• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Harry and Meghan to step down as senior royals

Is the Daily Mail fabricating a “much ado about nothing” issue about the Sussexes security? ‘Backlash’?  Is the Daily Mail a proxy of ‘The Firm’, trying to sew, or at least fertilize the seeds of dissension against Harry and Meghan?

Regards
G2G

What's in the back of Prince Charles' mind right now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn5e7vq5bqk

More - highlights mine ....
Princes William and Harry slammed a newspaper report Monday describing a severe strain in their relationship, calling the story offensive and potentially harmful as they embark on talks regarding the future of the British monarchy.

The two brothers issued the unusual statement even as Queen Elizabeth II was set to hold face-to-face talks with Prince Harry for the first time since he and his wife, Meghan, unveiled their controversial plan to walk away from royal roles. The dramatic family summit is meant to chart a future course for the couple.

Though the statement did not name the newspaper, the Times of London has a front page story about the crisis in which a source alleged that Harry and Meghan had been pushed away by the "bullying attitude from" William. The joint statement insisted that the story was "false."

"For brothers who care so deeply about the issues surrounding mental health, the use of inflammatory language in this way is offensive and potentially harmful," the statement said.

The meeting reflects the queen's desire to contain the fallout from Harry and Meghan's decision to "step back" as senior royals, work to become financially independent and split their time between Britain and North America. The couple, also known as the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, made the announcement Wednesday without telling the queen or other senior royals first.

The meeting at the monarch's private Sandringham estate in eastern England will also include Harry's father Prince Charles and his brother Prince William. It comes after days of intense news coverage, in which supporters of the royal family's feuding factions used the British media to paint conflicting pictures of who was to blame for the rift.

William is expected to travel to Sandringham from London and Harry from his home in Windsor, west of the British capital. Charles has flown back from the Gulf nation of Oman, where he attended a condolence ceremony Sunday following the death of Sultan Qaboos bin Said.

Meghan, who is in Canada with the couple's baby son Archie, is likely to join the meeting by phone.

Buckingham Palace said "a range of possibilities" would be discussed, but the queen was determined to resolve the situation within "days, not weeks." The goal was to agree on next steps at Monday's gathering, which follows days of talks among royal courtiers and officials from the U.K. and Canada. Buckingham Palace stressed, however, that "any decision will take time to be implemented." ...

It's getting serious...

On Sunday it was believed that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex have moved their dogs to Canada, prompting speculation they intend to spend most of their time there.
They reportedly flew their beagle and Labrador out to their property in Vancouver Island in November during their six-week sabbatical from royal duties.
The Duchess brought her beagle, Guy, to the U.K. when the couple began dating. The couple later acquired the black Labrador, whose name has not been revealed.

I wasn't aware the Royals had property here on Vancouver Island. So far as I'm aware they were simply staying at a guest residence, albeit a very swank one. I hope your post was sarcasm, in which case well done. However, the last thing most of us who live here want is some bunch of poncy Royals flouncing about with their security and foreign media intruding on our solitude. As a young couple, they would be much happier living in a larger city like Vancouver or Toronto where there is action and a vibrant social life. Unlike life here in The Shire where a band of escaped chickens makes the front page of the local newspaper. Please, Royals, go somewhere else. Frankly, anywhere else.

Looks like the Queen is going to support their request.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51099102

Also some questions about who pays for their security...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/bill-morneau-security-costs-harry-meghan-1.5424988

OldTanker said:
I wasn't aware the Royals had property here on Vancouver Island. So far as I'm aware they were simply staying at a guest residence, albeit a very swank one. I hope your post was sarcasm, in which case well done. However, the last thing most of us who live here want is some bunch of poncy Royals flouncing about with their security and foreign media intruding on our solitude. As a young couple, they would be much happier living in a larger city like Vancouver or Toronto where there is action and a vibrant social life. Unlike life here in The Shire where a band of escaped chickens makes the front page of the local newspaper. Please, Royals, go somewhere else. Frankly, anywhere else.

