• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fleet Management

TN2IC

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
As some of you may know I am a Reverist MSE Op located in Halifax. And I also show an intrest in the whole Fleet Management system since my eyes open up after my QL5 course.

Anywho, what my question is in reference to the new green Sterling stake truck, aka replacement MLVW. Would it make sense for the government to buy large number of reserve of these trucks. And for each unit the first year to get, example 10 trucks at first for whatever unit. And afterwards for the next 5 years to add 2 trucks to that fleet afterwards? Or even just one truck? So at less there is one new truck to roto though out the unit. Not all the SMP's kicking the can at once or having the same problem together. example.. gasket changes......extra mods done.... whatever your mind can think of.

Does this make any sense or is the Corporal thinking too hard?
Anywho I am out,
TN2IC

IMHO comes down to $$$ available for the project-ideally if we had a large military it would make sense to stretch producton out over many years to make up for attrition but that is not the way things are funded in this country. From Fiscal year XA to FY XD for eg the defence budget will allocate Y amount to dollars to satisfy a reqr for ZZZZ amount of trucks. About 1/3 of this money has to go to buying spare parts if I recall funding for Army projects from my Initial Provisioning days in Fort Fumble. To get the trucks for the $$$ provided they have to be built relatively consecutively given the manufacturer, if Cdn does not normally make this make of vehicle, and does not want to tie up his line for years producing a trickle of trucks for the military. As for staggering deliveries I do not think what savings might be recognized as you suggest would be substantial, and would be totally negated by having two types in service simultaneously. I was a Pl Comd in 2 Svc Bn when we switched from the deuce to the MLVW in late 1983 and prolonging the service of the former would have been torture as most were 1952-1955 vintage. My 2 cents-your feedback  svp. 

Another factor with a trickle of replacement vehicles would be problems from the incorporation of modifications and improvements to the vehicle by the manufacturer over time.  It is less likely that we could require the manufacturer to not upgrade his product in mid-production for "our" model as he continuously tries to win new contracts with new technology from the same production line (since we wouldn't be buying 100% of it's capacity).  The result could possibly be a more complex and more expensive maintenance and spares system to cover any changes in each model.

It's a non starter. MSE is going to keep putting so many restrictions on user units, that we'll never get the courses or qualificatitions to enable ourselves to be self sufficient. We'll be subordinated to your organization who'll be expected to support us, but even at this point, can't deliver. How's that? Never mind talking about assets, if you're own org has no intention of letting us drive it, you should keep this conversation to yourself............and the other bus drivers.

recceguy said:
It's a non starter. MSE is going to keep putting so many restrictions on user units, that we'll never get the courses or qualifications to enable ourselves to be self sufficient. We'll be subordinated to your organization who'll be expected to support us, but even at this point, can't deliver. How's that? Never mind talking about assets, if you're own org has no intention of letting us drive it, you should keep this conversation to yourself............and the other bus drivers.

Sorry to hear about your problem but this board is open to everyone.

Now as for MSE rule about keeping a qualifications, I think is nuts. And I am sure you agree. That is my two cents and I can't help what Ottawa has to says about it.

Also I am not a bus driver. I drive SMP....

Cheers TN2IC

*edit for spelling*

TN2IC said:
<snip>
Anywho, what my question is in reference to the new green Sterling stake truck, aka replacement MLVW. Would it make sense for the government to buy large number of reserve of these trucks.

You do realize that the Sterling Stake Truck is an interm replacement vehicle for the MLVW.

<edited for spelling>

Yeah I figure that out there my favorite Sapper...

TN2IC said:
Sorry to hear about your problem but this board is open to everyone.

Now as for MSE rule about keeping a qualifications, I think is nuts. And I am sure you agree. That is my two cents and I can't help what Ottawa has to says about it.

Also I am not a bus driver. I drive SMP....

Cheers TN2IC

*edit for spelling*

Nothing personal. Just a rage against the machine.

a78jumper said:
IMHO comes down to $$$ available for the project-ideally if we had a large military it would make sense to stretch producton out over many years to make up for attrition but that is not the way things are funded in this country. From Fiscal year XA to FY XD for eg the defence budget will allocate Y amount to dollars to satisfy a reqr for ZZZZ amount of trucks. About 1/3 of this money has to go to buying spare parts if I recall funding for Army projects from my Initial Provisioning days in Fort Fumble. To get the trucks for the $$$ provided they have to be built relatively consecutively given the manufacturer, if Cdn does not normally make this make of vehicle, and does not want to tie up his line for years producing a trickle of trucks for the military. As for staggering deliveries I do not think what savings might be recognized as you suggest would be substantial, and would be totally negated by having two types in service simultaneously. I was a Pl Comd in 2 Svc Bn when we switched from the deuce to the MLVW in late 1983 and prolonging the service of the former would have been torture as most were 1952-1955 vintage. My 2 cents-your feedback  svp. 

I was more hinting at different years because of the life span of these vehicles. To off set the same problem, but now thinking about it, I think am on crack.

We will always have a problem with the purchase of any vehicle when we order up a batch, taking up 7 years to develop Purchase order & contract bidding, getting everything in one big delivery.... and then nothing for 20+ years.

Much better off buying a couple of 100 of the shelf SMPs each year from someone, anyone who is willing and capable of standing behind their product.

Back