• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Google Street View Goes Online in Canada

leroi

Inactive
Reaction score
I'd thought they were already here?? I'll have to check and see if Guelph is included. They were here filming this summer. I think it's a neat feature although I would draw the line at the suggestion of Google Backyards :D !!!!

From the Canadian Press: October 8, 2009

(bolded by me)

The Google Maps feature was rolled out today displaying images on the Internet from a street-level perspective. The service is now available in Toronto, Calgary, Montreal, Quebec City, Halifax, Vancouver, Squamish, B.C., Whistler, B.C., Ottawa, Kitchener, Ont., and Waterloo, Ont. Once on a Google map, the user clicks and drags the image of a small yellow figure on a left-side scale and places it on the map. A photo of the street, including a 360-degree view, then appears.

Link

I think I passed one of their vans a week ago, here in Ottawa.  It'll probably take some time for them to upload all their data.  Perhaps I'll see my truck on Google Earth some time next year.  ;D

The small car with the camera array drove past us here on Petawawa boulevard about a month ago.Up until that point I hadnt heard of it.

leroi said:
I would draw the line at the suggestion of Google Backyards :D !!!!

How well do you know the yard next door?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abs9pKEDbo4

That's another tragic story; all those years of living like that and nobody noticed the strangeness going on in the yard.
-How to undo 18 years of emotional damage to Jaycee Lee Dugard. :mad:

mariomike said:
How well do you know the yard next door?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abs9pKEDbo4

Speaking of Tigers in the news, this is now the image of Parliament Hill that people from around the world will get when they view Parliament from Metcalfe Street with Google Streetview.
You are at the corner of Metcalfe and Wellington, in Ottawa, right in front of the Parliament of Canada. Now double-click on the street to go on Metcalfe. Instant protesters!:
http://streetviewgallery.corank.com/tech/framed/amazing-disappearing-protesters

You get a similar effect when looking at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. Looking from west to east, it's deserted, looking from east to west there's a bunch of what look like students sitting on the tomb.

ModlrMike said:
You get a similar effect when looking at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. Looking from west to east, it's deserted, looking from east to west there's a bunch of what look like students sitting on the tomb.

Thankfully they were not doing this:
http://www.canada.com/topics/news/story.html?id=522fbf0c-e034-4e67-bbd8-a0657769c3ec&k=95624
There has been some pretty notorious stuff on Google Earth, and now Streetview. Half the world seemed to be appalled that a person’s privacy should be invaded in such a way and then re-posted all over the Internet, and the other half wanted higher resolution images.

Too bad they took pictures of my front yard early in spring when my gardening works was only starting!

Antoine said:
Too bad they took pictures of my front yard early in spring when my gardening works was only starting!

More than a few images have been posted of people "watering" their, or someone else's, yards!

Reproduced under the Fair Dealings provisions of the Copyright Act.
Courting Controversy

Google Prepares Street View Launch in Germany

By Matthias Kremp in Hamburg
August 10, 2010
SPIEGEL ONLINE

LINK

Despite criticism of the project over the past three years, Google says it is moving forward with the launch of its controversial Street View service in Germany. Although the company hasn't given a launch date, it is starting a registration process for residents in Germany who wish to have their homes or property blurred out.

After three years of dispatching its iconic cars to photograph the streets of Germany's biggest cities, Google announced Tuesday that it is in the final stages before the launch of its Street View service in the country. When it goes live in the coming months, Street View services will initially be provided for 20 cities, allowing users to navigate them using 360-degree photos of homes, businesses and most other sites that can be found in Deutschland's Strassen und Gassen.

Google launched Street View in the United States in 2007, but it took years to bring the service to Germany because of privacy issues: Thousands of people didn't want pictures of their homes popping up on the Internet without their control. Reunified Germany is home to very strict laws about the protection of personal data, and sensitivities over the snooping and persecution perpetrated by the East German secret police, the Stasi, still persist two decades after reunification.

Germans Already Loyal Users

Despite considerable political opposition, Google workers continued to roam the country in specially equipped cars photographing city streets. There reason for trudging on was quite simple: demand.

Street View Germany's manager, Raphael Leiteritz, says that despite opposition to the service, Germans have already become loyal users. Of all of the countries that do not currently have Street View services, Germans represent the greatest number of users on the site. Leiteritz suspects they use the maps and photos for vacation planning and other activities. The service gets about 1 million page impressions a day from Germany.

That may also explain why Google is so insistent on bringing Street View to Germany. In areas where the company has made its navigable 360-degree maps available, the Street View service has increased traffic by 20 percent to the Google Maps service it is a part of. The company earns billions through advertising and it earns that money from the page views it generates.

