• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hamas invaded Israel 2023

Yet wokism is exactly the same as antisemitism: a conspiracy based on the immutable characteristics of communities that happen to have it better due to cultural and behavioral, not systemic, reasons.
Well…that’s a take.

Yet wokism is exactly the same as antisemitism: a conspiracy based on the immutable characteristics of communities that happen to have it better due to cultural and behavioral, not systemic, reasons.

That's literally the opposite of what "woke" is. Woke is the recognition that there ARE systemic issues plaguing marganalized groups, which while these issues may not necessarily have an significant impact at the micro level, they effect these communities at the amcro level.

Sure. That's what they'd like you to believe.

In reality, individuals are the captains of their lives. Encouraging victimhood and powerlessness only feeds a self-sustaining mindset of failure.
Like I said, at the micro level, an individual can "pull themselves up by their bootstraps" and a kid from the hood CAN be a doctor. However, that doesn't happen as often and in the proportions that demographics would predict (the macro level) , and it's because of those systemic issues.

A pretty good read IMHO

Like I said, at the micro level, an individual can "pull themselves up by their bootstraps" and a kid from the hood CAN be a doctor. However, that doesn't happen as often and in the proportions that demographics would predict (the macro level) , and it's because of those systemic issues.
Yeah. I get that. I'm just not particularly moved by the fact that, say, immigrants are on the whole less advantaged by a society they migrated to than their own society. It's just part of the deal.

And focusing on miniscule challenges they face (like the dreaded "being asked where they're from"...) comes at a price when the whole of society starts sacrificing competence and truth in favour of quotas and feelings.

Antisemitism runs just below the surface of a lot of left's talking points about Israel. It's not hard to see how people can become radicalized when garbage like that isn't called out by the organizations(media, government) that should be doing it.
Doesn’t Canada have an antisemitism envoy whose mandate is to counter just this?

Yeah. I get that. I'm just not particularly moved by the fact that, say, immigrants are on the whole less advantaged by a society they migrated to than their own society. It's just part of the deal.

And focusing on miniscule challenges they face (like the dreaded "being asked where they're from"...) comes at a price when the whole of society starts sacrificing competence and truth in favour of quotas and feelings.
As a visible minority, my issue isn’t “where you’re from” (I say “Canada” anyways). It’s growing up with stigmas and prejudices that Caucasian folks generally don’t see. I’ve been asked more than once, in a disparaging tone, what my “real name” was because my English name is…well, English.

It may seem minor when it’s a one-off, but like ”death by a thousand cuts”, the effect is the same. The article below is old and American, but is still valid:

Anyways, back to the original discussion…

The Jews of my generation thought they would be exempt from history. They were wrong​

DAVID BEZMOZGIS
SPECIAL TO THE GLOBE AND MAIL
....The threat Canadian Jews feel is not from their governments but from certain segments of their fellow citizens. The threats that Muslims in Canada feel are the same. We fear each other, not the authorities. We have done it to ourselves. We have fled autocracies, dictatorships and failed states to seek the safety of liberal democracies where many different kinds of people are supposed to adopt democratic values and live together in peace. But when there is conflict far away, we behave as if we are there and not here. We take as a given that there will be rival marches and demonstrations. A rally in support of Israel one day outfitted with Israeli flags and predictable slogans. A march in solidarity with Palestinians outfitted with Palestinian flags and predictable slogans. We replicate the hostility from hostile lands, as if there is no other option. Yet, we still live each day in another, Canadian reality. Why we don’t see that reflected in the demonstrations on our streets is bizarre. Where is the march or campaign that recognizes the pain of the other? Where is the march that calls not for ground invasions or a free Palestine from the river to the sea, but for peaceful co-existence?
If we cannot do it here, how can we expect it to happen there? And if we don’t want it to happen there, what are we doing here?

My immediate thought, as a verbal minority (as soon as I open my mouth people know I'm not from here) is:

Is the author a Jew in Canada or a Canadian? Are the Palestinians Palestinians in Canada or Canadians? How many of the residents of Canada are Scots, Irish, Sikhs, Hans in Canada and not Canadians?

The country that invited us immigrants in was a liberal country with a liberal culture, one that sought to be accommodating and trusting that the people it invited in wouldn't take advantage of the trust it showed. I suggest that the well meaning liberals of Canada expected that their trust would be rewarded and not abused.

But given the pace at which new immigrants have been received into this country how much of that original, welcoming, trusting, liberal culture is left?

Conversely, how much of the culture is now a post-national hodge-podge of people that are still tied to their homelands and see Canada only as a refuge?

It seems that Trudeau prefers the hodge podge and is comfortable in seeing the previous culture subsumed.

