• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

'Grunts in the mist': anthropologist studies Canadian soldiers in the field

HCA

Inactive
Reaction score
Interesting article

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/story.html?id=f59fdbd3-b433-4f92-851f-232ce3f3c80f&k=35736

'Grunts in the mist': anthropologist studies Canadian soldiers in the field 
Article Tools

John Cotter, Canadian Press
Published: Monday, July 03, 2006
KANDAHAR, Afghanistan - Canadian soldiers on patrol who have been studied by anthropologist Anne Irwin have jokingly described her work as watching "grunts in the mist."

The tiny, grey-haired University of Calgary professor has spent years in dangerous places with front line troops less than half her age to observe how they construct their identities as warriors.

Now Irwin's research has taken her to Taliban country with the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry where she is watching how soldiers bolster their identities by sharing their battlefield experiences through storytelling with their peers.

"What counts in this context right now is whether you've been under fire and how often you've been outside the wire," said Irwin, 51, who wears the same combat uniform and body armour as the troops when she's in the field.

"These are tough, hard guys who people think of as being very one-dimensional. I guess what really strikes me is how much they really care for each other. How they can just pick themselves up and keep going."

When they are out in the field and return from a patrol, the exhausted soldiers relax together in small, tightly-knit groups - Irwin calls them "nesting circles" - and recount the events of the day or the mission.

Each soldier contributes a story, an anecdote or even a joke, adding stock and spice into what becomes a collective stew of experiences, she said. They also playfully insult each other.

The storytelling not only helps forge the individual identity of each soldier, it builds interpersonal relationships that can have a bearing on how well the unit performs on the battlefield.

"Joking is a big part of it, and teasing," she said. "It is not abuse. If you have been teased harshly it lets you know that you are part of the group."

Being a military Margaret Mead is pretty hot and dangerous work for a middle-aged academic. The bleak terrain of Afghanistan is a long way from Irwin's home in Sooke on cool, lush, Vancouver Island.

While Irwin is a marathon runner, she says enduring 55 Celsius temperatures while dealing with menopausal flashes has been quite a challenge. And there been more serious dangers.

Only a few weeks ago the platoon she was with became embroiled in a firefight with Taliban in which two Canadian soldiers were wounded.

Afterwards the stories didn't flow immediately. It took about 24 hours because everyone was exhausted and in shock, she said.

Then slowly the troops opened up to each other. They recounted watching a medic run forward straight into the line of fire to supervise first aid on their fallen comrades. They spoke about a sergeant who stood up under fire on the ramp of a LAV 3 to get a stretcher.

The soldiers also remembered how they all jumped back into the fight after recovering the two casualties until the battle was won.
"That was even tougher because by then they were exhausted," she said. "That just took character and discipline."

Irwin isn't exactly sure why soldiers, whom she has described as being part of a "hypermasculine culture that values stoicism and physical toughness," let their guard down in front of her.

Part of it could be the 16 years she spent in the Canadian Forces reserve.

Perhaps it's her academic credentials. Irwin's doctoral thesis at the University of Manchester was entitled: The social organization of soldiering: a Canadian infantry company in the field.

Maybe it's her friendly eyes and easy smile that show she really cares about them.

Recently the troops paid Irwin the ultimate compliment. They asked her to contribute to their storytelling sessions in the field.

"It's the most moving thing I've ever experienced. A real strong sense of inclusion," she said.

"It is very, very powerful. It gives me an insight into how it must be for the soldiers to be swept up into this family."

"Nesting circles"? That's some weird scholarship, but I'm sure it helps her keep her job at U of C. Kudos to her for roughing it with the troops in Afghanistan...

Well, scholars have their own vocabulary, as the army has :).
But I think ''nesting circles'' is her own name for it.

How would you call it? Or it there already a name for that?

It is a term found in Anthropology.  If you go look at "Gorillas in the Mists" you will see that the term has been used there also.

"nesting circles" = battle position? The whole part about menopausal flashes put me on information overload... ::)

Reading this all I can say is "Good on her!" For the troops to bring her into the fold, she has obviously gained their trust and respect and for that she deserves "Kudos."

Anne did her Masters on the interaction between new Pl Comds in a Rifle Coy and their Snr NCOs and troops.  She lived with C Coy 1 PPCLI intermittently for one year including a significant portion of RV '92.  She is also ex-Military (MP Captain I believe?) so that likely helps. 

While not being a fan of Social Scientists ( was it PJ O'Rourke or Kurt Vonnegut who said that they are neither social nor scientific ?), Anne is one of the good guys from my experience.

Good story, good troops.... We'll ignore the fact that she's (or was) an MP

Don't mess with the lady with the PMS would be a good suggestion for the Taliban ;)

Nesting circle... while the term isn't one I would be prone to use... it works and says what it says. I have no problem relating to it.

Interesting insight to those of us who haven't had the experience...would certainly read her writings Re: same in it's entirety

HL

Yrys said:
Well, scholars have their own vocabulary, as the army has :).
But I think ''nesting circles'' is her own name for it.

How would you call it? Or it there already a name for that?

Yep....they're called "Circle J...." or the proverbial "Cluster f...."      ;D

Regards

Sounds about right!!!  ;D

Never would have associated the inner circle of my team after a fire fight as a nesting circle....we drank about a 40 of rum and a case of beer and unwound usually telling tales from our battle not to impress but to feel out the others of how we did on our tasks as being done right. We listened close to the tales and corrected each others versions to shore up their view of the battle to inspire them to do better by correcting errors in judgement or skill and to pat a fellow on the back for a job well done. No individual bravado just insecure guys who wanted to be sure they did their drills right. So next time we went out the gate we where better then the last time. Being accepted into the circle was auto matic on encountering the EN. The circle was just our way to debrief and get better amougst the brotherhood. Rum was good to unwind also.

Sounds like a "nesting circle" (out of Gorillas in the Mists) to me.

I look forward to seeing what she comes up with, if it is ever published.  Sounds like a good read.

Now for something completely different - Will the Discovery Channel be producing a documentary on her works in the wilds of deep Africa ......Afghanistan?

Slow learners.  This type of activity was first shown in the movie 'King of Krasna/Peacekeepers' (1997).  It was one of the few aspects of the film that everyone I knew agreed as being well portrayed.  Beyond that, nice to see our guys portrayed as human. 

Centurian1985 said:
Slow learners.  This type of activity was first shown in the movie 'King of Krasna/Peacekeepers' (1997).....

*in best Comic Book Guy voice *

Worst movie about the CF........ EVER!

Regards

Recce By Death said:
Worst movie about the CF........ EVER!

True it was bad - but there were a few small saving graces, and dont forget the number of laughs it generated...  ;D

Yeah....the screaming of the platoon O "I'm the King of Krasna"

I never laughed so hard in my life.

Colin....there was another one, the name escapes me right now.

Regards

Recce By Death said:
Yeah....the screaming of the platoon O "I'm the King of Krasna"

A humorous moment indeed!  Time to get out the straitjacket!

I was more entertained by the portrayal of the LT as a morally righteous professional who was never wrong, and the WO as a snivelling rule-conscious work-avoider who learned how to become part of the team.  Granted there are situations where this occurs, but I didnt think it was a common enough steroetype to deserve to be perpetuated. (Back then anyway; cant say for certain anymore). 

This was on another site I belong to. It is a very interesting read. 

I was not sure where to post this. If this is in the wrong spot, Please move it. I don't think this has been posted before. If it has, I am sorry for the repost.

I just copied the link because there are several of letters.

http://www.ucalgary.ca/news/july06/irwin.html

Back