• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hybrid Electric Vehicles

The CAF is highly dependant on members self-driving themselves (and their colleagues) everywhere, in their own vehicles, due to the widely dispersed nature of our facilities and garrisons. If we honestly intend to switch to a “I walked to work, now you move me around” model then we’ve got real problems.

Hell, the current generation of EVs struggles to meet the 500km Treasury Board standard for a daily road trip — many crap out at 400km or so. It might not be physically possible to get posted cross-country with one (especially if it’s in or out of Yellowknife).
NOt just the CAF I am referring to. The public at large - and those geek bureaucrats who you stuffed in the locker in high school are now saying you can't have a vehicle.

Heck, it's almost like there's some people in positions to drive policy, that have shares and heavy investments in renewables and EV battery minerals and development.

Nawww, that'd never happen here, in Canada, on our streets. Crazy talk.

NOt just the CAF I am referring to. The public at large - and those geek bureaucrats who you stuffed in the locker in high school are now saying you can't have a vehicle.
LoL.

So,
1. You were an asshole in high school and stuffed kids in lockers simply because they were different from you?
2. Anyone who has or supports an aggressive environmental policy is somehow "a geek who got stuffed in lockers in high school"?

This is got to be one of those most ignorant takes I've ever seen.

Please, more.

LoL.

So,
1. You were an asshole in high school and stuffed kids in lockers simply because they were different from you?
2. Anyone who has or supports an aggressive environmental policy is somehow "a geek who got stuffed in lockers in high school"?

This is got to be one of those most ignorant takes I've ever seen.

Please, more
Just maybe he was joking.

But in the 70’s stuffing people into a locker wasn’t uncommon.

Aggressive Environmental Policy? well if it’s trying to limit people’s vehicles, then maybe they should get stuffed into a locker now…

Yes I do drive a 6.2L V-8 Suburban and enjoy the F out of it.
But I also stuff it to the gills a lot.
- hockey equipment
- guns and ammo
- wife, kids and dogs.
I have a Thule case, and the trailering package too for when the internal volume isn’t enough as well.

Just maybe he was joking.

But in the 70’s stuffing people into a locker wasn’t uncommon.

Aggressive Environmental Policy? well if it’s trying to limit people’s vehicles, then maybe they should get stuffed into a locker now…

- hockey equipment
- guns and ammo
- wife, kids and dogs.
I have a Thule case, and the trailering package too for when the internal volume isn’t enough as well.
What would he think of me....

Ford F-250 Super Duty and a Toyota Tacoma TRD parked side by side in my driveway at the moment 😄

Heck, it's almost like there's some people in positions to drive policy, that have shares and heavy investments in renewables and EV battery minerals and development.

Nawww, that'd never happen here, in Canada, on our streets. Crazy talk.

Or... the fact our politicians are bought and paid for by the one country that has cornered the market on EV battery minerals.

That wouldn't drive the EV mandate at all!

Only 20% of federally funded charging points working... I assume that means they're 'on target' ;)

Canada needs hundreds of thousands of public EV charging ports. Who is going to build them?​

Infrastructure required to meet zero-emission vehicle targets by 2035, experts say​

Natural Resources Canada estimates that depending on the availability of home charging, Canada will need between 442,000 and 469,000 public charging ports by 2035. It says that as of Dec. 1, there are currently 10,425 charging stations and 25,246 charging ports based on data from the Electric Charging and Alternative Fuelling Station Locator.

In August, an internal report found that fewer than one in five federally funded chargers were operational.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/first-person-electric-car-1.6858857
"There's a big gap between what we currently have and what is required," Kingston said. "And if we're going to hit these very aggressive sales targets, we need to see a massive build-out of charging infrastructure."

Kingston said he sees that as the federal government's job.

"The primary responsibility for this infrastructure right now does lie with the federal government, and the reason for that is they are regulating the sale of these vehicles and they're establishing these targets," he said.

Are 100 amp electrical panels still the standard for new home construction or has 200 become the norm?

I wonder how all these Teslas are supposed to work on a farming operation in Eastern Saskatchewan? Or a remote Reserve in Northern Ontario?
Actually, electric trucks on a farming operation make a lot of sense. They tend to be used for short distances, with a lot of starting and stopping, and tend to have large periods of time they sit idle. They are usually required for work requiring large torque/low speed needs, which electric motors excel at. And large farms tend to have multiple out buildings, all hooked to the grid in some fashion, so adding in charging stations to keep them topped up shouldn't be an issue.

Now, the issue that would be faced, the same as the military with COTS vehicles in the field, is making them robust enough to survive the climatic conditions and off road conditions.

- hockey equipment
- guns and ammo
- wife, kids and dogs.
I love the priority order you put on the things that go in your suburban ;)

I love the priority order you put on the things that go in your suburban ;)
My wife would probably agree, albeit there are generally always some guns and ammo in it unless I bring it to Canada then I need to take a week of clean out and verification.

Watch the PP/Rex Murphy interview re what Rex says about Trudeau and the environment. Rex is right on.

Actually, electric trucks on a farming operation make a lot of sense. They tend to be used for short distances, with a lot of starting and stopping, and tend to have large periods of time they sit idle. They are usually required for work requiring large torque/low speed needs, which electric motors excel at. And large farms tend to have multiple out buildings, all hooked to the grid in some fashion, so adding in charging stations to keep them topped up shouldn't be an issue.

Now, the issue that would be faced, the same as the military with COTS vehicles in the field, is making them robust enough to survive the climatic conditions and off road conditions.
Do you have recent farming experience on the Prairies? Not trolling you- my experience is that the distances can be vast and infrastructure poor. Oh, and temperatures in the winter brutally cold.

Back