• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Favourite War Movies

The Great Raid wasn't that bad of the movie. Never know that event happened. I really liked  it.

My fav's are:

Full Metal Jacket
Black Hawk Down
The Patriot
Braveheart
Platoon
Saving Private Ryan

The usuals  ;D

I didn't check all the replies, but I saw a movie called "The odd angry shot" about Australian SAS in Vietnam. I enjoyed it because some of the troops were using FN's and the firefight scenes were pretty realistic. Can't find it anywhere now...

Gnplummer421

I'm surprised that "The Odd Angry Shot" only showed up on a few people's lists (I didn't slog through the middle 8 pages ..... wading through some of the choices made me realize that too many people watch bad war movies. Read that as: bad Hollywood war movies).

This was a memorable one for me: "84Charlie MoPic". It was a movie filmed like a documentary about a 84C MoPic - the US Army designation for a combat-cameraman (film). It was a looonnnnnnggggg time ago that I watched it, but I still remember it as being very good.

"The Wild Geese" was a classic (mercenaries in Rhodesia). "Wild Geese2", not so much.

My favourite "Hollywood" war movie would have to be BoB, but to be fair to a lot of the other movies, BoB had so many episodes to help flesh out the characters, and the average movie only has 90-120 minutes to do the same.

One I liked about the Balkans conflicts was "The Savior". It was somewhat hokey, but had some good scenes.

Al

Alright, this is KILLING me.

Both me and my roomate remember seeing a film that takes place during WW2.  It was about a section of British Paras on a mission behind german lines.  At one point they capture a German, at another point one of the guys in the section clears a house. 

The thing that sets this film apart is that throughout the movie we hear the character's thoughts.  Like when the one troop clears the house, he's remembering his drills.  His thoughts sound something like: "Open the door...  stay out of the light...  prime the grenade...  throw it... 1... 2... 3..."

Nobody anywhere has heard of this movie, but i know it exists.  Anybody heard of it?

1) Band of Brothers
2) We Were Soldiers
3) Tigerland

Forest Gump for honorable mention

Hi Guys
I've just gone through this whole thread....and actually it's kind of hard to list my favorite war movies...there are so many
The Beast
Bridge Too Far
Longest Day
Stalingrad
Private Ryan
Band of Brothers
Zulu
Zulu Dawn ;D don't think anybodys mentioned that one yet
Waterloo        """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
Enemy at the Gates
Das Boot
now  somebody mentioned "No Mans Land"  is that the movie about the 2 or 3 guys trapped in a trench between the lines in the former Yugoslavia? cuz that was a good flick
and how about the Korean War flick about some US infantry that hook-up with a British tank(Centurion?)...the only scene I can remember was when the tank crushed a truck with a Chicom in it who was trying to escape.....saw that one about 40 years ago so the details and title are gone in the mists of time :-\

Black Hawk Down
We were Soldiers
Saving Private Ryan
Band of Brothers
Behind Enemy Lines
Enemy at the gates
Das Boots

I haven't seen Jarhead yet, I'm hoping it will be a good one

my favourites are:

Stripes
Private Ryan
Apocalypse now
The Dirty Dozen (1967)
Enemy at the Gates
U-571
Wind Talkers

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it but a relatively new film that was released to dvd is "Lord of War" with Nicholas Cage. About a Ukranian illegal arms dealer. A very dark comedy and a very good film.

that was an Execellent movie. fantastic. I didn't include it as it's not really a war movie more like a smuggling movie but still very good.

Is that the one where one of the para's keeps saying "But I am a pacifist!"?

It's been a long time since I've seen the movie but yeah, I think that's the one.

Buz

Jantor/Buz is right it's a A Long Day's Dying based on the novel by Alan White who it looks like did the screenplay. I've only seen it once but seemed like a good adaptation of the novel. White did several novels with some of the same characters. The movie was done in 1968 and seems to have a bit of an anti war stance (Vietnam era) but so do the novels.

They weren't Paras IIRC but Army Commandos although the German was a FJ.

By any chance was the movie called "The Wild Geese"?  starring Richard Burton and Roger Moore? :salute: :cdn:

one of my favorites that anyone has yet to mention is a Vietnam era film called "Siege on Firebase Gloria" (B movie) :salute: :cdn:

Back