• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Happy 100th birthday to the RCAF

Given the recent interest in the 'Masters of the Air' series, it's also worth remembering the RCAF's extraordinary contribution to Bomber Command in WW2. If you're in the area, you should pay a visit to the Bomber Command Museum in Nanton, Alberta...

Bomber Command’s Losses​

The successes of Bomber Command were purchased at terrible cost. Of every 100 airmen who joined Bomber Command, 45 were killed, 6 were seriously wounded, 8 became Prisoners of War, and only 41 escaped unscathed (at least physically). Of the 120,000 who served, 55,573 were killed including over 10,000 Canadians. Of those who were flying at the beginning of the war, only ten percent survived. It is a loss rate comparable only to the worst slaughter of the First World War trenches. Only the Nazi U-Boat force suffered a higher casualty rate.

On a single night, Bomber Command suffered more losses than did Fighter Command during the entire Battle of Britain.

The loss rate varied greatly as the war progressed and was considerably lower as the end of the war approached in late 1944 and early 1945. For most of the war, the majority of those who entered Bomber Command did not survive.

During the RCAF’s Halifax operations between March 1943 and February 1944, the average loss rate was 6.05%, producing a mere 16% survival rate (for a tour of 30 operations).

Canadian pilot and author Murray Peden recalls: “The crews faced formidable odds, odds seldom appreciated outside the Command. At times in the great offensives of 1943 and 1944 the short-term statistics foretold that less than 25 out of each 100 crews would survive their first tour of 30 operations. On a single night Bomber Command lost more aircrew than Fighter Command lost during the Battle of Britain. Yet the crews buckled on their chutes and set out with unshakeable resolution night after night. They fell prey to the hazards of icing, lightning, storm and structural failure, and they perished amidst the bursting shells of the flak batteries. But by far the greater number died in desperately unequal combat under the overwhelming firepower of the tenacious German night fighter defenders.”

Yet despite the chilling odds, the flow of volunteers never faltered. The price was known to be enormous, but it was a price which continued to be paid with unquestioning courage. If today it represents a debt which can never be repaid, it is at least a debt which must never be forgotten.

Statistical Summary of Bomber Command’s Operations

Total sorties: 392,137
Total aircraft lost: 12,330
Tons Dropped: 955,044
Total mines laid: 47,307

Canadian Bomber Command Losses Statistics

The Museum’s Best Estimate for the Number of Canadians Killed While Serving with Bomber Command is 10,250.

RCAF (Overseas) Bomber Casualties by Aircraft Type [Hugh Halliday Statistics]

• Halifax 3675 (32.8 %);
  • Lancaster 3349 (29.9 %);
  • Wellington 2586 (23.1 %);
  • Stirling 523 (4.7 %);
  • Hampden 296 (2.7 %);
  • Whitley 280 (2.5 %);
  • Mosquito 259 (2.3 %);
  • Blenheim 127 (1.1 %);
  • Manchester 123 (1.1 %)
  • Total: 11,218
These numbers include non-Bomber Command operations and aircraft such as the Mosquito and Blenheim in non-bomber variants.

These numbers include 379 Americans who were serving in the RCAF.

These numbers do not include Canadians in the RAF.

IHG does offer great member perks I won’t lie. They just never have a hotel bar
I was once at an IHG property during off-season, when they were offering a free evening buffet with free (Bud Light) beer.

Like most Navy folks, I used to mock the shipborne air department as was the fad.

But during Gulf War I those guys more than pulled their weight. Much respect for what they did and do.

“Best job in the Navy, worst job in the Air Force”, as the saying goes…
Pretty sure it’s “Best job in the Navy, second worst job in the Air Force.”

1712025139226.gif

My friend's father was a RCAF bomber pilot who survived the war. He married a lovely British girl and brought her home to Canada after the war. He stayed in the RCAF, eventually made the rank of Group Captain and retired in 1969. She remembered that he drank a lot, probably suffered from what we now know as PTSD, but he managed to cut back on the alcohol later in life. She never really knew about her father's exploits during the war as he never talked about it. She asked for my help in identifying her father's medals (I just gave her the link to the VAC's website) and she is now researching more about his military career.

My respects to the RCAF.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the worst job in the Air Force?

My friend's father was a RCAF bomber pilot who survived the war. He married a lovely British girl and brought her home to Canada after the war. He stayed in the RCAF, eventually made the rank of Group Captain and retired in 1969. She remembered that he drank a lot, probably suffered from what we now know as PTSD, but he managed to cut back on the alcohol later in life. She never really knew about her father's exploits during the war as he never talked about it. She asked for my help in identifying her father's medals (I just gave her the link to the VAC's website) and she is now researching more about his military career.

My respects to the RCAF.

For aircrew, it’s a toss-up between Tac Hel or Maritime Hel. The hotels just aren’t the same :sneaky:

Looking at it strictly from a trade perspective, it'll depend on the individual. I don't think anyone hates to wrench or fly, it's all the noise around it that makes your life that much difficult and distracts you from doing your job.

Back