• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Closer Bases Infantry 031. Reg. Forces

JustinIverson

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey guys, My question is that I'm only 18 years old and just waiting for the phone call now to goto St.Jean for basic training and I'm curious if after all my training is down is Petawawa the only place that is the closest i could be posted because I'm in Windsor,Ont and I'd like to be a little closer if its possible then a 9 hour car ride. Thank you.

That all depends what Regiment you are going to go into after Basic. Are you going RCR, PPCLI or R22R? If you are going RCR, then yes Pet and/or Gagetown would be your stomping ground. If you are going PPCLI then it would be Shilo and/or Edmonton and R22R is in Valcartier. Hope this helps some.

Hey Justin, join the PPCLI like I am :)

Then I could see ya over here in Shilo - may even end up on course together who knows? And if you get on course before me, I could always yell encouragements from my bedroom window (the Patricias and Arty guys march on the trail behind my house damn near morning). Though, the yelling may not be a good idea because eventually they'd see the little head poking up from the windowsill..

Ah well.. You know come to mention it I can't remember if you told me what regiment you were going with. The PPCLI are really great guys though, I'll tell you that much. I'm almost always around them and I definately can't complain, for a guy not (yet) wearing their colours they treat me pretty well. Plus they make life in Shilo a hell of a lot more interesting, that's for sure. Don't wanna pressure you but .. if you're on the fence about the issue, hop on over here!

For your reg. force 031 training you could end up in Meaford, Ont. unless things have changed recently. About 4 hrs. from Windsor. After training Petawawa would likely be your closest posting. Moving further from home may not sound good now but you should find its not that bad. To make a career in the forces you can expect to be moved around some.

Best Wishes

Yea did plan on going RCR only reason being that i would actually be able to drive the 9 hours home every once and awhile then if im relly home sick which i shouldn't be i could apply for a posting closer to part time or whatever doesn't really have much of a bother on me right now.. I'm still just waiting for the phone call but not bad from just handing in my application on September 22cd.  thnx agian

After basic you'll be in Meaford.  I'm here right now, just waiting for my BIQ to start.  Actually, Meafords going through some changes.  By about 2006 likely all non-infantry types except for whats necessary will no longer be working on this base.  IE, no more EME, or quite possibly Field Engineers, no more Aritillery and no more Armoured.  At least, thats what my staff was saying anyways.  In any case, you'll be living in the shaks here, and there are periods of CB during both your SQ and BIQ.  Not to mention if your platoon Farks up you'll have weekend passes cancelled, guaranteed.

Oh and a bit of advice, don't break the Key to civy lock up.  Sentry duty in the dorms sucks on your weekend off. 

After BIQ, you'll be off to battalion, depending on whether they put you on your drivers course here or in Pet.  Also, if you end up going 2RCR you'll be in Gagetown, so your future is still very much up to chance, I don't even know where I'll end up yet, so...

Back