• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Field Kitchen Requirements

rwgill

Inactive
Reaction score
To all those CF Cooks out there..................

What is required, to operate a field kitchen for approximately 60 people of a weekend (5 meals)?

Here is the situation.

Cadet units have been told that they will no longer be given IMPs.  Usually this is not a problem.  Some units, like the one I volunteer with, are located approximately 1.5 hrs from the closest mess hall and training area.  Hayboxing will be a challenge. 

We have been told that we will be given money to acquire fresh rations and cook ourselves (on naphtha Coleman stoves), or we could have the FTX catered (very pricey).  I own a restaurant so I can help out, to a point, with providing rations.  While I am also an instructor, catering the cadet unit will pull me from the field and into my restaurant.

My idea was simple.  Hire (task out) field cooking to local militia unit cooks.  This could be a win/win situation for the cadet units, by being fed, and the cook, by gaining more experience (and days paid).

My problem is, of course, proving to the chain of command that this idea may work and save money.  Cooking on naphtha stoves is very difficult and there is always the food safety issue.  With a field kitchen we can also provide a more nutritious diet, as opposed to hamburgers and french fries.

Lastly, is it possible for a civilian to be qualified on the field kitchen?  I have been in this industry for quite a long time and own my own restaurant for the last two years.  Cooking isn't the problem, knowing the quirks of equipment is.

Cheers,

Rob

IIRC, and I may be wrong, but the start point is a 6A qualified cook. Without one of those, everything else is a non starter. If you have one of those, he'll be able to help you out with everything else.

cooking in the field kitchen is not an issue
operating and servicing the equipment is.

really think you should have a talk with the rep from your local sponsoring unit AND the Cadet Regional Support Unit.  They have the contacts, they're the ones who will be able to tell you what is and isn't possible AND what it'll cost.

Good luck

Thanks so far guys.

I have attempted to discuss this with the RCSU, through Det, but no one is quite sure what the best way to handle the situation is.  It was briefly discussed at the COs' Conference in June, but no details.  At the moment, everyone is worried about Cadet Summer Training Centres, so little time to focus on long term affairs (or so I am being told).  I have also never heard of cadets requesting or receiving the support of a field kitchen.  No one I have spoken to, has ever heard of this being done for cadets, though they seem interested and appreciate its abilities.  Again, everyone is too busy at the moment to look at this option.

Our affiliated unit is 28 FD Amb.  Our support unit is CFSU Ottawa.  The closest mess hall is Connaught.  The closest Svc Bn is 28 Svc Bn in Ottawa.  We are half way between Ottawa and Montreal.  Many other cadet units across the country are in the same boat here.............in the middle of no where.  There is a cadet unit located farther eastin Ontario, making Montreal (St. Jean) much closer, yet due to borders and boundaries of responsibilities, are supported by CFSU Ottawa.  Currently, all of the reserve units are preparing for an exercise, so they are too busy to answer me.

This is why I am here, to learn from you, the professionals.  Hopefully save people some time, make some reservists some money and save the gov't some money.

I have options open to me.  I am just trying to find the best solution.  I will gladly sit here and wait for a 6A cook, while I try other sources for the information.

Thanks,

Rob

Given the relative strength and size of the units, 51 BNS in Montreal is more likely to be able to provide a field kitchen and cooks than 28 Svc Bn.

Thanks.

I have an "in" with 28 Svc Bn now.  They may have two kitchens.............one for sure.  They are not used often, because they are a pain.

I don't think my question was all that clear before.  I am just looking to know how many people it takes to operate.  How many vehicles?  Fuels? 

Thanks again

We use our field kitchen a bit.  This is what I have learned from our KO.  It should be manned by at least 2 people, it is supported with a MLVW, specially configured (IIRC) and it uses propane.

When I was in cadets my corps got the regimental cook to come out on ex with us. He brought with him these portable stoves with small tanks beneath them. Much stronger than any Coleman stove. Maybe some cook on this site can help you identify them. They looked a lot like the ones used in field kitchens.

With food provided by the corps he was able to whip up enough warm food for everyone on those few stoves and it was much less a hassle than a field kitchen.

11 years later my regiment still has those stoves but we haven`t touched them in a decade. Maybe they`re obsolete?

Good luck

Those stoves are  called M2 burners and we don't use them too often they operate with fuel insted of propane...the last place i've seen it used was in Nunavut with the Rangers.

Actualy we did had the support of our unit (55 BNS) last year, and I was great.

it was good time to train junior cook under the suppervision of qualified one's and we had one of the best exercise under taht matter...

PM inboud to tell you how we did it. :)

The M2 Burners can be so dangerous if your not careful

Ahhh... that's how you can tell the difference gbetween the amateur and the pro ;)

(also - permanently singed armhairs & eyebrows)

Back