Are you kidding? Half of Victoria think they're some kind of royalty already. This will just fulfill their self-important imperial delusions :)

Remius said:
Also some questions about who pays for their security...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/bill-morneau-security-costs-harry-meghan-1.5424988
Cue memes complaining about spending tax dollars on foreigners when there's other things to spend it on? :stirpot:

milnews.ca said:

That fits in with my personal experience when visiting BC. When I visited Toronto my experience was opposite, friendly folks even to americans.
I had related my experience to a Canadian that I had met and he essentially said something like no worries, people of BC/Vancouver look down their nose at Canadians in different parts of the country as well..

tomahawk6 said:
When I visited Toronto my experience was opposite, friendly folks even to americans.

:)

Toronto has the world's 3rd largest population of Americans living outside of the USA
https://dailyhive.com/toronto/toronto-us-expat-population

No meme, but a comment about the funding of security for the ginger-haired, now-excess-to-requirements spare.

The UK government currently pays for the security arrangements for members of the Royal  Family.  Though that comes from the public purse, the revenue from the Crown Estate that is surrendered to the UK government more than covers any of those expenses.  Canada has no similar arrangement.  The Queen (as the Sovereign, or as an individual person) does not own (personally or in right of position) any similar property holdings in Canada that could be used for funding Royal Family expenses.  As the Duke and Duchess of Sussex would be coming to Canada as private citizens and have no official function here or any constitutionally mandated position, they should be responsible for their personal security costs (just like everybody else).  If the UK government wants to continue the funding of routine personal security for the couple, fine (they probably have a legal obligation to do so); if they contract the RCMP to perform the function within Canada, even better.  But otherwise the couple should be treated just like any other wealthy, young, socially connected family.  Let them trade on their celebrity to become "financially independent"; the local social climbers and politicians can kiss their asses but the local cops should not be providing any more services than would be offered to any resident of whichever community in which they settle.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/sovereign-grant-act-2011-guidance/sovereign-grant-act-2011-guidance
Sovereign Grant Act 2011: guidance
Updated 5 November 2019

1. Sovereign Grant
The Sovereign Grant Act 2011 came into effect on 1 April 2012. It sets the single grant supporting the monarch’s official business, enabling The Queen to discharge her duties as Head of State. It meets the central staff costs and running expenses of Her Majesty’s official household – such things as official receptions, investitures, garden parties and so on. It also covers maintenance of the Royal Palaces in England and the cost of travel to carry out royal engagements such as opening buildings and other royal visits.

In exchange for this public support, The Queen surrenders the revenue from The Crown Estate to the government which for 2017-18 was £329.4 million. The Sovereign Grant for 2019-20 is £82.4 million which is 25% of £329.4 million. Section 2 explains how this is calculated.

It was announced in November 2019 that the Sovereign Grant for 2020-21 will be £85.9 million. This is 25% of The Crown Estate’s revenue surplus in 2018-19 which was £343.5 million.

In accordance with the Civil List Act 1952, HRH Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh receives a Parliamentary annuity of £359,000. Although, the Duke of Edinburgh has stepped back from public official duties, he still requires office support for non-public official duties. The Duke of Edinburgh is Patron, President or a member of over 780 organisations, with which he continues to be associated, although he no longer plays an active role by attending engagements.

Visit the official website of the British Monarchy

2. Determination of the Sovereign Grant
Normally the size of Sovereign Grant for a given year is equal to a prescribed proportion (initially 15% and since 2017/18 25%) of The Crown Estate’s profit for the financial year two years prior to the year in question. This means that the Grant can be set firmly at the beginning of each financial year, e.g. the Grant for 2019-20 is linked to The Crown Estate profit for 2017-18.

The Crown Estate’s audited accounts are published in the summer. At the time of the Budget, the Royal Trustees (the Prime Minister, the Chancellor of the Exchequer and the Keeper of the Privy Purse) publish a formal report recommending the amount of the Sovereign Grant for the next financial year based on the formula described above.

