• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ex cadets gone military

63 Delta

Inactive
Reaction score
I have a question for any ex-cadets who have joined the army. I am a CWO in cadets so am pretty proficent at drill and other things that are similar between cadets and the army. I planning on joining the army in the next year. My question is how did you deal with the first week or two of basic? Did you act like you did not know what you are doing and blend in with the rest of your platoon?

Thanks in advance

:sniper:

If you‘re proficient in something, that‘s fine.

Just don‘t have an attitude about it.

I‘m an ex-cadet, an I joined the army reserve

I havent gone on my BMQ yet, but in PAT Plt, it felt kinda strange when we were being taught drill, an I was the only new guy that knew how to do it, I didnt act like I didnt know how to do it, but I also didnt act like I knew it all, I still payed attention to the instructers when they were teaching it, an it was a good refresher for me

my instructer already knew I was an ex-cadet, because he knew me as a cadet

also, the drill you were taught in your Cadet unit, might be different then the drill in the Rsv unit you join
just dont come in with an attitude, like you know this already, an dont wanna do it kinda thing

And the worst thing is to come in with the attitude that you still think you‘re a cadet, and above the others.

One person on my basic had that attitude, and paid for it.

What if they know your a cadet, and that your really good at drill, and use you for demonstrating new movements to guys that have been there for a year or so, when you‘ve been there for 1 month. That‘s what happended to me. I really didn‘t feel comfortable doing that but I wasn‘t going to say no when my Cpl asked me to.

To concur with Korus and fusilier above, when I was on course the cadets had a tough time with the other troops, mainly because they, I suppose, wanted to show their stuff. I remember it being relevant for only one week of BMQ and MOC qualification...that was when we learned drill, and saluting. My advice would be to start from scratch and assume you know nothing. What you do know will help you understand the concept, but keep it to yourself. Some of our "cadets" had a rough go at times...bet they wish they never mentioned a thing.

Yea never assume you know more than the others in your section. Just bad teamwork and you‘ll get jacked up for bladding buddy. Other than some limited C-7 training and drill and knowing the ranks the cadets training will only put you ahead for about a week. My advice is blend in and don‘t try to stand out cause the only people who stand out are the scew ups that no one likes.

Back