My immediate thought, as a verbal minority (as soon as I open my mouth people know I'm not from here) is:

Is the author a Jew in Canada or a Canadian? Are the Palestinians Palestinians in Canada or Canadians? How many of the residents of Canada are Scots, Irish, Sikhs, Hans in Canada and not Canadians?

The country that invited us immigrants in was a liberal country with a liberal culture, one that sought to be accommodating and trusting that the people it invited in wouldn't take advantage of the trust it showed. I suggest that the well meaning liberals of Canada expected that their trust would be rewarded and not abused.

But given the pace at which new immigrants have been received into this country how much of that original, welcoming, trusting, liberal culture is left?

Conversely, how much of the culture is now a post-national hodge-podge of people that are still tied to their homelands and see Canada only as a refuge?

It seems that Trudeau prefers the hodge podge and is comfortable in seeing the previous culture subsumed.
Ask yourself this - if a person attending a Canadian Citizenship ceremony merely shows up and doesn't open their mouth at all during the Oath of Citizenship, so in essence doesn't take it, does anyone stop them from being handed their citizenship papers at the end?

I have no doubt that a large and substantial number of people taking the Oath of Citizenship merely say nothing during the ceremony and are still given their citizenship papers. Makes it very very easy for people not to swear allegiance to the Crown or Canada or anything related to the 'CDN way of life' (whatever the hell that maybe today) and nothing happens to them. They scam the entire process and obtain citizenship anyways.

Ask yourself this - if a person attending a Canadian Citizenship ceremony merely shows up and doesn't open their mouth at all during the Oath of Citizenship, so in essence doesn't take it, does anyone stop them from being handed their citizenship papers at the end?
Here is what happens and the steps to be taken. And the answer to your question is yes.

I have no doubt that a large and substantial number of people taking the Oath of Citizenship merely say nothing during the ceremony and are still given their citizenship papers.
What do you base that on? Have you attended enough ceremonies to back that up?
Makes it very very easy for people not to swear allegiance to the Crown or Canada or anything related to the 'CDN way of life' (whatever the hell that maybe today) and nothing happens to them. They scam the entire process and obtain citizenship anyways.
Again, see the relevant procedure if someone does not or refuses to take the oath or affirmation

How many Canadians born here have never taken any oath or pledged any allegiance to the Crown or anything related to the Canadian way of life?

I bet that proportionally there have been way more immigrants that have pledged allegiance to the Crown and Canada than actual people born here.

Here is what happens and the steps to be taken. And the answer to your question is yes.

What do you base that on? Have you attended enough ceremonies to back that up?

Again, see the relevant procedure if someone does not or refuses to take the oath or affirmation

How many Canadians born here have never taken any oath or pledged any allegiance to the Crown or anything related to the Canadian way of life?

I bet that proportionally there have been way more immigrants that have pledged allegiance to the Crown and Canada than actual people born here.
Show me the numbers/stats of how many are not handed out on a yearly basis? Have a process in place is fine - but is it actively, proactively used, consistently across the entire country? Answer that question.

Interesting process our Dutch friends have - not related to citizenship oath but a step prior to this.

Show me the numbers/stats of how many are not handed out on a yearly basis? Have a process in place is fine - but is it actively, proactively used, consistently across the entire country? Answer that question.
Do your own homework. I have no clue but that isn’t the question. You made the statement that a large number don’t actually say the oath at the ceremony. With nothing to back up the assertion up that it happens in large numbers and if anything happens when they dont. I showed you the process of what happens.

Again what are you basing your statement off of? Info? Data?

Last edited:
Reactions: ueo
As a visible minority, my issue isn’t “where you’re from” (I say “Canada” anyways).
I never get tired of this one:

Newton Crosby:
Where are you from, anyway?
Ben Jabituya:
Bakersfield, originally.
Newton Crosby:
No, I mean your ancestors.
Ben Jabituya:
Oh, them. Pittsburgh.

As a visible minority, my issue isn’t “where you’re from” (I say “Canada” anyways). It’s growing up with stigmas and prejudices that Caucasian folks generally don’t see. I’ve been asked more than once, in a disparaging tone, what my “real name” was because my English name is…well, English.

It may seem minor when it’s a one-off, but like ”death by a thousand cuts”, the effect is the same. The article below is old and American, but is still valid:

Anyways, back to the original discussion…
This week we have a new USN officer in our section of the building. So being a good guy I introduced myself and welcomed him onboard. I asked which coast he was from, "San Diego" was the reply. Then I asked "But where are you originally from?"

That's literally the opposite of what "woke" is. Woke is the recognition that there ARE systemic issues plaguing marganalized groups, which while these issues may not necessarily have an significant impact at the micro level, they effect these communities at the amcro level.
"Woke" is the exploitation of existing issues to create chaos and the means to destroy the existing structures to allow the formation of Marxist style take over. Even if most of the participant are unaware of the real purposes. It has nothing to do with fixing issues, just exploiting them.

Back