• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Favorite Issued Kit

Bivvy bag, the leather DEU gloves, the new toques, I still quite like the GP and Gortex boots they were issuing a decade ago (always fit my feet fine and I am still using them). Those zip up Naval boots were also pretty solid for emergency stations.

Bivvy bag, the leather DEU gloves, the new toques, I still quite like the GP and Gortex boots they were issuing a decade ago (always fit my feet fine and I am still using them). Those zip up Naval boots were also pretty solid for emergency stations.
The GP and Gortex boots could have substituted for concrete blocks in the Mafia movies 😏

The GP and Gortex boots could have substituted for concrete blocks in the Mafia movies 😏
Boots that need to be modified after issue - the soles were hard rubber, froze solid in winter therefore it was guaranteed the wearer would end up on his or her ass. Sometimes injuring themselves. Horrible boots.

I've got a couple of personal favourites that haven't yet been mentioned.

1. The current (Old?) NCD Jacket. It's the perfect fall/spring/Victoria winter jacket, and great when the AC is working a little too well on the mids. It's one of the few jackets issued to me over the years I actually enjoy wearing.
Current-RCN-NCO-NCDs.jpg

2. The current issue navy wind and rain jacket. Which pairs nicely with the NCD jacket to work in cold weather or goes with 3B so I don't have to buy an ugly Canex jacket.

Which pairs nicely with the NCD jacket to work in cold weather or goes with 3B so I don't have to buy an ugly Canex jacket.
I mean, fashion is fleeting and all that but I see bomber jackets that look just like the RCAF/RCN Canex jackets being worn by the younger generation in cities.

I mean, fashion is fleeting and all that but I see bomber jackets that look just like the RCAF/RCN Canex jackets being worn by the younger generation in cities.
Yeah, they can have them and their other 80s fashion trends as well. I lived it once...

The heavy-weight Airforce ones are wool. They’re way too thick to wear in the plane but great for non-CAF stuff.

40% in the outer layer; these are pretty super underwear IMO for govt issue.

I keep 2 pair in my B25, I recycle my “old and used” ones for “misc activities” that could include cutting trees on my property, hunting, ice fishing and other “adventure training” uses.

I usually have the convo on entitlement to 4 of each of light/heavy weight thru the 2 different SOIs as this time of year, there’s usually a new person at the front counter. 🙂

The winter wool shirts.

itchy GIF

I like the new issues CADPAT ranger blanket/poncho liner. Pack that with an issued bivy bag and you’ve got a decent start on cold weather lightweight emerg shelter when you toss a tarp in with it.

Meant to sit in an armoured vehicle, without heat, at well below zero. With the overalls it was too hot to move around in.😉
We had them as a tracked battery. I found the coveralls perfect for siting for hours on end in an OP in a snowbank slinging bricks of HE at distant snowy hills. The jacket wasn't good enough for that but the coveralls and a parka and mukluks did quite well.

🍻

Reactions: ueo
Back