• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hearing protection Msa sordin

1911CoLt45

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello

Can anyone comment if the CF uses anything like this.  http://www.sordin.se/EN/produkter.asp?rId=200&mId=103

If I were to say, oh ever be running a range in CFB Meaford for example would I be allowed to ever use these?
Generally whats the Cf's view on wearing muffs like the MSA products or anything else in general in any type of scenario?

Thank you

Just how are you going to wear those under a helmet?

Indeed.  All of the MSA sordin products are made for " under the helmet as far as I have sceen. 

I would like to invest in some one day for when I go out hunting.

Hey Recce Guy where are you shooting out of ?

1911CoLt45 said:
Indeed.  All of the MSA sordin products are made for " under the helmet as far as I have sceen. 

I would like to invest in some one day for when I go out hunting.

Hey Recce Guy where are you shooting out of ?

In the link you provided, and the way that rig is established, it is not helmet friendly. With the link that RG provided, that accessory makes sense.

As for hunting, you will actually wear hearing protection??

I've been hunting all sorts of creatures in Canada, the USA and Australia all since the early 1970's, and the use of aural protectors is a first for me.

Sure there is technology in hearing protection which allows you to hear, amplifying the sound, but its an un-natural arificial sound, and you loose your sense of hearing direction, which is impotant in more ways than one, and borders on your own personal safety, and the safety of others. If I can relate this to using NVG, one looses his depth perception, yet can see.

On a range, yes hearing protection should be used, but for the hunt, it does not make sense.

OWDU

Good posts Overwatch. 

For single shots with hunting deer and turkeys I can see your point with not using it.  But I tried a buddies of mine when we went duck hunting and it was pretty usefull for hearing the ducks off in the distance.  We took the muffs off at one point upon contact with the ducks and we couldn't hear them at all haha.  Its a bit of a cheat I must say since you can hunt your bag limit of 12 per day if you want.  It lets you hear them coming in way before there in actual ear range.

As for the MSA products it is possible that they have problems fitting under certain hemlets of different countries.  I see alot of US personal with them on in pictures.  Us Canadian and Aussie's might have a more difficult time having them under there due to the way out chin and cerbral straps go up into the helmet.

Any thoughts?

P.s where abouts are you in Auss, one side of my family is from Brisbane Queensland.

Cheers

True, you can hear things a long way off, but what direction are they coming from? That is the key. Your natural 'predatory' sense is lost. I've used these type of aural protectors lots when I was posted to Artillery (RAA for 6 unhappy/semi happy years), and were an advantage for hearing things coming down the line from the CP. Magic in a way. We would hear the orders given for a mission even before thay came accross the radio. Conversations from 100m away clear as a bell, almost like spying.

I live here www.bribie.com.au - about an hour's drive  north of Brisbane. MSA Pelletor (spelling?), and generic no-name contracted devices can be found in the system here, but no acc's for helmet use that I've seen. Helmets, the kevlar type found in Australia include the generic US PASGT 'Fritz', and the current Rabintex (Israeli) Aussie MCBAS which is the current standard for operational use.

Cheers,

Wes

EDITed for spelling.

I own these:

http://www.amazon.com/Peltor-97043-Tactical-Hearing-Protector/dp/B0000X6I5I

I used them during Phase III live fire and FFQ - mainly because I have a hard time using regular foam plugs, they fall out very easily on me.  Their sound is "in stereo" which helps a bit, but they are absolute pigs on batteries to have that capability.  I receently discovered Sonic Defenders which also work really well, and don't give me the trouble of foam type plugs.

The MSA ones I linked to above work in stereo really well, on two AAA batteries and have a "supposed" life of 600 hrs. I put new batteries in when I got them two years ago and haven't changed them yet. I use them once or twice a week for either shooting or work. Their stereo directional capability is also superb, as is the amplification.

I use Howard Leights. It comes in a tacticool OD colour, and it fits under the helmet too..

Win... Win...

Back