• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hamas invaded Israel 2023

Gaza was to be that. Israel gave it up and evicted Jewish Settlers from it. Both sides need land and water, but there is so little of it to give up. Israel is roughly 411km long by an average of 80km wide. West bank takes up 127km by 54km. If the West bank was given up Israel at its narrowest would be 13.6 km wide. Giving up the West Bank is suicide. As for Gaza, even the Egyptians didn't want it back. They also blockade their border with it as well. Israel has learned that except for Egypt, no good will come from giving up land.
A good chunk of the west bank is under Palestinian administration, just not Hamas. Far from ideal, but has been a lot better than Gaza as near as I can tell.

You're touching on my nightmare scenario. If Israel can't concede any land nor nationalize the people living there what are their options? Mass expulsion is a crime against humanity, as is mass imprisonment. How are they supposed to maintain any international legitimacy if they have to resort to that? Without international support how much more vulnerable will they be to extremists? Less brutal than Hamas is a low bar, but Israel is a western democracy and gets held to a higher standard than terrorist organisations. There is a lot of political peril in how they choose to respond.

A good chunk of the west bank is under Palestinian administration, just not Hamas. Far from ideal, but has been a lot better than Gaza as near as I can tell.

You're touching on my nightmare scenario. If Israel can't concede any land nor nationalize the people living there what are their options? Mass expulsion is a crime against humanity, as is mass imprisonment. How are they supposed to maintain any international legitimacy if they have to resort to that? Without international support how much more vulnerable will they be to extremists? Less brutal than Hamas is a low bar, but Israel is a western democracy and gets held to a higher standard than terrorist organisations. There is a lot of political peril in how they choose to respond.
Which is exactly what gave Hamas the freedom to execute this attack. They aren't held to account by anyone except the Israelis who are forced to retaliate. And as you pointed out their options to do so without looking like a bad guy are limited.

Yes Israel is bound by international law and standards. Hamas exploits that because they don't care about international law or standards.

Case in point a video of a west bank Israeli settler shooting at a Palestinian... condimation from supporters of Israel swiftly follows. Palestinians commiting mass killings and supporters of Palestine rallying around it.

The standards both are held to is different among their supporters.

Absolutely shocked this is coming from a university in Canada today..../s
Having grown up in Windsor and having attended U of Windsor at the end of the 80’s into the early 90’s, I can tell you that we had a fair number of Marxist-Leninist Party of Canada supporters at the place. Please note that this party continues to field candidates in Federal Elections even now in Windsor 30yrs later.
So, been there, done that over 35yrs ago folks, no surprise for me - Windsor, Hamilton, Oshawa - one and the same.

Some info from the Warzone on the clashes along the Israel-Lebanon border:

As the latest war between Israel and Hamas enters its third day, Israeli artillery and helicopters are striking targets in Lebanon after an incursion into northern Israel by “a number of armed terrorists,” according to the Israeli Defense Forces (IDF). Though it is unclear who was involved in the incursion, any combat along the Lebanese border raises great concerns about the potential involvement of Hezbollah.
Lebanon's Hezbollah has deep backing from Iran, a large ground force, and a massive arsenal of missiles, long-range rockets, and suicide drones that could strike across Israel and totally flood the country's already overwhelmed air defenses. Opening up a second front would also pull resources away from the Gaza operation and see Israel fighting in the north and the south. With Hezbollah operating in Syria, as well, and its deep ties to the Iranian regime, such circumstances drastically increase the chances of the conflict expanding well beyond Israel and southern Lebanon.
“IDF soldiers killed a number of armed suspects that infiltrated into Israeli territory from Lebanese territory,” the IDF said Monday on its Telegram channel. “The soldiers are continuing to search the area. Additionally, IDF helicopters are currently striking in the area. Details to follow.”
Today's incident on the Lebanese-Israeli border follows a puzzling incident yesterday when short-range artillery was fired from a school inside Lebanon at a mountaintop Israeli border installation radar and listening station. As with today's situation, it was unclear who was behind that, but that would be a prime target ahead of any Hezbollah missile, rocket, and drone barrage into Israel.
The highlighted again illustrates the dilemma faced by Israel in responding to these attacks.

The highlighted again illustrates the dilemma faced by Israel in responding to these attacks.

I don’t find that incident puzzling at all

The sage advice of Ricky Nelson

But it's all right now
I learned my lesson well
You see, you can't please everyone
So you got to please yourself

Seems like par the course for terrorists.

Try to entice a counterattack that will make your target look worse than you.

Remember these are the same people who were using children suicide bombers not that long ago.

I wouldn't put it past them to make sure children were at the school if they knew when a counter attack would happen.

I thought as much, watching some of those strikes throw up huge plumes of debris. I'm also assuming they have pretty much written off the hostages as unrecoverable, and a sacrifice for the bigger end game.

‘Israel’ doesn’t care about collateral damage’: Bunker busters used in Gaza​

Israel has used bunker busters to target Hamas in Gaza’s tunnels, which are also a lifeline for the besieged strip.

From the article:
"In the enclave – blockaded by land, air and sea – a labyrinth of tunnels is Gaza's lifeline, bringing in everything from food and weapons to fuel.
... [omitted mention of military usage, which is irrelevant to my point]
At present, there are unverified reports that the Israeli military has targeted the tunnels in northwestern Gaza by deploying a powerful type of bomb known as bunker busters."

Or as once happened a long time ago:
"In Britain - under attack by air and sea - shipping is Britain's lifeline, bringing in everything from food and weapons to fuel.
At present, there are unverified reports that the German military has targeted the shipping by deploying a powerful type of weapon known as submarines."

I thought as much, watching some of those strikes throw up huge plumes of debris. I'm also assuming they have pretty much written off the hostages as unrecoverable, and a sacrifice for the bigger end game.

Israel has used bunker busters to target Hamas in Gaza’s tunnels, which are also a lifeline for the besieged strip.

As they should.

Can't win against such an enemy if you hold your punches.

Back