• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

John Gilbert "Jack" Layton, PC, MP (July 18, 1950 – August 22, 2011)

ModlrMike said:
Count me in!
I have about 40-ish "FBook" friends who are "attending", but a total of almost 100.  I don't know half the people, but I just got the idea from another friend of mine, and voila.  If nothing else, he had a great sense of humour.  RIP Mr. Layton.

@SusanDelacourt
Susan Delacourt Personally, this is my favourite @jacklayton musical act.
Willing to poke fun at self; key to #cdnpoli humour.  http://t.co/uFdcMGK

Baden  Guy said:
@SusanDelacourt
Susan Delacourt Personally, this is my favourite @jacklayton musical act.
Willing to poke fun at self; key to #cdnpoli humour.  http://t.co/uFdcMGK
I put that video up on my Facebook event :)

By all appearances truly a principled man and a great politician.  I may not have agreed with his views but Canada would be a better place with more men like him.

Sad to see, after such a huge victory over the Liberals and Bloc. RIP

I think Jack would have been surprised (and a bit pleased) to realize how well he could reach *us* as well as other Canadian voters, even if we all agreed to disagree. His successor will have mighty big shoes to fill.

Canadian politics will be a lot less colourful without Jack. His humour and passion will be missed. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends, and the NDP party. I didn't agree with his politics, but I sure liked and respected the man. Rest now, Jack - your battles are over.

Hawk

Say what you will about Jack Layton, we didn't see eye to eye in the political arena but it's guys like him that make our country the greatest on the planet. He exercised his freedom of speech and pulled that party out of the crapper and that, my friends, is why people like you  and I do what we do to protect those freedoms.

Rest in Peace Jack, you earned it. 

When I read Jack's letter to Canadians-- that just made me bawl.  Incredibly thoughtful and compassionate, good-bye.  It still makes me weepy thinking of it.  I've had losses and I'm sure a lot of others here have had losses in which there wasn't that time.

I'm a Dipper, not that I agree with everything either, but IMO it's still an important voice to have in political debate, as to the human side of things, which are affected by policies, economic policy choices, and IMO are relevant in decision-making and healthy economy.  For every decision, there are costs, are there ways to minimize damage, displacement, etc.

My hope, is that Jack spent enough time with his collegues, to learn from what he had learnt through his life, and through his many trials and errors, and hopefully they are able to pass on that guidance to new members of the party.  It's not the same as what Jack learnt for himself, and Jack is simply irreplaceable (I tend to value older people, with them having so much more life-experience gained).  I worry about the vision being lost as he was trying to bring it to a modern level, with the wisdom of working together for change, it was moving to a more moderate level, and 'working with what is' and starting from there.

I was looking forward to Jack being Leader of the Official Opposition, the good experience that would be for him and the party (an opportunity for maturity of the party), but sadly his health didn't bring him to there.  What a courageous attitude he had and an example of living life to the fullest, and to follow one's dream; the work not being a burden, but a passion.  He inspires working together with communities and becoming involved, to be a participant rather than distant observer.

It was a very noble gesture for Prime Minister Harper to extend a full state funeral in his honour and in honour of Canadians, and to his family. :salute: :cdn:  I am moved by common recognition of values, whether that be on leadership and principles and which transcend partisan politics, these wonderful attributes which do make me feel proud to be Canadian :cdn:  :salute:

I'm also relieved that with regard to the advanced cancer, Jack can Rest in Peace now.

P.S.  I had an Orange Crush for lunch  ;) -- great idea, Technovicking.  And the videos of his songs were hilarious, that is a rounded personality to be able to laugh at oneselve and yes, very  :cdn:  :)

kstart said:
P.S.  I had an Orange Crush for lunch  ;) -- great idea, Technovicking.  And the videos of his songs were hilarious, that is a rounded personality to be able to laugh at oneselve and yes, very  :cdn:  :)

Thanks.  There were over 600 people who "accepted" the event.  I was thinking that maybe 20, 30 tops would be it. 

Cheers!

And I feel petty for doing this, but note what some, I repeat some, Layton supporters think:

http://mooseandsquirrel.ca/2011/08/22/13:28/rip-jack-layton-if-your-supporters-will-let-you/

Well, thankfully those lot are the minority.

RIP Jack Layton.

Technoviking said:
Thanks.  There were over 600 people who "accepted" the event.  I was thinking that maybe 20, 30 tops would be it. 

Cheers!
Liked your idea better than the Twitter-shared drink, The Layton:
via @raincoaster: New drink > The Layton = Orange Crush + Jack | #JackLayton

Old Sweat said:
And I feel petty for doing this, but note what some, I repeat some, Layton supporters think:

http://mooseandsquirrel.ca/2011/08/22/13:28/rip-jack-layton-if-your-supporters-will-let-you/
Sadly, it only takes a few idiots - as TV said, thankfully they're only a few.

I forgot how much I hate Orange Crush. Except with Malibu Rum in it - which I couldn't do yesterday owing to being on the clock. But it was a humourous tribute, well done thinking of it.

Journeyman said:
Doing that to Jack Daniels is scandalous, bordering on criminal.  :mad:
I was sorta thinking the same thing about doing that to Orange Crush  ;)

This Hour has 22 Minutes tribute for Jack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGu682FUDsQ&feature=share

Back