• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Denial of Access to MIR By Unit

wonknu

Inactive
Reaction score
I don't know if this is in the correct forum or not (mods feel free to move it if necessary)

Recently my unit has begun a policy whereby IOT go to the base hospital (MIR) we need to tell them the specific reason why we are going and if (in some cases depending on the duty missed) we don't come back with a physical limitation chit and we only have the "time stamp" chit, we receive administrative sanctions.  Building upon that, if your boss doesn't agree with the reason he/she has the ability to refuse your request to go to the MIR.

Furthermore, I have spoken with people who have had concerns regarding personal medical matters being forced to be revealed to their bosses IOT get treatment for them.

I have researched the privacy act (IRT giving up medical info to employers and such) and have tried looking up the QR&Os for CF medical services, however, I was told that no violations were being made in the former and I was unable to find anything useful in the latter.  Does anyone know of any information regarding this?

Am I taking things too seriously or is this an issue?

Sounds like you are in a unit/base/installation/ship that has a high number of MIR Commandos and this may be an administrative step taken to reduce those numbers.

George Wallace said:
Sounds like you are in a unit/base/installation/ship that has a high number of MIR Commandos and this may be an administrative step taken to reduce those numbers.

I would be lying if I said we had NO MIR commandos, however, from my experience (and my POV in regards to the overall CoC) I don't believe we have a huge problem with them.  Even if we did though, is it ethical/legal to make everyone adhere to this policy? 

Do I have a real case here or is this something I am blowing out of proportion? I am relatively new to the CAF and I am not quite sure. (in my second year right now).

wonknu said:
I don't know if this is in the correct forum or not (mods feel free to move it if necessary)

Recently my unit has begun a policy whereby IOT go to the base hospital (MIR) we need to tell them the specific reason why we are going and if (in some cases depending on the duty missed) we don't come back with a physical limitation chit and we only have the "time stamp" chit, we receive administrative sanctions.  Building upon that, if your boss doesn't agree with the reason he/she has the ability to refuse your request to go to the MIR.

Furthermore, I have spoken with people who have had concerns regarding personal medical matters being forced to be revealed to their bosses IOT get treatment for them.

I have researched the privacy act (IRT giving up medical info to employers and such) and have tried looking up the QR&Os for CF medical services, however, I was told that no violations were being made in the former and I was unable to find anything useful in the latter.  Does anyone know of any information regarding this?

It is an issue, it's abuse of authority in my opinion, and a dangerous one at that. The CoC is not entitled to know why you went to the MIR or what the diagnosis is or anything like that*. All they need to know is that you went to the MIR at "x" time, left at "x" time, and if you have any MELs. Coming back with just a time chit doesn't mean you didn't have a legit reason for going. Hell, you could have eczema and have to get your prescription updated or something, you're not going to get MELs for it but that eczema sure ain't gonna cure itself. Someone could potentially go see someone about a mental health issue and get any MELs. So what is this CoC going to do? Put them on IC for coming back without MELs? Yes, that's exactly what we need going in the CAF right now /sarcasm.

*If you have a good CoC, keeping them in the loop on what's going on is a good idea, but they are not *entitled* to know.

ballz said:
It is an issue, it's abuse of authority in my opinion, and a dangerous one at that. The CoC is not entitled to know why you went to the MIR or what the diagnosis is or anything like that*. All they need to know is that you went to the MIR at "x" time, left at "x" time, and if you have any MELs. Coming back with just a time chit doesn't mean you didn't have a legit reason for going. Hell, you could have eczema and have to get your prescription updated or something, you're not going to get MELs for it but that eczema sure ain't gonna cure itself. Someone could potentially go see someone about a mental health issue and get any MELs. So what is this CoC going to do? Put them on IC for coming back without MELs? Yes, that's exactly what we need going in the CAF right now /sarcasm.

*If you have a good CoC, keeping them in the loop on what's going on is a good idea, but they are not *entitled* to know.

