• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Driver's License

patrick666

Inactive
Reaction score
I am thinking of reapplying in the next month or so to the Engineers most likely and currently only possess my G1. If you do not have your G2 or above will they still train in and let you drive the military vehicles? I should be getting my G2 right after basic, actually. Though, I don't know where I'll be posted - can you get your G2 in another province then where you originally got your G1 or do you have to restart the process from scratch or go back to where you did it, etc.. granted having the time..

Cheers

What's a G1/G2? Is that an Ontario thing? Is it like Class 5 (Alberta/BC) the basic needed to drive a car? Or some graduated thing?

But no, you don't need a civilian drivers licence to operate DND vehicles. The green machine will will train test and qualify whoever they need. Being Federal, they don't have to subscribe to Provincial Licencing requirements. That's also why you don't see DND vehicles with provincial licence plates.

I knew a guy (still serving) that for years had no civ licence. Had nothing on his 404's (DND Driving Permit) but Leopard Tank. All he drove was Bridgelayers, nothing else. Brilliant plan. Couldn't be duty driver or nothing. Got his wife/pals to chauffer him around. Finally broke down and got one when he became a Dad.

Sorry Terry. I don't think there was any secrets about this.  ;D

G1 is part of Ontario's graduated licensing. Similar to the "L" we see in BC vehicles(learners license)

There are two trades for which a fully graduated driver's license is required in order to apply to: MP and Med Tech.

yes thanks... I also only have my G1 class license and will be an engineer soon

Another question..

Can you obtain a full G license through the military or is that a completely civie ?

What vehicle in the engineers would you most likely begin training on... 

Cheerrs

Can you obtain a full G license through the military - No.

Why MP and Med A? You still drive DND vehicles. I don't see the requirement. Anyone?

SprCForr said:
Why MP and Med A? You still drive DND vehicles. I don't see the requirement. Anyone?

Mine is not to reason why but to do and die.

I haven't heard anything regarding a med tech needing a fully graduated licence. You go on a driver wheel course, put your time in on LSVW or CUCV and then you get troop qualified. 404's is all you need for an amb driver.
I dunno bout MP's.

sqn_medic
better check cfp 158(5) transport directive 556. As of Jul 04 a ambulance qualification you must now be qualified 1 year on the vehicle before getting qual on any(LS, Box, Bison etc) ambulance. Basically you must be 18 years old, be CPR and DDC qual, know the provincial regs on the use of emergency lights/sirens and be taken thru the back of the vehicle. Now this is only a few of the pre-requiste that you have to meet before qualifying on ambs. Go see your tpt section for this info

O.K. so there isn't a prerequisite prior to trades training. Just the qualifying requirements by DND for the applicable type of vehicle. Thanks.  :salute:

better check cfp 158(5) transport directive 556. As of Jul 04 a ambulance qualification you must now be qualified 1 year on the vehicle before getting qual on any(LS, Box, Bison etc) ambulance. Basically you must be 18 years old, be CPR and DDC qual, know the provincial regs on the use of emergency lights/sirens and be taken thru the back of the vehicle. Now this is only a few of the pre-requiste that you have to meet before qualifying on ambs. Go see your tpt section for this info

Strange did my drivers course in April 04 and was then qualified in Jul'04 on both LSVW and Crash (CUCV) Amb. Haven't been qualified CPR since Basic.

Maybe it depends who you are working for or what school/courses you are supporting

Each MOS has certain qualifications that they are mandated to have for their particular MOS. Depending on when you were qualified on a certain veh you could  have received the Amb Qualification. As of early Aug 04 the regulations changed to having all the pre-requisites for Ambs. Your Tpt section has to be pro active about checking for new regulations on line. If they do not have a computers they will not know about the new/updated regs. If your Unit Tpt section does not know this, check with the Reg Force Base/Wing MSE Safety that your unit falls under.

Maybe I misunderstood the post that I responded to about having a fully graduated drivers licence but I assumed we were talking about a civilian fully graduated drivers licence. From what I understand you dont need a civilian licence to drive a military amb.

And when I said time in that's what I meant a year or whatever it took to get troop qualified.

The requirement still stands and it was passed to CFRG from the branch.  Anyone who wants to be a Reg F Med Tech must have a high school diploma with Gr 12 Biology and Chemistry and they must have a current driver's license.  Recruiting does not make this stuff up but we make sure the applicant fully meets the requirements before they are processed.  Now some of you have heard this and that but the fact remains that the requirements exist.

Back