Street View launched in many countries with little fuss, but in Germany criticism could be heard early on. Many wanted to know how they could have images of their homes and private property excluded from the service. And Google officials discussed the issue for months with local, state and national authorities.

Preserving the Right to Privacy

In a recent interview with SPIEGEL, German Consumer Protection Minister Ilse Aigner addressed the recent negotiations between her ministry and Google. "At the core of the talks between my ministry and Google was the need for people to be able to decide for themselves whether they want their personal environs to appear in photos on the Internet as well as what happens with their private data," she said. "Some may consider it small-minded or square, but there are still people who do not want to turn up on the Internet."

Aigner said she believes that photos of buildings and facades should be made publicly available. "But it makes a difference if these high-resolution, 360-degree photos of homes and gardens -- from which people can draw conclusions about a person's living environment -- can be called up at anytime on the Internet and marketed around the world."

Starting next Wednesday, the company has said the people can submit requests that pictures of their buildings be blurred out. Applicants must visit a special Google web page and submit their name and address. But being forced to proactively submit that information to Google is likely to irritate some.

In an interview with SPIEGEL ONLINE, Google's data protection official, Per Meyerdierks, said the move was unavoidable, however. He said the data was needed in order to find the corresponding buildings in the Street View database, but also in order to verify the veracity of the request. Residents who submit their requests are sent a letter by mail with a confirmation code that they must then enter into the special Google website in order to confirm that they actually live at the address they have submitted. The company believes this will help eliminate abuse or fraud.

A Tricky Process

There is nothing new about the method, and it is frequently used in order to confirm the identity of users of websites, but it won't eliminate every problem with the process. For example, the renter of an apartment can demand that the building be blurred out without the owner ever being informed. The process can also be tricky when a number of people live at a single address or in mixed residential and business zones. But the company has answers here, too. If, for example, a restaurant owner wants to make his establishment easy to find in Street View, but people residing in apartments above in the same building request that their homes be made anonymous, then the upper part of the building would be blurred with the lower part still showing.

When the service launches, the buildings that have been removed at the request of users will not disappear entirely. They will merely be blurred to the point that no individual details will be discernable and, thus, no privacy violated.

Once the website for submitting requests goes live, Google intends to give residents in Germany four weeks to either register their objections by mail or online. The deadline has been set in order to provide the company enough time to process the requests, to review them and make the necessary changes to the photographs before Street View goes live in Germany.

At Least 10,000 Objections

It appears that officials at Google are unclear about how long that process will take. The company has refused to provide a rough estimate of the number of requests it believes it will receive or to comment on the number of people who have already submitted them. After being asked repeatedly, a spokesman for the company said that German Consumer Protection Minister Aigner was at least heading in the right direction with her recent statement that the number of people who had submitted requests to Google was in the five-figure region, meaning at least 10,000. The company has not stated an official launch date for Street View Germany, but several newspapers are reporting that it is tentatively planned for November.

One can only speculate how many apartment and building owners will register their objections in the coming weeks. Google itself will be using that time to seek to convince Germans of the utility of Street View while at the same time informing people of their right to submit a request to blur out their property. In an unusual step for an online firm, Google plans to launch a major advertising campaign in Germany's newspapers and magazines. Google officials are hoping that, in the end, the majority of Germans will accept the service.

It is also hoping that only a fraction of Germans will reject the presence of their homes in Street View. Because the company has placed the burden for protecting their privacy on the users, there is a good chance the hope will become a reality.

If you didn't get to see your house on google street view, or couldn't get to it,
you will more than likely see it on vPike.com or simply click here

Your Virtual Turnpike.......just punch in your address or any other.
Amazing ;)

Glad my front yard was nice and manicured when the van came around. I don't see what the big deal is though, they've listed the home down the street from us as our address.

Although my trees are in bloom, they should try not to go down streets Blue/Black Box/Garbage day, or the day after when the wind has blown all the crap into your yard.    :nod:

57Chevy said:
If you didn't get to see your house on google street view, or couldn't get to it,
you will more than likely see it on vPike.com or simply click here

Your Virtual Turnpike.......just punch in your address or any other.
Amazing ;)

Same picture (of my house) from Google street view.

Anyway.....the reason why I posted the vPike is because I couldn't get to my house :crybaby: from the
google street view for some reason or another.
I'm glad to say that any painting on my house was already done.
I must have just mowed the lawn and washed the car. ;D

I can look right into a friend's back yard - and see her wind chime in her porch window - in the north end of Winnipeg! She doesn't have a computer - and I've never told her. I can see another friend's cat in her apartment window. I'm glad I live in the back of my building, and there's no back lane!

Back