I have spoken with my boss regarding this issue (brought up the privacy issue) and was told it came from "higher" (Company Comd level. i.e. a Maj) and I was essentially told to just follow the policy.

I am still scouring the QR&Os at this moment, however, if anyone else has any ideas of where I can find documents pertaining to this I would really appreciate it.

I agree with ballz; and as he says, it is always a good idea/best to keep your CoC informed, but one point to remember is the confidentiality that you have between you and your doctor(s).

ballz said:

You have 2 options. If the CoC has initiated this policy your grievance may be against the CO so that's a bit of a pickle. The other more intelligent here can tell you who you would address it too. The other option is ask to talk the the chief surgeon. I'd also keep all your documents and make copies of everything you send up the chain.

I know for a fact you don't have to tell anyone why your going to the MIR. THe correct COA for the CoC if they feel there is abuse is to bring their concerns to the CoC within the MIR.

wonknu said:

What unit is this?

Sheep Dog AT said:
You have 2 options. If the CoC has initiated this policy your grievance may be against the CO so that's a bit of a pickle. The other more intelligent here can tell you who you would address it too. The other option is ask to talk the the chief surgeon. I'd also keep all your documents and make copies of everything you send up the chain.

I know for a fact you don't have to tell anyone why your going to the MIR. THe correct COA for the CoC if they feel there is abuse is to bring their concerns to the CoC within the MIR.

Thanks for the insight.  It is a directive issued by my OC (a Maj), or so I've been told, and not the entire unit

(sorry for the obscurity by the way.  Just trying to maintain PersSec and my own confidentiality)

RoyalDrew said:
What unit is this?

I would rather not say in an open forum (maintaining my own persec and confidentiality), however, it is in the CFB Kingston area.

wonknu said:
Thanks for the insight.  It is a directive issued by my OC (a Maj), or so I've been told, and not the entire unit

(sorry for the obscurity by the way.  Just trying to maintain PersSec and my own confidentiality)

Then the Major needs to be jacked up. Full stop.

wonknu said:

First question; at what level is this 'unit policy' being imposed?  CO?  Is it in Routine/Standing Orders?  No?  Perhaps the CO isn't aware of it, and didn't authorize it.

As you wrote it here, IMO it's an issue.

Thanks to everyone for their help.  I am going to be researching this more in the morning.  My view of the overall CoC is rather limited (given I am a new Pte) and therefore I might just be missing the big picture.  Like I said before, if anyone has any info pertaining to this I would very much appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

Thanks to everyone.

wonknu said:

Cant believe what kind of supervisor would pass on this kinda of garbage. Not much of a leader if you dont stand up for the welfare of your own troops.

And how can anyone possibly imagine they can enforce this. If you attempt to apply administrative action its going to get grieved. If you charge someone with disobeying the order what JAG is going to action it under the circumstances?

HULK_011 said:
If you attempt to apply administrative action its going to get grieved.

I'd like to think any AdminO would advise the CofC 'this is a baddddddd idea', if trying to go for RMs, as an example.

If you charge someone with disobeying the order what JAG is going to action it under the circumstances?

I'd like to think it wouldn't even make it to, or past, the DI stage.

The AJAG will either laugh til their stomach hurts......or call the unit up and ask "WTF are you smoking over there? Or are you chronically stupid?"

:facepalm:

wonknu said:
  Building upon that, if your boss doesn't agree with the reason he/she has the ability to refuse your request to go to the MIR.

Can you build upon this part? When you say refuse your request are you talking exclusively about the right to go to Sick parade for medical treatment? Or are you talking about in the middle of the day you suddenly realize you need to book your 4th dental cleaning in 3 months? I feel there is a difference between those scenarios.

wonknu said:
I would rather not say in an open forum (maintaining my own persec and confidentiality), however, it is in the CFB Kingston area.

If you don't tell anyone who/where you are from, we can't help you/investigate.  Aimlessly Screwing around the troops is something that really ticks me off FYI.

Back