• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Coddling children goes too far.

<Full blown rant mode>

The worse you can think of the school system in Canada, the more likely you are to be correct.  Another example of Pournelle's Iron Law at work.

As the husband of a working teacher, I get to hear everything that goes on at work, and what their politically correct overlords in the School Board are trying to do to the education system.  It is appalling.  I don't know how she can continue doing what she does, unless she's fighting a rearguard action in the hopes of saving something of Western civilization.

No failures.  It would be bad for self-esteem.  If a child is failing, they explain to the parents that they are "at risk".  At risk of what?  It's not like they're going to fail them.  Teachers are not allowed to assign failing marks, and are locked out of the pass/fail tick box in the report card software by their administration.

Standardized testing.  Sounds great, until you realize that entire schools ensure that their school will get a "good evaluation" by coaching their students to the right answers, in defiance of the established test procedures.

No personalized report cards...no "Johnny was a pleasure to teach".  Four standardized comments, all with the student's name substituted in.  Wow.  A form letter.  Makes every student feel good about themselves, I'm sure.

At a recent Professional Development course, paid for by our tax dollars (from the bureaucrats to a "professional" who hasn't taught a real class in 20 years), they discussed abolishing testing entirely, as it would make the children nervous, and in the long run, wouldn't teach them.  "So?  They failed a test.  Unless they go back and learn the questions they got wrong, it doesn't teach them anything".  In a sense, they're right.  Failing a test in the *modern* school system doesn't teach them anything, as they do not make the students learn that every failure has consequences.  Eliminate failure, you eliminate learning.

And if you try to play it straight?

Well, if the teacher makes Johnny feel bad, because he has no self discipline, no discipline at home, and doesn't give a rat's a** about you or your so-called authority, then administration leaps in to do what is necessary.  That's right, they mollify the parents, tell the teacher to "take it easy", and blame the teacher for not teaching someone who won't pay attention, doesn't see the need to listen, and who suffers no consequences for their total lack of interest.  After all, the parents are implying discrimination, or personality conflicts...and if you don't give them what they want, then they'll escalate to the Trustees, already in lockstep with the school boards' policy of "No Child Left Behind".

Fast forward to the Young Offenders Act.  No consequences, no learning.  "You're under 18 you won't be doing any time....hey, hey!  Come out and play!"  "Well, they don't know any better".  Of course they don't.  They've never been given an opportunity to learn anything!  They've been entirely sheltered and babied their whole lives.  Why would they change their anti-social, range-of-the-moment behaviour now, when all they need to do is scream and somebody will come along to make them feel better about themselves?

O tempora!  O mores!

</full blown rant mode>

It's funny, but my wife talks of her day in the way that women do to decompress and in order to be heard.  I hear her, and in the way men do, want to come up with a solution....Except I find it hard to see one that doesn't involve big fires and swords.

You're right Gunnar, and it's sickening.  As a parent, I don't agree with the NCLB policy one teeny little bit.  In fact my 12 y/o told me last night that he "can't fail until he gets to high school".  So they force these students through to high school with no skills, lacking basic knowledge and then what?  I doubt any high school is going to keep failing their students until they pass.  I'm of the mind that if you don't do the work, and you aren't passing any tests you should fail the course.  Would I nitpick over a one point failure?  Maybe, but I've always tried to instill a sense of pride in one's accomplishments, and if you fail at something you keep trying til you get it right.  These kids are in for a RUDE awakening when they hit the real world. 

There's got to be a point where SOMEONE is accountable!  I don't understand it, where did it all start going so wrong???

Gunner, I have friends who are teachers and have had them in tears on my doorstep because they are so hamstrung by rules, regulations, and Boards
of Education.

Not only can they not discipline and do proper evaluations they get raked across the coals if they deviate from the respective B of Ed's curriculum.

Thus a child showing an aptitude for an area that is beyond the scope of the prescribed, respective B. of Ed.s curriculum can't be directed further by the teacher.

There are problems with education but it's certainly not the teachers fault. No wonder so many of them are leaving Canada to teach in distant parts of the world.

What the heck happened to the concept of "education" and "learning?" Theres neither if everyone gets a pat on the butt for not performing and then not failing because it will "hurt their feelings." Load of horse crap.

Reality is cruel. When you float through the system that prepares you for it without learning about failure, it will hit you like a cement truck when it happens.

What was that saying again? "The road to hell is paved with good intentions"  ::)

rmc_wannabe said:
"The road to hell is paved with good intentions" 

And never were truer words spoken.  My sister proof-read an essay one of her boys wrote (on the computer) and knocked him for various spelling errors.  His answer was that the teacher didn't mark spelling, only content.  Her reply was that if he didn't care about presentation then why did he bother using a computer that has spell check?  And if he was expecting to use the computer for school work or play again, then he better start using ALL the tools that were made available through it.  Very promptly started using spell check.

I tried to get my daughter pushed up a grade this past year.  She gets straight As and has no efforts at school.  Do you think they entertained my request?  No.  They stated that they don't "do that anymore".  I wonder why?  Is it because one kid skipping (well earned) might make the others feel bad about themselves?

