and find out more about them.
The RMCC seems interesting, but those tuition fees are really steep, and it'll probably be tough to get financial assistance without anyone knowing who you are. (as opposed to taking graduate studies at my university).

Dimsum said:
Miles out of my lane, but would Electrical Engineering work in order to become an Aerospace Engineer (AERE)?  From my brief discussions with AEREs, they seem to do quite a bit of R&D, etc. (dependent on their posting of course.)

Well, it seems unclear what they really do actually. It seems to be anywhere from a technician to engineer to instructor to manager. I've been told that the minimum commitment time when joining the military is 6 years and your career path is generally chosen by someone else. So for that to work out, the job description of an AERE would need to be a lot more clear than that. Perhaps there's an AERE I can track down to ask about their work.

Thanks for all the responses. I was on the verge of entirely ruling out the military as a possible career option, but some of your responses warrant a little more research.

From what I've gathered regarding AEREs, "technician" wouldn't be what comes to mind.  That's where the actual tech trades come in.  Engineer, instructor, manager....that's more like it (although, with the way the CF works, most if not all trades will become instructors and/or managers eventually due to postings.)

Back