• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Free Booze Benefits Homelss Alcoholics

I hear what you're saying, I just think a little more 'tough love' and a little less molly-coddling of our downtrodden might be in order.

I realize that will never happen and so the plan you posted is probably all we're going to get.

Personally I don't see anything wrong with the 'do nothing' plan for those that won't play along with my neighbourhood improvement scheme.

I believe that for the most part, alcoholics and drug addicts want to overcome their addictions, they just don't have anything else to focus on because they are practically 'invisible'. The old work farms weren't such a bad idea when you see what we've become now.

I remember when Granville mall was first opened, there were a few dope smoking hippies that would hang out there all night long. Now, it's the main residence for countless homeless people, along with various bridges they sleep under, alley ways and some even have tents pitched in Stanley Park.

I just think keeping them busy and absolutely refusing to give them any drugs or booze would be beneficial for everyone concerned. Those that don't go along with it, let them sleep outside and cut them off all support...medical, welfare, food. Let them fend for themselves, if they steal, put them in jail and don't give them access to drugs there either.

They'd soon get the idea that laying around in a drug or alcohol induced fog will shorten their lives fast and the alternative is the only game in town.

My problem with this idea is that people take it and start applying it to other addictions (like in Toronto with the safe crack kit, planned injection site, Van which already has one), with realizing that while alcohol is a legal substance, heroin and crack are not which mean they have to get the junk from someone, and as we have seen are seeing this just leads to more widespread problems.

Another issue is the fact that some(many) of these people have a variety of psychological issues, and they would be better off in Mental Health facility.  But left-wing do gooders see this as cruel and inhumane (the horrors, they have a roof over thier head, 3 squares a day, a variety of activities and professional staff to look after them.), so they get released into a society that they can't function in, and have to resort to drinking cooking sherry and listerine to make the voices go away.

Hatchet Man said:
Another issue is the fact that some(many) of these people have a variety of psychological issues, and they would be better off in Mental Health facility.  But left-wing do gooders see this as cruel and inhumane (the horrors, they have a roof over thier head, 3 squares a day, a variety of activities and professional staff to look after them.), so they get released into a society that they can't function in, and have to resort to drinking cooking sherry and listerine to make the voices go away.

That, in fact, is the next study this group is persuing. Do they have mental issues due to the alcohol dependency? With this treatment regimen help them?

One issue I haven't spoke to yet is the lack of a control group to compare the results to. Due to the researchers accessing the subjects medical files for the period 3 yrs prior to the study start, the evaluators were able to use the pts previous history during a similar time frame immediately prior to the study beginning and the "control".

This is common practice where exercising a control group (in this case subjecting 15 persons of similar previous medical history to asbstidence, which history has proven won't work) would be unethical because of the detrimental effects on the control group.

Back