• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Health Services Recruiting : NCM / NCO

C

Christopher

I‘ve recently been cleared for the medic trade, and have a spot waiting for me in an infantry regiment (at least, that‘s what they said).

I just have a few questions on what I should expect. For you guys who are MED A‘s or MED TECH‘s - what exactly do you do on parade? Does it depend on what type of unit you‘re in? Or do all medics just restock supplies, and just get first aid lessons on parade? Is the medic training very comprehensive? What else do you guys do?

Thanks in advance. :)

Hi I was wondering if there was selections for the Reserves? And if there are is there selections is it a general selection or each trade has their own selections. For example since I'm applying for Medic, do they select the top applicants who applied for medic or do they just select the top applicants who applied   for the reserves? Oh and how can you find out if your file is average or below average or something like that?

Selection for Reserves will primarily depend on the strength of the unit you are trying to join, and the number of spaces they have to fill for the trade you seek. Strong units with good retention may have few vacancies and can ask the Recruiting Centre to only select the stronger candidates. Units with lots of vacancies may take all eligible candidates. Reserve candidates do not undergo the same competitive comparisons for available positions as Regular Force applicants.

so most people who apply for the reserves practically make it in?

Jiraiya said:

That depends.  You still have to pass the PT, medical, CFAT and interview.  It would also depend if the reserve unit you were interested in has any positions open for my recruits.

What about Regular Force...assuming you pass all the training and pass all the requirments?

Eowyn said:
Jiraiya said:

That depends.   You still have to pass the PT, medical, CFAT and interview.   It would also depend if the reserve unit you were interested in has any positions open for my recruits.
Yeah im done all of those and passed them all. Im just waiting for medical part3 to come back.

That depends.   You still have to pass the PT, medical, CFAT and interview.   It would also depend if the reserve unit you were interested in has any positions open for my recruits.

In most cases the reserve unit wouldn't have sent the application into the CFRC unless they had spaces available.  That is what I was told when I talked to the recruiters at the reserve unit I'm applying for.

If I have questions for my Recruiting Centre would it be smarter for me to take a ride down to the Centre or would it also be acceptable to write them a letter or give them a phone call? 

If I had a car I would drive down there but I don't even have a licence yet and for me to get a ride to downtown Toronto isn't really possible right now...

skura said:
If I have questions for my Recruiting Centre would it be smarter for me to take a ride down to the Centre or would it also be acceptable to write them a letter or give them a phone call?  

If I had a car I would drive down there but I don't even have a licence yet and for me to get a ride to downtown Toronto isn't really possible right now...
Umm i dont think I would call it smart. Why would u wanna drive down to it. Just phone them up and ask. It doesnt change your chances of gettin into the CF at all and plus thats why they have their telephone line so you can phone and ask questions.

Thanks for your answer Jiraiya...one more question though (well, at least one more question on our reserves for today)...does the Recruitment Centre in Toronto have a website, or only the information on our army's website?

skura said:
Thanks for your answer Jiraiya...one more question though (well, at least one more question on our reserves for today)...does the Recruitment Centre in Toronto have a website, or only the information on our army's website?
well I did a search for you and sorry this is all I could come up with for info on recruting center in Toronto.
http://www.recruiting.forces.ca/engraph/contactus/index_e.aspx?id=on2&idloca=27

spenco said:
In most cases the reserve unit wouldn't have sent the application into the CFRC unless they had spaces available.   That is what I was told when I talked to the recruiters at the reserve unit I'm applying for.

That is true if you go to the Reserve unit first.  There are times when the person goes to CFRC first without contacting the unit.  As far as I'm aware, there were a few people my Recruiting Officer didn't know about until much later.  It is also possible that the candidate didn't qualify for their first choice, so was going to go to another Reserve unit in the same area.

Eowyn said:
spenco said:
In most cases the reserve unit wouldn't have sent the application into the CFRC unless they had spaces available.   That is what I was told when I talked to the recruiters at the reserve unit I'm applying for.

That is true if you go to the Reserve unit first.   There are times when the person goes to CFRC first without contacting the unit.   As far as I'm aware, there were a few people my Recruiting Officer didn't know about until much later.   It is also possible that the candidate didn't qualify for their first choice, so was going to go to another Reserve unit in the same area.
Like me ;D i went to the units first  and met the recruiting officers at the units and handed my files in at the units itself. I got known to the CFRC after they gave me a call.

Thanks again for your help...you got all the information I did BUT on the site you found there's an e-mail address...so thanks again

skura said:
Thanks again for your help...you got all the information I did BUT on the site you found there's an e-mail address...so thanks again
Yeah np. But If you want more info its best just to call them.

Good day folks,

Quick question regarding medical technicians. Completing the two year paramedic program through Loyalist College, how would that effect an application to the Forces? Would I be considered semi skilled or skilled? Would I need to complete the 16 weeks in Borden for the PCP level 1 certification? I know through Loyalist, I will already have this. And how about age? I will be 34 when I am finished the 2 year program (it's part time) and can the age have a negative effect on my application seeing as I will be almost mid thirties by the time an application is filled out?

Reserve service, if I have my PCP Level 1 from Loyalist, could I walk into any Reserve Unit, say the Hasty P's in Belleville, and become a medical tech with them? Or would I have to join a medical reserve unit?

Thanks in advance.

Quick question regarding medical technicians. Completing the two year paramedic program through Loyalist College, how would that effect an application to the Forces? Would I be considered semi skilled or skilled? Would I need to complete the 16 weeks in Borden for the PCP level 1 certification? I know through Loyalist, I will already have this.
Contact your local CFRC. They should be able to provide you with all the answers you need. As for "skilled" or "semi-skilled", I believe they apply to those with previous military services, e.g. reservist CT (component transfer) to regular forces. But like I said, CFRC will be able to tell you how your education will effect your application.

And how about age? I will be 34 when I am finished the 2 year program (it's part time) and can the age have a negative effect on my application seeing as I will be almost mid thirties by the time an application is filled out?
Don't think so.   As long as you are fit, your age should not have a negative effect on your application.

Reserve service, if I have my PCP Level 1 from Loyalist, could I walk into any Reserve Unit, say the Hasty P's in Belleville, and become a medical tech with them? Or would I have to join a medical reserve unit?
I do believe Reserve field ambulance provides role 1 and role 2 medical support for the brigade now. So I think you have to join a reserve field ambulance in order to be a medic .   Once again, CFRC will be your best source.

Hope that helps.

Back