If the whole of the Sovereign Grant is not spent in a given year, the surplus is paid into a Reserve Fund, controlled by the Royal Trustees. The amount that may accumulate in the Reserve Fund is limited in line with the provisions set out in the Sovereign Grant Act 2011. – this gives the Royal Trustees the power to set a lower level of Sovereign Grant than the formula would otherwise generate.

3. Accountability
The Royal Household is fully financially accountable. The Royal Household’s business accounts are audited by the National Audit Office (NAO) and laid before Parliament. The NAO may also undertake value for money reviews to scrutinise its use of public funds. The Public Accounts Committee (PAC) may in turn investigate these further.

4. Review of the formula for Sovereign Grant
The percentage used for calculating the Sovereign Grant is reviewed every five years. The first review began in April 2016 and assessed whether the 15% proportion value was appropriate. The Royal Trustees recommended an increase in the percentage to 25% from 17/18 to fund reservicing works at Buckingham Palace and Her Majesty’s official duties.
For more details, please read:

the Sovereign Grant Act 2011: Report of the Royal Trustees on the Sovereign Grant Review 2016
the Buckingham Palace Reservicing Programme Summary
5. Duchy of Cornwall
The Duchy of Cornwall is a private landed estate created by Charter in 1337 when Edward III granted it to his son and heir, Prince Edward (the Black Prince) and all his subsequent heirs. It provides each Duke with an income from its assets. The current Duke is the Heir to the Throne, HRH Prince Charles.

The estate comprises primarily agricultural, commercial and residential property, in addition to which the Duchy has a portfolio of financial investments. The Duchy consists of around 52,971 hectares of land in 23 counties, mostly in the South West of England. For more details, please visit the official website for the Duchy of Cornwall.

Under the Sovereign Grant Act:
a grant is to be paid to heirs to the throne who are not Dukes of Cornwall to put them in a similar financial position as if they were Dukes of Cornwall; this means that in future daughters of the monarch, as well as younger sons, could benefit

if the heir is not the Duke of Cornwall and is over 18, the heir is to receive a grant based on Duchy revenues; the Monarch (who in these circumstances becomes the Duke) receives the Duchy revenues, and the Sovereign Grant is reduced by an equal amount (so in effect, the heir would receive the Duchy income)

if the Duke of Cornwall is a minor, 90% of the revenues of the Duchy go to the monarch and the Sovereign Grant is reduced accordingly

6. Royal Palaces
The occupied Royal Palaces are held in trust for the nation by The Queen as Sovereign. Their maintenance and upkeep is one of the expenses met by the government in return for the surrender by the Sovereign of the hereditary revenues of the Crown (mainly the profit from the Crown Estate). The Sovereign Grant will allow the Royal Household to set its own priorities and thus generate economies.

The occupied Royal Palaces are:

Buckingham Palace
St James’s Palace
the residential and office areas of Kensington Palace
the Royal Mews and Royal Paddocks at Hampton Court
Windsor Castle and buildings in the Home and Great Parks at Windsor
7. Royal Travel
The Sovereign Grant covers the cost of The Queen’s travel on official engagements and travel by members of the royal family representing Her. Safety, security, presentation, the need to minimise disruption for others, the effective use of time, environmental impact and cost are taken into account when deciding on the most appropriate means of travel.

Where appropriate, The Queen and Other Members of the Royal Family use scheduled train services for their official journeys. In addition, The Queen, The Duke of Edinburgh and The Prince of Wales may use the Royal Train for longer journeys in the UK.

The Royal train enables members of the Royal Family to travel overnight and to work and hold meetings during lengthy journeys. It has modern office and communications facilities.

Journeys on the train are always organised so as not to interfere with scheduled services.

