• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

F-16 strafes N.J. elementary school

Slim

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
F-16 strafes N.J. elementary school
Nobody injured by pilot's 11 p.m. mistake

The Toronto Star

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1099609815131&call_pageid=968332188492&col=968705899037&DPL=IvsNDS%2f7ChAX&tacodalogin=yes

LITTLE EGG HARBOR, N.J. (AP) â ” A National Guard F-16 fighter jet on a nighttime training mission strafed an elementary school with 25 rounds of ammunition, authorities said today. No one was injured.

The military is investigating the incident that damaged Little Egg Harbor Intermediate School in southern New Jersey shortly after 11 p.m. Wednesday. The school is a few kilometres from a military firing range.

Police were called when a custodian â ” the only person in the school â ” heard what sounded like someone running across the roof.

Police Chief Mark Siino said officers noticed punctures in the roof. Ceiling tiles had fallen into classrooms and there were scratch marks in the asphalt outside.

The pilot of the single-seat jet was supposed to fire at a ground target on the firing range almost six kilometres from the school, said Col. Brian Webster, commander of the 177th Fighter Wing of the New Jersey Air National Guard, which is responsible for the range. He did not know what led to the school getting strafed.

The plane was about 2,100 metres in the air when the shots were fired. The gun, an M61-A1 Vulcan cannon, is located in the plane's left wing. It fires five-centimetre-long bullets that are made of lead and do not explode, said Webster.

"The National Guard takes this situation very seriously," said Lt.-Col. Roberta Niedt, a spokeswoman for the state Department of Military and Veterans Affairs. "The safety of our people and the surrounding communities are our foremost concern."

The jet that fired the rounds was assigned to the 113th Wing of the District of Columbia Air National Guard, based at Andrews Air Force Base in Maryland. The plane returned there after firing the shots, Webster said.

He would not identify the pilot or detail possible disciplinary measures.

Mike Dupuis, president of the township's board of education, said school workers are mindful that the firing range is nearby.

"Being so close to the range, that's always in the back of our minds," Dupuis said. "It is very scary. I have children in that school and relatives that work there."

Schools in New Jersey were closed today because of a teachers convention.

The 970-hectare Warren Grove range, about 50 kilometres north of Atlantic City, has been used by the military since the end of the Second World War, long before the surrounding area was developed.

In 2002, an Air National Guard F-16 that had been practising attacks at the range crashed along the Garden State Parkway. The plane's pilot ejected safely, and no one on the ground was hurt.

Errant practice bombs were blamed for forest fires that burned about 4,500 hectares of the Pine Barrens near the range in 1999 and about 650 hectares in 2002.

wow...what genius decided to put an Elementary school ALMOST 6kms away..thats retarded.

PSSST, Shortbus....
.The 970-hectare Warren Grove range, about 50 kilometres north of Atlantic City, has been used by the military since the end of the Second World War, long before the surrounding area was developed. :-[

How long until the 'support our pilots' sign comes out?

Was Bush on a training flight making up for shirked '60's duty?

' No son, don't take out your forward air controler on the rooftop, that is not the point of the exercise.'

That old biatch Mrs. Wilson make grade 6 hell...take that you old (@%^

Those 6's on the GPS look like 9's when inverted!

I think they got off lucky. The F16 is one of the few US warplanes to carry the 20mm instead of the 30mm...Which would have had a much more pronounced result!

Slim

Another ANG F-16 pilot firing on the wrong target. What is wrong here?

Is ANG flight discipline just generally shoddy? Or do they fail to teach effective target identification procedures?

This is disturbing.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
PSSST, Shortbus....
.The 970-hectare Warren Grove range, about 50 kilometres north of Atlantic City, has been used by the military since the end of the Second World War, long before the surrounding area was developed. :-[

There should definatly be tighter restrictions, ie. Larger limits placed on how close the population can be living to a Range, 6kms is clearly not enough..

Wow, talk about "Out of Arc". More and better training, guys!

What?  Didn't the elementary school have those big jeezus IFF panel markers on the roof ... ?
(I'm being sarcastic, although ... now that I think of it ... the ANG should probably donate some to the school when they pay for the repairs ...)

holy crap, how does a pilot in one of the best fighters on earth miss a target by 6k and then attack a elementary school? I would say that someone put in the target co-ordinates incorrectly..... we are lucky we only lost four in afghanistan, I am surprised they haven't bombed Base Julien yet.

Usually when something like this happens, you hear people say, "Is it going to take someone getting killed before they do something about the shotty trainig in the ANG?"

Well, this happened after the lads in Afghanistan were killed, so I don't know what it will take.

Maybe pbi has a take on the training level of the ANG. I know he has some experience dealing with the US Army Res and has posted his thoughts on them here..

What do you think pbi?

QORvanweert said:
holy crap, how does a pilot in one of the best fighters on earth miss a target by 6k and then attack a elementary school? I would say that someone put in the target co-ordinates incorrectly..... we are lucky we only lost four in afghanistan, I am surprised they haven't bombed Base Julien yet.

Note: I am in no way defending this guy, but to put a little perspective on it.....

An F-16 flies at about 600 knots or 10 miles per min, that's under Mach 1 by the way.  The school was a little over 3 nautical miles away. Do the math..... If this guy pulled the trigger about 18 seconds late, he hits a school instead of his target.

I think it's a little early in the investigation to be placing the blame. There could have been any one of a number of factors that led to this incident.

Cheers

I LAY THE BLAME ON THE GUY THATT PULLS THE TRIGGER . there is no excuse for what he did none cut and dried ....;

A professional fighter pilot shouldn't be pulling the trigger 18 seconds late... I know what you mean though...

Back