• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Commander of 8 Wing Trenton arrested, charged in hunting incident

With Bill C-68. From the Storage Display and Transport Regulations:

"Storage of Non-Restricted Firearms
  • 5(1) An individual may store a non-restricted firearm only if
    • (a) it is unloaded;
    • (b) it is
      • (i) rendered inoperable by means of a secure locking device,
      • (ii) rendered inoperable by the removal of the bolt or bolt-carrier, or
      • (iii) stored in a container, receptacle or room that is kept securely locked and that is constructed so that it cannot readily be broken open or into; and
    • (c) it is not readily accessible to ammunition, unless the ammunition is stored, together with or separately from the firearm, in a container or receptacle that is kept securely locked and that is constructed so that it cannot readily be broken open or into."
Sounds like I could bury a crate of SKS rifles in my yard as long as the triggers are locked and container

Sounds like I could bury a crate of SKS rifles in my yard as long as the triggers are locked and container
I remember reading a case like that. I'd have to look it up again, But, IIRC the accused had buried firearms in his yard, properly "rendered inoperable" and in a container. He was found guilty because the container, while buried, was not lockable.

I'll see if I can find it.

The Liberal "centralized storage" proposals from a few years ago were built around the premise that any exigent need to dispatch nuisance wildlife would be the responsibility of local police or conservation officers only. How many chickens can one coyote eat given the rural response times to an emergency by police are measured in half hour increments? In most provinces CO's are spread ridiculously thinner than police.
And if they had bothered to research or simply ask, just about anybody, they would been unanimously disabused of that premise.

I remember reading a case like that. I'd have to look it up again, But, IIRC the accused had buried firearms in his yard, properly "rendered inoperable" and in a container. He was found guilty because the container, while buried, was not lockable.

Once upon a time the local gas station in Pembroke was selling crates of 10x SKS rifles at $179 a rifle.

I knew that guy.

Hard as Christmas Candy…
He and I had a great get together back in Air Force land after he kicked doors. His slider qual was still valid, and I still had ropes…and the LZ was sooooo close to the O Mess patio…what’s a guy to do? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Had he modified the crate to be lockable he would have won. If you use a closet to store your firearms, beef up the lock and hinges, a solid door if you can. Also put a rack of some sort to hold your firearms and you have a room modified to store NR firearms.

Which was $169 more than that where worth ;)

One of my biggest firearms regrets is selling my mint Russian SKS, 500 rounds of ammo and a Chinese chest rig to a guy for 500$ about 6 years ago.

Agreed it's not the world's finest made rifle, but it's sturdy and it works.

Back