• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

IDF Back Into Gaza for Kidnapped Cpl.

Zell_Dietrich said:
.......Am I a bad person for not feeling too sorry for the Palestinians, as a group,  who elected that government that brought this on them?  I want to cheer for the under dog so much, (the Irish in me)  but I just can't in this case. 

Yep... For me it's this....

One of the VIVID memories etched into my mind on the morning of Sept. 11, 2001, was a live news piece showing thousands of Palestinians with smiles from ear to ear dancing and singing in the streets over the news that 3,000 Americans and westerners (including 2 dozen of our own) had just been brutally murdered by Islamic terrorists.

An embarrassed Arafat then sent out his paramilitary armed with riot battons to disperse them so that he wouldn't be embarrassed. This was then followed by the usual meaningless paper fluff  stating "We condemn this terrible act".

People's Daily is reporting that activities in central Gaza have ended:

Source: http://english.people.com.cn/200607/15/eng20060715_283258.html

The Israeli army has completed its activities in central Gaza Strip, the army said in a statement Friday night.

The statement said the army has been operating in Khan Yunis and Dir El-Balah areas in central Gaza Strip since July 12 to create conditions for the return of abducted soldier Gilad Shalit and preventing rocket attacks launched from the areas against Israel.

The army's activities in the areas have been completed, the statement said.

Israeli forces have carried out a massive ground and air offensive against the Gaza Strip since June 28 in a bid to rescue Shalit and halt Palestinian rocket fire.

Source: Xinhua

Above confirmed by reuters. Activities continuing in the north.  Palestinians are reporting tanks entering the area.

http://today.reuters.co.uk/News/newsArticle.aspx?type=worldNews&storyID=2006-07-15T205805Z_01_L15445283_RTRUKOC_0_UK-MIDEAST-TANKS.xml
GAZA (Reuters) - Several Israeli tanks on Saturday entered the northern Gaza Strip, often used by militants for firing rockets into Israel, Palestinian witnesses said.

The Israeli army said it did not have forces in northern Gaza.

Palestinian witnesses said the tanks moved into an area east of the town of Beit Hanoun.

Israel withdrew forces from the area a week ago.

They had entered as part of an offensive following the capture of an Israeli soldier in a June 25 cross-border raid and to halt cross border rocket fire by militants. The offensive has killed some 80 Palestinians, about half of them militants.

Israel has also launched a major air offensive in Lebanon after Hizbollah guerrillas captured two soldiers in a raid into Israel on Wednesday and rained rockets on the Jewish state.

For anyone who would like a truthful backgrounder into the real nature of Hamas.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=UgzB5n3Cuv0&search=hamas

I find the scenes with the brainwashed children particularly repugnant.

Its no wonder they are on our TERRORIST LIST.

CanadaPhil said:
For anyone who would like a truthful backgrounder into the real nature of Hamas.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=UgzB5n3Cuv0&search=hamas

I find the scenes with the brainwashed children particularly repugnant.

Its no wonder they are on our TERRORIST LIST.

In the face of that, how could anyone seriously argue that diplomacy has any place in this mess?  They have to fight it out.  Pure and simple.  Keep fighting until there is a clear winner, and put an end to this.

Gotta love the sheep that call themselves Canadians that feel the gov't took the same stance as the Americans just to appease Bush.

Quagmire said:
Gotta love the sheep that call themselves Canadians that feel the gov't took the same stance as the Americans just to appease Bush.

I'm sure the ostrich feels very safe and secure with his head jammed in the ground as well.  :p

Watching that one idiot rant and yell in front of an audience about martyrdom and all that crap (too bad the leaders don't lead by example and blow themselves up).

It reminds me of Hitler stirring up my ancestors in Germany. Similar tone, same angry movements and resolve. However, my family looks at Hitler for what he was, an EVIL dictator.

I will probably be flame broiled for comparing that ranting idiot to Hitler but hey, he is embracing absolute and total violence agaisnt an ethnicity (Israelis who are Jewish).

It is not the west who is full of hate and unable to accept other cultures, it is these religous zealots.

ArmyRick: I'm sure you must be mistaken ... they are just all waving at the same time:  http://www.time.com/time/photoessays/2006/inside_hizballah/

Its 11:15am on Thursday the 27th.

CNN has just reported that the Associated Press is claiming the release of Cpl. Shalit may be IMMINENT!

I have not found any links about this on the web yet.

Found one story.  Here are some excerpts

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1153292014326&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull
However, the armed wing of Hamas, Izaddin al-Kassam, which is believed to be holding Shalit together with other groups in the Gaza Strip, denied that it had agreed to release the soldier. The group said it did not know what Abbas was talking about and that Shalit would be released only after Israel meets all the demands of the kidnappers.

