• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Federal Budget 2024 megathread

Which is a huge issue with the Feds waving money around with a “do it our way, or the highway” bribery methodology to their benevolence.

Like I would trust Housing Minister Sean Fraser…he was a flaming pile as Immigration Minister, and isn’t any better in the housing portfolio. It was on his watch as Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship, with all his and the Government's promises to bring her to Canada, that Afghan female MP Mursal Nibizada was killed by Taliban.

The current government should in no way be surprised that the majority of Canadians these days simply don’t trust anything they say or promise.

Amazingly, wishing really, really hard while flogging business and Provinces, and throwing tax payers' bucks around, won't make it so (in time for the election) ;)

Report expects Canadian home prices to hit record highs in 2026​

Despite approval for new builds, rental construction has been slowed by labour challenges, says economist​

But I guarantee when public sector jobs get cut, a few here will be high fiving and cheering that.

Do not miss the, "I pay your salary" types.

Even while breaking your back trying to help them. :)

Amazingly, wishing really, really hard while flogging business and Provinces, and throwing tax payers' bucks around, won't make it so (in time for the election) ;)

Report expects Canadian home prices to hit record highs in 2026​

Despite approval for new builds, rental construction has been slowed by labour challenges, says economist​

Got me thinking again.....

Retraining seems to be a preferred course of action for this government.

Which do you think is easier? Training roughnecks to build windmills? Or training wombish persons with social justice degrees how to lay shingles?

Of course you are correct.

I personally wouldn't say "I pay your salary" to someone doing their best to help me.

But, like you say, the customer is always correct. :salute:
Nearly everyone in Canada pays each others salary- if you use a business you pay a salary. It’s a daft comment. And most of the people I deal with more than likely get their taxes returned to them with all the contributions they make to society sooooo

What matters is if salaries keep increasing without commensurate increases in productivity.

Of course, you never talked back to a customer.

But, used to think to myself, instead of griping at us about being "over-paid and under-worked".

As if the Call Volume was not already high enough to satisfy them.

"I don't have it, so you shouldn't either!"

Why not look at it this way, instead, "If they have it – why don't I?"

Like crabs in a bucket, on a race to the bottom.

But I guarantee when public sector jobs get cut, a few here will be high fiving and cheering that.

You think so?

Bluntly and on the face of it, I worked half the year to pay taxes until Tax Freedom Day. Let's pick a number for simplicity, $10,000. The other half of the year I got to keep those wages paid to me by the government, $10,000. Simply, I payed my own wages. I gave them $10,000, they gave me back $10,000 in wages.

I know it's a little more complicated than that, but the basic premise holds.

Tax Freedom Day in 23 was June 15. 15 days short of 1/2 a year.

Of course, you never talked back to a customer.
Of course, I did. It was one of the handful of times I came close to being fired.
But, used to think to myself, instead of griping at us about being "over-paid and under-worked".
Not really the problem at all. Roughly: we're able to afford more programs or more regulations - both of which require increases to public service employee counts - or more compensation for those already employed because of increasing productivity, which ultimately drives increasing revenue (primarily taxes). If productivity gains falter, or public service employee counts increase needlessly, or public service employees are granted compensation gains beyond what is necessary to counter inflation and to maintain parity with comparable private occupations, then the music will stop. Most public service jobs are not themselves amenable to productivity improvements.
Why not look at it this way, instead, "If they have it – why don't I?"
If they all did, pretty much everyone would be on equal footing as consumers. Except for a few very wealthy people, everyone would be earning approximately the median income. The amount of goods/services wouldn't change. So everyone above median income would find their lifestyle slipping back to roughly what the median income supports. Median income in Canada is a little under $70K. Readers can judge for themselves how much of a slip (or gain) that would be. I suspect a few would cough up their skulls if that came to pass.

Back