8. Tax
The Monarch is not legally liable to pay income tax, capital gains tax or inheritance tax because the relevant enactments do not apply to the Crown. The same is true for the income from the Duchy of Cornwall which is paid to The Prince of Wales. Since 1993, The Queen and the Prince of Wales have paid tax voluntarily in the same way as everyone else does. This is set out in a Memorandum of Understanding on Royal Taxation, updated March 2013.

The Queen is not liable to pay tax on the Sovereign Grant as it covers official expenditure only and, under the arrangements in the Memorandum, tax would not be due.

Other key points to note:

the Queen voluntary pays income and capital gains tax, alongside inheritance tax to the extent described in paragraphs 1.9 and 1.10 in the Memorandum. Tax is also paid on The Queen’s Privy Purse income (which includes income received from the Duchy of Lancaster) to the extent that it is not used for official purposes
other members of the Royal Family are fully liable to tax in the normal way. The cost of their official duties is allowed against tax
the Duke of Edinburgh pays tax on any part of the annuity that is not used wholly, exclusively and necessarily in the performance of his official duties. In practice the whole of the annuity is used for official business
9. The Crown Estate
The Crown Estate is the property of the Sovereign “in right of the Crown”, as found on the official website of The Crown Estate. Since 1760 each monarch has surrendered its revenue to the Exchequer in return for government support.

For more details, you can view financial information on this section of the official website of The Crown Estate.

The profit of the Crown Estate is a reference point for the calculation of Sovereign Grant. The Crown Estate does not pay the Sovereign Grant to the Monarch directly. It makes a payment each year to the Consolidated Fund and HM Treasury makes the payment to the Monarch.

10. Security costs
No breakdown of security costs is available as disclosure of such information could compromise the integrity of these arrangements and affect the security of the individuals protected. It is long established policy not to comment upon the protective security arrangements and their related costs for members of the Royal Family or their residences

Thanks for that Blackadder 1916 - much appreciated.

Meh.. I’ve got no issue paying for their reasonable security costs when they are in Canada. The feds waste far more money on more trivial things and nobody bats an eye.

Security ? I thought they wanted to be like regular folks on the dole ?  ;D

There's a net worth of $30 million between them both. Pretty sure they can pay for their own security.

Break out the pay sheets, it's official, Harry is now a 'Class 'A' Royal :)

Queen gives reluctant blessing to Harry and Meghan's plans

She agreed to a ‘period of transition’ and stressed the couple remain ‘a valued part of my family’

The Queen has given her reluctant blessing to the Duke and Duchess of Sussex to split their time between the UK and Canada, making it clear that though she had wanted the couple to remain as full-time working royals, she supported their decision.

After a historic summit of senior royals at Sandringham, details over exactly how Harry and Meghan will carve out the new “progressive” roles they seek remained unclear. The Queen has, however, agreed to a “period of transition” and stressed the couple remain “a valued part of my family”.

But there were “complex matters” still to resolve, and “more work to be done” as she said she wants final decisions to be reached in the coming days.

The Queen’s statement came after 90 minutes of talks, which began against the backdrop of Prince William and Prince Harry attempting to stem rancorous speculation about their relationship in a joint statement.

Shortly after the Sandringham summit ended, the Queen issued a personal and informal statement in which she also struck a conciliatory tone.

“Today my family had very constructive discussions on the future of my grandson and his family.

“My family and I are entirely supportive of Harry and Meghan’s desire to create a new life as a young family. Although we would have preferred them to remain full-time working members of the royal family, we respect and understand their wish to live a more independent life as a family while remaining a valued part of my family”.

“Harry and Meghan have made clear that they do not want to be reliant on public funds in their new lives.

“It has therefore been agreed that there will be a period of transition in which the Sussexes will spend time in Canada and the UK.

“These are complex matters for my family to resolve, and there is some more work to be done, but I have asked for final decisions to be reached in the coming days”.

In a highly unusual move Harry and Meghan were not referred to as the duke and duchess in the statement, only as the Sussexes and by their first names, raising questions about whether they will retain their titles in the future.