We suggested to the school to at least provide her with more challenges.  Appearently they don't have time to do that it seems because another report card has come home filled to the brim with As.  As rmc wannabe wrote, she has never experienced failure or struggle and will hit hard when she gets to high school or even college without having experienced it. The theory my wife and I have is that is she gets bored at school, what will she find to keep herself busy?  Drugs, alcohol, sex, crime?  I certainly hope not but it's a little disappointing to think that it affects both types of students when they turn too politically correct.

Meh.

Bzzliteyr said:
I tried to get my daughter pushed up a grade this past year.  She gets straight As and has no efforts at school.  Do you think they entertained my request?  No.  They stated that they don't "do that anymore".  I wonder why?  Is it because one kid skipping (well earned) might make the others feel bad about themselves?

We suggested to the school to at least provide her with more challenges.  Apparently they don't have time to do that it seems because another report card has come home filled to the brim with As.  As rmc wannabe wrote, she has never experienced failure or struggle and will hit hard when she gets to high school or even college without having experienced it. The theory my wife and I have is that is she gets bored at school, what will she find to keep herself busy?  Drugs, alcohol, sex, crime?  I certainly hope not but it's a little disappointing to think that it affects both types of students when they turn too politically correct.

Meh.

Welcome to big box book learning by the board of fudgucation. Individuality is long dead when it comes to teaching kids these days. Sure special needs children are getting much better education these days, but those who have an affinity for learning are now being held back by the system and it's one for all-all for one streamlined straight and norrow by the book approach. The system is clearly not getting better when it comes to teaching, teachers used to be parent like and actually "taught" instead of ask the kids to open their book and get to work. The PC and HRC's have damn near put "teaching" out of business as it stands for fear of impending lawsuits due to spanking a kid or actually "teaching" them right from wrong let alone anything usefull such as reading, writing and arithmetic.

This country is spiralling backwards through our attempts at progress and it's not getting any better any time soon. Too  many experts who feel that THEY personally know what IS acceptable for everyone in the education system is unacceptable and should be corrected with a vehement round of pink slip handouts and decommissioned commissions.

Cheers

One of the worst outcomes of children who have it easy in the lower grades and are not challenged is that they never learn to study.  I sailed through elementary, began having difficulties in junior high and struggled in high school.  Granted, I didn't try as hard as I should have in high school.  Do I blame the system?  Somewhat, but in the overcrowded classrooms and with the "special needs" students (and I don't mean the physically/mentally disabled ones), today's teacher has become part parent, part babysitter and part warden.  There are some who are still able to provide the quick(er) learners with extra challenges to keep them busy, but I'm afraid they're (more than likely) getting fewer and farther between.

Bzzliteyr, pick up some age appropriate educational supplies for your daughter.  Maybe have a discussion with the teacher to see if she's allowed to do extra things during class time if she finishes her work early. It might help.

I remember in Grade 11 English, we read The Chrysalids by John Wyndham.  I got so into the book that I read it in the first week.  The teacher gave me all the chapter questions to do on my own and for about two months my English class became an extra period for me, where I was able to work on other school projects or homework, instead of sitting there being bored.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiocracy_(film)

I saw this movie last night and it echoed a lot of what i see in mainstream society, especially in today's education system.  ;D

PMedMoe said:
I remember in Grade 11 English, we read The Chrysalids by John Wyndham.  I got so into the book that I read it in the first week.  The teacher gave me all the chapter questions to do on my own and for about two months my English class became an extra period for me, where I was able to work on other school projects or homework, instead of sitting there being bored.

I still read that book today on occasion - one of the few I read in high school that stuck with me and I actually enjoyed.

MM

medicineman said:
I still read that book today on occasion - one of the few I read in high school that stuck with me and I actually enjoyed.

Me too.  It's in my "library" at home.

PMedMoe said:
Me too. 

Me three. Loved that book.

One of my professors here at CMR told us that his goal "is to teach us how to read and write properly".  We were confused at first, but we learned very quickly what he meant after he gave us back our first synthesis.

I am going through the same issues with my son now. He is getting bored in kindergarten already.  We received his first report card the other day and my hubby and I were pleasantly amazed. The teacher wrote personal comments, which I did not think they did anymore. In school work he has already met the levels they expect  the children to meet by the end of March.Woo hoo I thought. Wrong. He is now getting bored in class he says because the work is to easy. So that explains comments further on down the report where it says he gets easily distracted and rushes through his work which results in his work being messy. So I think OK, I can work on helping him learn to take his time and to take pride in his work being neat and well done, not just rushing and getting the work down, even though he thinks it is too easy. But I am going to have to provide him with extra work at home as it is, because I don't think the teacher is going to have time to give him extra language/reading and math activities to do because he finds the kindergarten work too easy. And here I thought him starting kindergarten a year early because of when his birthday is. was not such a good idea. I thought he would have trouble keeping up with the older kids. The only thing he is having issues with is rushing his work, getting antsy when he is done his work, and his fine motor skills (holding a pencil and scissors properly). Which his Dr says is because he is still only 4 and that there is a big difference between 4 and 5. So an above average learning ability early on and bored easily already because the work is too easy. I am thinking the later grades are going to be a nightmare if he is bored already.

Back