Former PA security commander Jibril Rajoub, who serves as an advisor to Abbas, said he expected Shalit to be released sometime next week.
Rajoub claimed that Hamas has agreed to release Shalit on condition that Israel stopped its military operations and freed a number of Palestinian prisoners.

I wouldn't hold your breath if Hamas is asking for much more than a cease fire.  I think Israel already ruled out prisoner exchange.

They have thus far ruled out a prisoner exchange.  I wonder if they got there boys back if they would leave immediately.

Nope.

Hamas clarifies Abbas remarks on Israeli soldier
Updated Thu. Jul. 27 2006 11:33 PM ET

Associated Press

JERUSALEM -- Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas said Thursday that intense negotiations were under way to free an Israeli soldier captured by Hamas-linked militants. However, a Palestinian lawmaker and a spokesman for the Hamas military denied that the soldier's release could be imminent.

Abbas, who spoke in Rome after meeting with Italian Premier Romano Prodi, initially was quoted by an official Arabic-to-Italian translator as saying there could be an "imminent solution" for the soldier's release.

An Associated Press translation found that quote was not correct.

"I have told the prime minister regarding the issue of the captured soldier that we are undertaking intensive efforts to end this as soon as possible," he said in Arabic, according to AP.

Abbas was referring to Prodi, who stood beside him at the news conference.

In response to the initial translation, Hamas spokesman Abu Obeida said "from our side there is nothing new." Palestinian lawmaker Saeb Erekat said it was "premature" to say the soldier, Cpl. Gilad Shalit, is about to be released.

Israel launched attacks in Gaza after Palestinian Hamas-linked militants crossed from Gaza into Israel on June 25 and captured Shalit. As that conflict raged, Hezbollah grabbed two soldiers in a July 12 cross-border raid, sparking Israel's massive assault on Lebanon.

Egypt's powerful chief of intelligence Omar Suleiman, who has broad contacts among the Palestinians and carries enormous influence among officials in Gaza, has been deeply involved in negotiations seeking the Shalit's release.

Egyptian security officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the topic, said Thursday there was considerable progress in the negotiations to free the soldier but no breakthrough.

Saudi diplomatic officials, speaking on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to release the information, said Abbas would be in Jiddah on Saturday for talks with King Abdullah on developments surrounding the soldier and escalation of violence. They also suggested the release was not imminent.
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060727/mideast_shalit_060727/20060727/

What is there to negotiate?  Give the guys back.  Period. 
If nothing else, once they were back that would be a big chip off the table.  IMO Israel is going to settle this once and for all, regardless of those guys that got grabbed.  However, in the court of public opinion it would work in the terrorists favor, since they would have done "their part" and everyone could get back to screaming and whining about Israeli "aggression" when they didn't pull out. 
Cripes, it must suck to be those guys, if they aren't dead already.  :(

zipperhead_cop said:
What is there to negotiate?  Give the guys back.  Period. 

100%

If nothing else, once they were back that would be a big chip off the table.  IMO Israel is going to settle this once and for all, regardless of those guys that got grabbed.  However, in the court of public opinion it would work in the terrorists favor, since they would have done "their part" and everyone could get back to screaming and whining about Israeli "aggression" when they didn't pull out.

I suspect that there's something about rockets being shot at you for few decades that makes you no longer give a crap about public opinion in other countries.

I_am_John_Galt said:
I suspect that there's something about rockets being shot at you for few decades that makes you no longer give a crap about public opinion in other countries.

Agreed.  But these terrorists have such a swell of support from the crybaby left, that would be a good psychological tactic.  You and I both know that there would be heaps of people who would say "Okay, you got your guy back, now stop everything and leave".

No posts in this thread for sometime. Poor Hamas must be feeling so left out right now.

Here is what a Hamas member had to say on July 27th.

Muhammad Nazzal, Hamas Political Bureau Member: If Al-Qaeda Wants to Come to Palestine, They Are Welcome

http://www.memritv.org/view.asp?P1=1215

It's reopened, but if it starts going like the other it won't be for long. Don't just make links to blogs and propaganda sites, make a point. One that can be backed up and verified with fact.

?? Propaganda site?

That was a clip of what Middle Easterners are watching on a daily basis on networks such as Al Manar, Al Arabiya, Al Jezeera, Palestine TV, etc.

It has been translated into English (Very accurately, btw), for the benefit of those of us here in North America who have ONLY heard the "propaganda" until now.

It has to be backed up?? . It is a prominent member of Hamas, saying in his own words, on live Arabic TV (only a few days ago), that Hamas WELCOMES AL QAEDA to Gaza in order to launch terror operations against Israel.

That's what he said. I don't know what spin can be put on it.

It wasn't an American or Israeli or European reporter misquoting him in print. It was straight from the horses mouth.

Perhaps Tamouh should chime in on this one so that we can debate the clip. Afterall, only a few weeks ago when this all started, he was posting in this very thread taking the Hamas point of view.

Back