• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Help >.. Restricted and prohbited weapons

Hedgehog18

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey need help finding The statute section for prohibited and restrited weapons in canada ... its for a law project thanks in advance

Hedgehog :cdn:

part III of the criminal code deals with firearms and other weapons. look through it, S. 84 onward

hope that helps  :salute:

Those designations really seem to lose their meanings once you have fired the C7. I can't imagine sitting down and loading a 5 round magazine.....

Haha yeah it is a bit of a difference .... Although there is something satisfying about loading a mosin nagant by hand manually into the chamber no?

Hedgehog, you may want to talk about some of the strange issues regarding our gun laws. I can't buy a $250 dollar .357 Magnum but I can buy a $4000 dollar .50 cal sniper rifle. Concealment is a big factor but I can't help thinking I would be more dangerous with that sniper rifle than a revolver..

Just a little somethin I thought you may find interesting thats all

One gun that I KNOW isn't legal here in Canada is the Minigun. Thing has a firing rate of like 3000 rounds a minute. It can be modified to fire as little as 955 rounds a minute.

"Those designations really seem to lose their meanings once you have fired the C7. I can't imagine sitting down and loading a 5 round magazine....."

Imagine owning 5 FN rifles and having the value of your legally acquired private property reduced to nil because of a regulation. 

And Steve, why can't you buy a .357, don't you have a restricted wpns crse or qual?  If not, it is kind of like saying " I can't buy a $5000 car....(because I don't have a license)."

Anyway, a mod should prob dump this into the Gun Control thread, where Hedgehog 18 will find LOTS of VERY interesting reading!  ;D

Tom

The only reason I can't buy a $250 .357 is cause they are pretty much all over $500 now...  ;D

You also want to look at something called "The Prohibited Weapons Order".  Not sure where you'd find that.

Some of laws have just changed - see this thread

http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=28173&messageid=1112367002

Discusses Bill C-10A which went into effect yesterday.

TCBF said:
And Steve, why can't you buy a .357, don't you have a restricted wpns crse or qual?  If not, it is kind of like saying " I can't buy a $5000 car....(because I don't have a license)."
Tom

I only got a non-restricted license, I'm still waiting for my restricted card to get completed (estimated time- November 29th of next year).

Steve: Seen.

Hedgehog 18: Check out the 39 pages on the guncontrol thread.

Tom

I called the local police station and asked them whether or not spearguns were legal and they weren't able to answer. I was wondering whether or not someone on here might know if they are. I would like to go spearfishing this summer and thought this would be as good as any thread to post this.

" no, there is no classification for spearguns."

Yet... ;D

Tom

If spearguns become criminal, only criminals will eat fish...or something like that

CHIMO,  Kat

Well, I found my answer at the MNR website. Apparently it is illegal to own a speargun for the purpose of fishing with it, but you are allowed to go fishing with just the spear. And can own a speargun if you aren't going to go fishing with it. It is really messed up.

Went looking for speargun couldn't find in the weapons section of the criminal code but it might fall under crossbow.
"crossbow" means a device with a bow and a bowstring mounted on a stock that is designed to propel an arrow, a bolt, a quarrel or any similiar projectile on a trajectory guided by a barrel or grove and that is capable of causing serious bodily injury or death to a person
If it does fall under crossbow you're allowed to have one if you have a license for restricted firearms.   Only reason I could see it not being considered a crossbow is the bowstring part.   But they use an elastic or something similar to shoot don't they? Couldn't find anything in the criminal code about hunting restrictions and went through the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act (Ontario Provincial Offences) and I couldn't find any restrictions for crossbows or spearguns.

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/srch.cgi?part=full;lang=en;method=AND;subject=370;corpus=c-stats%20OR%20c-regs;titre=;query=spear;x=0;y=0&docid=203304&exp=4
Ontario fishery act-
7. (1) No person shall for the purpose of fishing have in the person's possession a snagger, spear gun or spring gaff.
    (2) No person shall, for the purpose of fishing, possess a spear on any waters or within 30 m of the edge of any waters, except when spear fishing in accordance with these Regulations. SOR/90-229, s. 2; SOR/2003-108, s. 1

link to regulations sets out time to fish with a spear but no spear gun mentioned: http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/f-14/sor-89-93/121123.html
They set out very specific areas where you can and when you can and what kind of fish you can go after.   So the short answere I found was don't bother, too many regulations to follow.....
edit-didn't see QORvanweert's last post before posting

Back