Monday’s unprecedented summit was attended by the Queen, Charles, William and Harry, and was the first time the senior royals had met since the Sussexes made their shock statement last Wednesday. Meghan was due to join by conference call from Canada, where she has been since Friday, with the couple’s son, Archie, and their two dogs.

The couple want to “step back” as senior royals, perform royal duties “as called upon”, continue their charitable work and, crucially, be allowed to earn a income.

The palace had been blindsided by the timing of the couple’s announcement, made without warning, which left family members feeling “disappointed” and “hurt” according to sources.

Ahead of Monday’s meeting William and Harry broke their silence over the royal crisis to condemn speculation about their relationship as “offensive and potentially harmful”

In a show of unity, the brothers jointly attacked a UK newspaper report, thought to be in the Times, though senior aides did not specify. A statement, issued through the princes’ respective offices, said: “Despite clear denials, a false story ran in a UK newspaper today speculating about the relationship between the Duke of Sussex and the Duke of Cambridge”.

“For brothers who care so deeply about the issues surrounding mental health, the use of such inflammatory language in this way is offensive and potentially harmful”.

Monday’s Times cited a source claiming Harry and Meghan regarded themselves as having been pushed away by what they saw as a “bullying” attitude from William. It reported the source, said to be close to the couple, as saying William was insufficiently welcoming to Meghan when she first started dating Harry. The source claimed that William’s attitude resulted from the competitive nature of his relationship with his younger brother.

The last year has seen repeated reports of a suspected rift between the brothers. Harry then appeared to confirm the speculation when he told an ITV documentary in October that the brothers, once so close, were on “different paths”.

It is unusual for palace aides to issue such vehement public denials on such personal matters. The fact they did so is indicative of just how sensitive feelings are within the family as they seek to reconcile differences and contain the crisis to prevent further damage to the monarchy. The palace is also desperate to avoid a repeat of any narrative such as the so-called “War of the Waleses”, which accompanied the breakdown of Charles and Diana’s marriage.

Final decisions yet to be made on the Sussex’s severance from full-time royal duties will have huge implications for the shape of the monarchy, and for the future roles of young royals including Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis, the youngest of the Cambridge’s three children.

No details were given of issues discussed, but they were likely to have included how much time the couple intend to spend in Canada, where their son will be raised, what royal duties they will still perform, and what commercial activities would it be feasible for them to undertake in order to become self-funding yet not risk tarnishing the royal brand.

One possible blueprint regarding how the couple could approach commercial enterprises are guidelines devised almost 20 years ago after the Countess of Wessex was accused of cashing in on her royal status in a bid to win business for her PR firm from a “fake sheikh” undercover reporter.

Those rules advise royals to first consult the Lord Chamberlain – the most senior official of the royal household – before taking on any new business activity. They also require that anyone connected with a business activity “should be carefully briefed not to try to exploit , either deliberately or inadvertently, the member of the royal family’s position, associations or access.”

Both Edward, who worked in television, and Sophie, who worked in PR, stepped down from their jobs after aides accepted they worked in areas prone to accusations of exploitation.

The move has raised questions over whether Canadian taxpayers would have to pay for the couple’s security costs during their time in North America but the country’s prime minister Justin Trudeau said no discussions had taken place.

Speaking to Canadian broadcaster Global News on Monday, he said: “There will be many discussions to come on how that works.

“But there’s still a lot of decisions to be taken by the royal family and by the Sussexes themselves as to what level of engagement they choose to have and these are things that we are supportive of.”

Earlier, Penny Junor, a royal biographer, said the Queen’s statement on Monday was “friendly and warm” and gave the couple space to find some perspective.

“I think it will take the pressure off them. I think they’re in a very vulnerable state at the moment. I think they’re unhappy, they feel isolated and unloved, unappreciated and they needed careful handling,” she said. “My reading from that statement is that the family has been sensitive to their vulnerability.”

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jan/13/queen-gives-reluctant-blessing-to-harry-and-meghans-plans

Back