• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Faulty Generators on HMS Charlottetown-Article

Bruce Monkhouse

Pinball Dude
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Reaction score
http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2004/10/28/charlotte041028.html

Faulty generators leave frigate tied up
Last Updated Thu, 28 Oct 2004 22:32:54 EDT
HALIFAX - Faulty electrical generators have forced the frigate HMCS Charlottetown to postpone a lengthy patrol mission, in the latest problem to plague the Canadian navy's fleet.

The frigate was scheduled to travel from Halifax to its namesake city in Prince Edward Island this weekend. From there, the ship was supposed to begin a patrol mission off Canada's East Coast.

Both trips had to be cancelled. Three of the ship's four diesel generators are out of operation, which means the ship is unable to generate enough electricity to reliably run the systems on board.

"These are not the engines for propulsion. These are things for electricity and such," said Lt.-Cmdr. Denise Laviolette, a navy spokesperson.

Laviolette said the fact that the navy sent most of its ships on long deployments to the Persian Gulf has stepped up demands for maintenance.

"Because of Operation Apollo, we are reaching that scheduled maintenance much more quickly than we originally planned. But until a few days ago, Charlottetown was still sailing."

The ship is now tied up in Halifax for repairs that could take until mid-November.

Charlottetown is one of 12 Halifax class multi-role patrol frigates built in shipyards in Saint John, N.B., and Levis, Que., during the 1980s and 1990s.

Resources stretched thin, says navy

Navy officials say heavy demands on Canadian ships during the U.S.-led campaign against terrorism have stretched resources, which affects the maintenance and operation of both surface vessels and submarines.

The announcement about HMCS Charlottetown comes as the navy continues its inquiry into the Oct. 5 fire aboard HMCS Chicoutimi that led to the death of one sailor.

Lieut. Chris Saunders, 32, died of smoke inhalation and eight other crewmen were injured because of an electrical fire that broke out shortly after the submarine left port in Faslane, Scotland, on its first trip to Canada.

HMCS Chicoutimi was one of four mothballed British submarines bought by the Canadian government. There have been cost overruns and mechanical problems with upgrading the subs.

Written by CBC News Online

Yowzer it must be really serious if she's down till mid Nov.

no i dont think so they just have to make the parts or wait till they scrape the old brit museums to find the parts that they are lacking .. lol.. no when you look at it 2 weeks isnt that long when you O. X. parts op immidiate it may still take up to a week to get to the unit and then how long to install and then check  ...

I am REALLY hoping that the public of Canada has noticed over the last couple of years that much of our equipment has been falling apart or failing. Seakings, submarines, ships, troops...

Maybe during the next election they'll do something about it. I think we (the Canadian Armed Forces) need a public support and outcry to show the government they're measly 1% of the budget isn't cutting it damnit!!!

Anyway,
Same old arguement and conversation, just makes me upset is all when I myself keep seeing our boys get the short end of the stick yet AGAIN. Of course every ship needs maintanence and all, but 3 out of 4 generators!?!?! WTF! I suppose we have really been overworking these machines/ships!?

Joe
Always waving my  :cdn: for our cause in my heart!

We've been having this generator problem with all of the frigates since the day we bought them.   I have never sailed on a frigate where all four generators worked.   The problem (I'm told by many engineers) was bad design (with respect to the electrical generating system) and an equally unfortunate choice in generators- not age or a lack of spares.   BTW, it is the worst kept secret in the Navy.   Anyway, it is coming to light in the press only because some parts of the media are trying to take all of the maintenance issues in the Navy and tie them together, connect the dots and end up at HMCS CHICOUTIMI.   The problem is, the dots don't all connect.   Be sceptical about everything you see in the media about our Navy's "maintenance problems" over the next little while- there are some real issues and some issues that aren't a big deal.   The trouble is for a poorly informed public to sort-out which is which.

axeman said:
no i dont think so they just have to make the parts or wait till they scrape the old brit museums to find the parts that they are lacking .. lol.. no when you look at it 2 weeks isnt that long when you O. X. parts op immidiate it may still take up to a week to get to the unit and then how long to install and then check   ...
Hang on is this equipment that old?
Has the Navy gone the way of Civie street?
Call in the shore side reps to do the the repairs?
The Ferries is starting to do the same.

Sorry you two when i made my statement i wasn't using the sarcasm switch . no the equipment isn't that old but as to the time it takes to get parts through the system even from one side if the country and installed can take approx 2 weeks . my apologies again

Ex-Dragoon said:
I had nothing to do with it.....honest.   ;)

Thats what they all say!! Keep your friggin' cocoa mug out of the Ops Room!!

4 gens down 3-4 years away from mid life refit is not a good omen, but it is correctable. At 30yrs of age, the IRE's had their gen's changed out, and there were still a few problems with them. When you think about those gens, they have to be synched when brought on line, and each unit cycles through a few times a day. The problem is they are being overworked past their design specs, but I don't think they are being overloaded past design specs. There is now some really excellent marine generator equipment out there ... more effcient, quieter [db's], more output etc. For the less than $20 million for each ship, they could be replaced during FELEX.  And, you can always use more power ...

Just out of curiousity, is the lack of electricity a factor in the decision not to fit APAR to the CPF's????

Many thanks,

Matthew.  :salute:

Back