• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Good Sports Bras

I find Lansinoh (sp?) works as well - it is in with baby stuff (it is intended for sore nipples from breastfeeding) in a purple tube - it si great for chapped lips too! haha

It contains Lanolin, and makes sort of coating over the chapped area. (sort of waxy like) - it may be the same as the Bodyglide

muffin

The runskirt I have is New Balance and I got it on line...

Lululemon sells a highly toted runskirt among my running friends...unfortunately there are no Lulu stores in Atlantic Canada, but...there is a store in Charlottetown that sells some Lulu stuff... I thought there was one in Halifax too, but I can't find the info on it.

Pilates Dynamic Fitness
133 Queen St Lower Level, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island C1A 4B3
lynnanne@pilatesdynamicfitness.ca

For more runskirt info see here: http://www.skirtsports.com/

And for more info on Sports Bras/chafing/Body Glide...http://www.runningmania.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2741

Muffin: Lansinoh is fabulous, I'd use that, but I can't find my tube...(I think my dog ate it!)

muffin said:
I find Lansinoh (sp?) works as well - it is in with baby stuff (it is intended for sore nipples from breastfeeding) in a purple tube - it is great for chapped lips too! haha

It contains Lanolin, and makes sort of coating over the chapped area. (sort of waxy like) - it may be the same as the Bodyglide

muffin

I used that stuff all the time while nursing. Never thought about it for post run though.....thanks!

Now what are these running skirts? Are they better to run in than shorts?

Pea said:
They basically look like skorts to me. This is actually the first I have heard of a running skirt. I get the impression it's shorts with a skirt over. Is this basically for women who want to hide their thighs and butt a little?

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. There are a couple different styles, one (like I have) has a longer short almost like a biker shorts covered by a little skirt. Skirtsports also sells one that has spankies underneath and looks more like a cheerleader or figureskater or tennis style skirt, and is a bit shorter I think.

I like mine because I feel fashionable enough in it to attend post race stuff in it if I didn't wear it for the race itself...

I think they look really cute, and I haven't heard any complaints from hubby yet. Actually, more of the contrary than anything. ;)

I am thinking I will look into getting one of these running skirts. I like tight shorts for running, and the skirt does make it pretty cute. I don't know if I want anymore attention while running though, as it distracts me from the task at hand.  ;D Pffft, who likes attention from boys anyways?  ;)

CdnArtyWife:

thanks for the lead.  I just ordered two of these.  Unfortunately, the are back ordered and won't be shipped until May 1 but I don't think I will need them until then anyway!

https://www.skirtsports.com/shop/product.cfm?id=D8017BB0-946E-0062-D20A4325BEA19F09

Those GymGirl shorts are cute....and the ipod pocket is a great idea!

I'll wait until my tummy is a little more toned before I buy a pair though...stick to my regular shorts and t shirts for now

Thanks to all for the great advice. I spent a couple hours yesterday at the regular department stores trying on sports bras; well, that's two wasted hours of my life I'll never get back. I learned the hard way that despite what many manufacturers think, it takes more than cotton, Lycra and a racer back to make a proper sports bra! Your breasts shouldn't hurt more than your legs after running on the spot for two minutes :(

After that time waster, I went to the Running Room at Bloor and Royal York. I tried the legendary Champion 1050 many of you spoke so highly about, but it doesn't come in larger sizes. The selection wasn't huge, but I picked up a Champion 2893. The thing is so comfy I think I'll use it for daily wear.

The price difference between department store and speciality sports bras is huge, but so is the quality. To anyone trying to skimp on these, please don't. Eat PBJ and tinned beans for a month if you have to, cut back on Timmy's and you'll have the cash.

Well, now I have the trainers, the sweats, and the all important hooter holder, so I'm born to run! My goal is to do 5km by the end of May.

Good to hear TMM. I found the selection of sportsbras for those of us who actually need them to be pretty limited when I was looking too.

I've gone on a few short runs lately, as well as made use of the elliptical at home and my Champion double dry seamless seems to be doing its job nicely. My next purchase is shoes too, and I think I'll hit the running room for those since I have heard so many positive comments.

Now.. where can I get new lungs? These ones have been killing me. I guess I just need to keep on the running so they can improve.  :crybaby:

The MEC Gemini Sport top is only $36 and well worth it...I too am a D so I can relate to the omg this shouldn't hurt like this breast pain when running with inadequate support...I haven't tried the Champions lately but previously they hadn't been effective...love the feedback from everyone here though cause there is nothing worse than throwing $40 out the window for something that is useless...

HL

I'll be the first to admit I am Cheap. (yup with a capital "C"). So, spending money on a bra that is a piece of crap really frustrates me. Before I got my nice one I have spoke of I spent about $25 on a cheap one hoping it would work. Of course it didn't, so I had to go spend $50 on another that actually does it's job. One of these days I'll learn.. In the meantime, ladies take care of your "assets", don't be cheap like me.  :)

If you are seriously looking for a good bra.  Under Armour.  You can get it at Sports Chek.  I swear by the brand.  A lot of the Military men use Under Armour shirts, briefs under their uniforms.  The make a good product.

Under Armour looks okay if you aren't that big...offers medium to light support.

I like it...wouldn't do me any good...not the bras anyway:(

HL

811 said:
If you are seriously looking for a good bra.  Under Armour.  You can get it at Sports Chek.  I swear by the brand.  A lot of the Military men use Under Armour shirts, briefs under their uniforms.  The make a good product.

As I posted in another thread, I only use UA boxer briefs. They are significantly better in all aspects than any other brand I've tried... no comment on their sports bras though...  :D

Mike_R23A, thanks for the tip, I read through the thread.  I'm a forum virgin, don't know much about them but Ladies, I do know this.  I was a 34kkk when I was 19, I had a breast reduction to a "c".  Surgeon said they were the biggest "naturals" he had ever seen on a small person.  Well, three kids later and not so "small" anymore,  I was back to a 36h, so two years ago I had my second reduction...AMAZING results.  Highly reccomend it.(sorry guys)  The surgery has the highest patient satisfaction results.  My point...if they are too big to be comfortable...get those "sweater puppies" lobbed off.  Now here I am two years later and I have enrolled.  My darn boobs grew back to a "dd" and now I am scared of all the running and up and down stairs at full speed at Basic.  Think I'll check out the Champion 1050.  Thanks for the tips and links, GH

Thanks, any other good brands?  I've gotta try out a bunch before I leave.  GH

greenhorn, I ended up with the Champion 2893 - so far so good. Next week I'll go to the larger Running Room downtown and possibly the Champion Warehouse Outlet to try on different ones.

We're all built differently so while one might be perfect for me you really need to take your sweater puppies for some in store running on the spot before plunking down the cash.

TMM said:
You're out of luck as the 1050 doesn't go above a C cup.

I have a 34D cup in the 1050 model.  In fact, I have about 5 of them.

I just went and checked my running bra stash... of the 9 Champion bras (gulp -- who knew I had accumulated so many?) I can only read the tags of the 3 most recent ones which are 1050s in 34C.  Also, those bras would be about 2 years old and I wonder if they make the larger cup size still... which might explain why I haven't been able to find 1050s in 34D for months... hmmmm. 

I am going to be soooooooo rotted if I can't buy them in D cups.  Bugger.  I finally found the bra that I liked. 

Back