• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Guns, Gangs and Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonny Boy

Inactive
Reaction score
i was just listening to the news this morning on my way home from work and i heard about another gun related murder in Toronto. to tell you the truth i was not surprised at all. gun violence is at a record high in Toronto and by the looks of it it will only get worse. with this being Toronto's 74th murder so far this year it is the highest number since 1991.

i was just thinking that Toronto is becoming less and less safe each year. i have some idea's why , but the biggest one is that the police can't do anything to stop it. i was also wondering about the new Police chief. i don't think he is doing even close to as good as a job as Julian fantino had done. it is now rare to go a weekend with out hearing of some type of shooting or murder.

i don't know if others feel the same as i do but this has become a real big problem. there have been 2 gun related murders down the street from me since i got home in september.

Gee, wasn't this stuff supposed to end when all us redneck hicks registered our coyote control systems?  I'm truly disillusioned, how could it fail?

Five billion dollars more and there will be no more problems with guns.

Murders are murders -- I dont see how they are rleated to firearms, knives etc.

2332Piper said:
I've got to say, I'm confused.

Sorry my feeble attempt at connecting the rash of gun related homicides in Toronto with the very expensive gun registry.

2332Piper said:
I've got to say, I'm confused.

I think it was sarcasm.

I take issue with a headline that states gun related homicides.  Guns are tools - inanimate objects -- Better put Gang driven Homicides - but heaven forbid the media protray a gang problem -- its gotta be a gun problem -- never make anyone responsible for their actions  ::)

Kev,
You are right, the problem is the gangs. However, the ability to have a firearm in these little pukes possesion means that they can pull the trigger and , just like a video game, something far away[ well far away for them] and impersonal falls to the ground.
The majority of these little shiit-rags don't have the parts to get close enough to anybody to do them harm one on one the olde fashioned way. You would laugh your asses of if you could see most of them go through A&D and, for the first time, they don't have other punks or a piece to make them feel like big men..... :crybaby:

Remember, the ability of these gang-members to aquire firearms has nothing to do with the legal status of them in Canada.  These are (for the most part, I am assuming) illegally-aquired and possessed.  Blaming the problems on guns in Canada is a red herring.  It's like getting upset with teenage drinking and driving and pointing the finger at the guy who has a beer after work....

KevinB said:
I think it was sarcasm.

I take issue with a headline that states gun related homicides.  Guns are tools - inanimate objects -- Better put Gang driven Homicides - but heaven forbid the media protray a gang problem -- its gotta be a gun problem -- never make anyone responsible for their actions  ::)
The other reason why people are more concerned with an increase in the use of firearms vs say knives, is that firearms tend to injure innocent bystanders, as these dimwits aren't very good shots.  Like that young kid Shaquan, who CityTV likes to repeatedly show on the news.  Or like at Caribana with people shooting at a target in a large crowd.  Huge potential for collateral damage.  That is why there is a concern, because these pukes have no qualms about using firearms anytime/anywhere regardless of who gets hurt.  It is much harder to accidently stab a bystander 10 feet away from a quarrel.

Infanteer,
I agree with you on the legality issue, I don't blame honest gun owners whatsoever.......I just think that those who traffic in these deathbringers should be facing the same penalty the rapists/ murderers/meth/herion/crack dealers should face :soldier:

Yup - I think there was a bill that the Liberals were drawing up (I'm unsure if it passed or not in time) that would amend the Criminal Code to impose harsher penalties on those who used firearms (or stole them) in the commission of a crime.  The problem is, for all the "get tough" legislation the government imposes, the justice system doesn't seem to interested in using the hammer they are provided....

The Conservative already added a firearm in commissioning of an offence.  It is never used.  The issue is not another law that won't be implemented - but implement laws that are on the books

Trafficing in unresgistered guns is for prison and no one ever gets it.

-Hutch- said:
i was just listening to the news this morning on my way home from work and i heard about another gun related murder in Toronto. to tell you the truth i was not surprised at all. gun violence is at a record high in Toronto and by the looks of it it will only get worse. with this being Toronto's 74th murder so far this year it is the highest number since 1991.

I'll have to search for a link, but I'm pretty sure that Toronto doesn't land first in Canada for homicide per capita.

Plus, I'm pretty sure it's the homicide BY FIREARM, and not necessary the general homicide rate that has increased in Toronto.

KevinB said:
The Conservative already added a firearm in commissioning of an offence.   It is never used.   The issue is not another law that won't be implemented - but implement laws that are on the books

Also, to implement harsher sentences for gun-related crimes.

midgetcop said:
I'll have to search for a link, but I'm pretty sure that Toronto doesn't land first in Canada for homicide per capita.

Plus, I'm pretty sure it's the homicide BY FIREARM, and not necessary the general homicide rate that has increased in Toronto.

Your right in saying that, Toronto doesn't land at the top of the list of homicides per capita, however Toronto does have the highest (if not the highest) number of murders committed each year in this country.   Personally I think comparing a Place like Sudbury to Toronto on the basis of per capita murder is like comparing apples and oranges. Additionally the numbers for homicide by firearms, and homicide are up this year in Toronto.   My criminology prof likes to tell us for the last 10 odd years Toronto only has had a high between 65-68 murders a year (some years less than 50 or 60). Seeing as how we are at 74 this year with just under a month left, I can safely presume the murder rate is up this year.

2332Piper said:
You could kill someone with a spoon if you wanted. I'm willing to bet cars kill more people each year then guns, but do you see the gov't trying to ban cars?

yes you could kill someone with a spoon but i don't think that happens to often. also most of the people that are killed by cars are not targets. drivers do not drive off the road hitting all kinds of people when aiming for one, thats what happens with guns and Innocent bystanders getting shot.

pistols are bought for one purpose on the streets. although people claim they are for protection, you would not need firearm protection if people did not shoot each other.

-Hutch- said:
yes you could kill someone with a spoon but i don't think that happens to often. also most of the people that are killed by cars are not targets. drivers do not drive off the road hitting all kinds of people when aiming for one, thats what happens with guns and Innocent bystanders getting shot.

Maybe not an intentional target, but a person hit by a drunk driver and killed is an unintentional act due to criminal misuse of an object (in this case a car).  The fact that a gun was used in an assault/murder is irrelevent to the fact that somebody decided to go out and kill another person.

-Hutch- said:

pistols are bought for one purpose on the streets. although people claim they are for protection, you would not need firearm protection if people did not shoot each other.

Well tell you what -- until criminals disarm  ::) -- I will keep my guns...

Your putting up terrible argument, in blaming a tool - guns are neither good or bad it is the weilder - we need to make people understand the value of human life, and also reinforce that peopel are responsible for their actions.

My personal guns have killed less people than Teddy Kennedy's car...  ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back