• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Favourite War Movies

cadettrooper said:
By any chance was the movie called "The Wild Geese"?  starring Richard Burton and Roger Moore? :salute: :cdn:

WTF...?! No, there's no chance. have youeven seen the "Wild Geese" or are you just jumping in cause you feel that you have to post someplace and can't think of anyware better.

Keep it shut unless you know what you're talking about.

Staff

Ok...another one that I don't think has been mentioned...."Play Dirty" with Micheal Caine and Nigel Davenport....a SAS/LRDG  type movie in North Africa dureing the second world war...anybody besides me remember it?
Cheers
Gene

Genetk44 said:
Ok...another one that I don't think has been mentioned...."Play Dirty" with Micheal Caine and Nigel Davenport....a SAS/LRDG  type movie in North Africa dureing the second world war...anybody besides me remember it?
Cheers
Gene

I do, a classic.

1 Go Tell the Spartans
2 Odd Angry Shot
3 Eye of the Needle
4 A Bright Shining Lie
5 Big Red One
6 Cross of Iron

I'm surprised that no one came up with George C Scott as Patton.  Another classic.

They showed Cross of Iron on our QL3 Infantry course.  Excellent flick.

Edit: There were movies made based on Bravo Two Zero and The One That Got Away?

Breaker Morant has to make this list - Australians in the Boer War, based on Scapegoats of the Empire.  (When Kithencer's memoirs were released 75 years after his death it was revealed he did issue the 'shoot Khaki' order.)

Soldier isn't bad, although a bit questionable.

The 'Cross of Iron' DVD I have is truly crappy as it was released on the Hen's Tooth label out of Japan... any better copies?

I can't stand 'Battle of the Bulge'; poor effects and Robert Shaw as Joachim Peipper just doesn't cut it.

If anyone gets a chance to see 'Attack and retreat' do so.  It's about the Italians in Russia and a rare view of what Germany's allies went through.

Top Five favourite War movies set after 1900 (I'm making it easier for myself. Also would you consider Gladiator a war movie? It did have a war at the beginning!)

1. Patton
2. Black Hawk Down
3. Saving Private Ryan
4. Platoon
5. (Tie) Lawrence of Arabia or Enemy at the Gates (It was really hard for me to decide when I got to five)

Worn Out Grunt said:
I can't stand 'Battle of the Bulge'; poor effects and Robert Shaw as Joachim Peipper just doesn't cut it.

Yeah it got a bit ridiculous after a while watching the americans fling their arms in the air when they got shot and doing cartwheels when they got blown up.

I think my favourite would have to be Stalingrad.  Those winter battle scenes look brutal.

A couple of real oldies which will reflect my age
Cockle Shell Heroes- Royal Marine Cdo. raid into France during WW 2 Using kiyacs True story, exellent
film
A Walk In The Sun-Story of a US army infantry section patrol WW2 in Italy,Richard Conti played starring
role, a very lowkey movie very non Holliwood could have been made by the Brits.

Pork Chop Hill-For me the only decent film about the Korean war,a company commander tries get his
poorly trained ,UNmotivated men to take a hill to satisfy the ego of his battalion commander.
In addition I would like to say how much I disliked A Bridge Too Far the only good part was the jump
itself,the book was written by Cornilius Ryan who disliked the Brits. in general and Gen.Montgomery
in particular and made every effort to make the British look stupid and arrogant,and of course his
American countrymen look like the heroes of the piece,this attitude set the tone of the film.Another
good part of the film is that the world premeir was at the homes of the British,US,and Can.airborne
so I got to see this turkey for free ,being in Edmonton at the time.

time expired said:
A Walk In The Sun-Story of a US army infantry section patrol WW2 in Italy,Richard Conti played starring

Excellent movie - I watched it numerous times as a kid. It really focused on the psychological aspects of the war more than most movies of its era.

Another good one, I saw on the history channel is Desert Rats (1953)(No, Its not about SAS) But about the 7th Armoured Div.

Plot:
Rommel has the British in retreat on his way to the Suez Canal. All that stands in his way is Tobruk, held by a vastly out numbered force of Australian troops. Richard Burton leads these troops on daring raids against Rommel, keeping him off balance as they earn the nickname 'The Desert Rats'.

I noticed some people here mentioned Four Feathers.  Which version: 1939, 1978 or 2003?

Thanks.

Odd Angry Shot (totally forgot about that until I saw it mentioned)
All Quite on the Western Front
Three Kings
Saving Private Ryan (except the ending)
Eagle Has Landed

Zulu (1964) (mentioned)
Zulu Dawn (1979) (mentioned)
but
have you seen Shaka Zulu (1987) A must see if you enjoyed the other two. The true story of the life and rise to power of Shaka, the greatest Zulu leader in history. Starting from his birth, this film takes us through his difficult childhood, his taking by force the leaderhsip of the Zulu nation, and then to his dramatic fall, due mostly to the influences of the British colonialists.

Loved all three.

I just zipped through these and cannot believe nobody mentioned

'Kelly's Heroes" with Clint Eastwood, Telly Savalas and others; several US NCOs plot to steal Nazi gold in Germany, or

"The Devils Brigade" with William Holden, and a host of other famous actors; about the forming of the Canada/US SSF of WW II, many references to PPCLI legends!!.

Hi,

First and only season of OVER THERE was good.
Didn't like JARHEAD.

Favorite movies right now are TEARS OF THE SUN and BLACK HAWK DOWN.

time expired said:
A couple of real oldies which will reflect my age
Cockle Shell Heroes- Royal Marine Cdo. raid into France during WW 2 Using kiyacs True story, exellent
film

Pork Chop Hill-For me the only decent film about the Korean war,a company commander tries get his
poorly trained ,UNmotivated men to take a hill to satisfy the ego of his battalion commander.

Oh yes, oh yes.  As one almost senior citizen to another I like your choices,  A particularly favorite black & white of mine is From Here to Eternity.  A classic tale of garrison life in the peacetime regular army on the eve of Pearl Harbour.

Back