• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Is N3D Dress (Summer Tan) Back in Order?

Calvillo

Reaction score
Otherwise, what uniform is this? Also curious to see the flag patch and visible undershirt.

IMG_E3014[1].JPG

Looks like Tropical tans. Issued to deployed personnel overseas personnel in hot climates.
Undershirt is the normal T-shirt issued with CADPAT.

Also, the Colonel still wears the old gold wings, instead of the current silver ones.

That's a strange look the two officers on the right of Col Braithwaite were giving him today (or was it yesterday, or tomorrow - it's that time zone thing). Did someone make a comment about Canadian/Indian relations and possible effect on Canadians attending next week's conference?

CDA New Dehli.jpg

Adding to the optimism, Canadian Deputy Army Chief Major General Peter Scott is expected to visit India next week for the same conference. Colonel Todd Braithwaite, the Canadian Defence Attaché at the High Commission, expressed hope that the recent developments would not adversely affect bilateral defence ties.

While 3D Tropical Service Dress has actually been removed from the CAF dress instructions, I can understand someone wearing it if in a tropical environment if they still have a closet full of the stuff. Still a little rebellious, but it is issued (if obselete) kit. That isn’t an option for most of us, as it’s no longer in the manual, so it won’t be issued. I have a PDF dress manual dated 2017, which still has 3D, so it’s removal has been fairly recent.

While 3D was widely mocked for the optional shorts and knee socks, the long-trousered version is very useful in certain niche positions, those posted to a hot environment yet whose workplace is a little too formal for CADPAT.

While 3D Tropical Service Dress has actually been removed from the CAF dress instructions, I can understand someone wearing it if in a tropical environment if they still have a closet full of the stuff. Still a little rebellious, but it is issued (if obselete) kit. That isn’t an option for most of us, as it’s no longer in the manual, so it won’t be issued. I have a PDF dress manual dated 2017, which still has 3D, so it’s removal has been fairly recent.

While 3D was widely mocked for the optional shorts and knee socks, the long-trousered version is very useful in certain niche positions, those posted to a hot environment yet whose workplace is a little too formal for CADPAT.
I never really understood why they needed to stitch the Canadian flag on the shoulder in that dress.

The other DEU short sleeves (minus RCN ones) don’t have it…

I never really understood why they needed to stitch the Canadian flag on the shoulder in that dress.

Probably as Defence Attachees were/are often the principal users of that dress. 🤷🏻‍♂️

It's been decades since I wore tropical tans. While it would have been expected to have them issued for service in "tropical areas" (worn as dress of the day in Egypt and Cyprus in the 70s/80s unless the duty needed something more robust like combats or 'Indian Bush), I was also issued them (and wore them) when I was in Texas in 1989/90. At that time, the scale of issue included the southern USA as one of the areas authorized. Even though I already had a few sets (with the Canadian flag sewn on the sleeve, as well as the UN patch) I happily accepted another set when I was getting the additional eqpt and clothing items that I needed for my time down south. The question of the flag came up when I got the new tans and there was no flag on the sleeve. I was informed that the flag was worn on all uniforms (including service dress) only when on foreign operations (that included CFE at the time) or as an attache. That policy has likely changed since. Way back when the earth was cooling, we didn't even have the flag on combats in Canada except if you were tasked for AMF.

It's been decades since I wore tropical tans. While it would have been expected to have them issued for service in "tropical areas" (worn as dress of the day in Egypt and Cyprus in the 70s/80s unless the duty needed something more robust like combats or 'Indian Bush), I was also issued them (and wore them) when I was in Texas in 1989/90. At that time, the scale of issue included the southern USA as one of the areas authorized. Even though I already had a few sets (with the Canadian flag sewn on the sleeve, as well as the UN patch) I happily accepted another set when I was getting the additional eqpt and clothing items that I needed for my time down south. The question of the flag came up when I got the new tans and there was no flag on the sleeve. I was informed that the flag was worn on all uniforms (including service dress) only when on foreign operations (that included CFE at the time) or as an attache. That policy has likely changed since. Way back when the earth was cooling, we didn't even have the flag on combats in Canada except if you were tasked for AMF.
TBH, with the summers as hot as they are now, the southern US should probably be reinstated as “tropical tan” weather.

Back