• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Chinese Military,Political and Social Superthread

Sam Cooper:

Forwarded this email? Subscribe here for more

Breaking: CSIS Director changed report on PRC interference in MP Han Dong's riding after discussion with PM Trudeau's advisor

Foreign Interference Commission hears 2019 CSIS assessment that a "politically-connected Canadian" impacted the fed election was "recalled"​

APR 4
After the 2019 federal election CSIS director David Vigneault decided to “recall” a controversial intelligence assessment saying a “politically-connected Canadian” had impacted Canada’s 2019 vote in Liberal MP Han Dong’s Toronto riding, Ottawa’s Foreign Interference Commission heard Thursday.
Explosive documents tabled while Vigneault was examined on his decision said the October 2019 CSIS assessment regarding suspected PRC interference in Dong’s campaign was shared with senior government officials including Trudeau’s then National Security Advisor.
“An internal CSIS email sent shortly after the assessment was published says that [Vigneault] asked for the assessment to be recalled further to a discussion with the NSIA [National Security Intelligence Advisor],” the documents say.
The Commission also heard that CSIS management only shared the Han Dong alert with Ottawa’s so-called “SITE” election threat task force on October 29th, after the 2019 election.
“The chair of SITE TF told CSIS that he believed that the information should have been shared with [SITE] sooner, and in particular before the election, given its significance,” Commission documents say.
This is the first time the Commission has heard that Vigneault agreed to redraft a portion of the intelligence regarding Han Dong, Trudeau’s 2019 candidate in Don Valley North.
Subsequent CSIS intelligence found irregularities including high school students from Mainland China recruited by Han Dong’s campaign and bussed in to support his nomination in 2019, the Commission heard this week.
That intelligence said “the students were provided with falsified documents to allow them to vote, despite not being residents of Don Valley North [and] the documents were provided by individuals associated with a known proxy agent.”
It added that “intelligence reported after the election indicated that veiled threats were issued by the PRC Consulate to the Chinese international students, implying their student visas would be in jeopardy and that there could be consequences for their families back in the PRC if they did not support Han Dong.”
“I have never been asked to censor intelligence,” Vigneault said Thursday to a Commission lawyer, on his decision to alter CSIS’s October 2019 assessment on Han Dong’s campaign. “It was not nefarious or because there was a sensitive issue at play.”
Documents said that in a previous interview Vigneault told the Commission he “had no recollection of why the document was recalled [in October 2019].”
Documents tabled Thursday don’t make clear who is referred to in CSIS’s October 2019 report besides MP Han Dong.
The Inquiry heard CSIS’s report originally alleged a “politically-connected Canadian” had certainly impacted the 2019 election.
But Vigneault and Cherie Henderson, an assistant CSIS director, decided to soften that assessment.
“We felt it was a leap too far,” Henderson told the Commission.
A statement attributed to her previous interview with the Commission said she felt “the report’s wording over-stated the impact of the actor’s activities … their actions had not compromised the integrity of the 2019 election.”
Documents tabled Thursday said CSIS’s original report on MP Han Dong provided for Trudeau’s national security advisor in October 2019 had: “Identified potential Foreign Interference by a politically-connected Canadian. That person had not previously been identified as acting on behalf of a foreign state, but appeared to have been doing so in the period leading up to the 2019 election. The report initially assessed it likely that the actor ‘has already had an impact on the 2019 federal election, and will remain a foreign interference threat after the election.’”
The Commission has heard Beijing’s United Front Work Department and community proxies in Toronto and Vancouver are responsible for attacking federal candidates in Canada deemed “anti-China” by Beijing and supporting candidates favoured by the Chinese Communist Party.
Another CSIS document tabled Thursday said “The United Front Work Department attempts to control and influence the PRC diaspora living in other countries … and influence politicians to support the Chinese government’s policies. It has a budget in the billions for its global operations.”

FYI.

It seems the PM was less than statesman like in his response to O’Toole’s testimony. Even dipping into disinformation. I wish I could say I was shocked, but I’m not. It’s what I’ve come to expect from this clown.

It seems the PM was less than statesman like in his response to O’Toole’s testimony. Even dipping into disinformation. I wish I could say I was shocked, but I’m not. It’s what I’ve come to expect from this clown.

A real d!ck move.

Judgement day is coming.....

So now we learn that while senior bureaucrats contacted Facebook to remove disinformation targeting PMJT, they knew about disinformation on WeChat targeting Erin O’Toole and the CPC but did nothing. Apparently, if it’s disinformation being spread on Mandarin language social media, it doesn’t warrant the government’s attention.

Federal officials asked Facebook to take down false allegations about Trudeau in 2019 campaign, inquiry hears​

ROBERT FIFE OTTAWA BUREAU CHIEF
STEVEN CHASE SENIOR PARLIAMENTARY REPORTER
OTTAWA
PUBLISHED YESTERDAY

The country’s top civil servant directed bureaucrats to ask Facebook to remove a “false and inflammatory” story about Prime Minister Justin Trudeau during the 2019 election campaign, but did not make a similar request of WeChat, which spread false information about Conservative Leader Erin O’Toole and MP Kenny Chiu in the 2021 election, the public inquiry into foreign interference heard Friday.
Privy Council Office staffer Allen Sutherland told inquiry lawyers in an in-camera interview that the government agency was worried the false story about Mr. Trudeau could go viral and “risked threatening the integrity of the election.” Mr. Sutherland said, however, false allegations about Conservatives circulating on Chinese-language social-media platform WeChat was viewed differently because it was directed at the Chinese community and not the wider electorate.
A written summary of the interview tabled at the Foreign Interference Commission on Friday showed officials overseeing election integrity were alarmed about an article in the Buffalo Chronicle, a website that runs fake stories. It made false allegations in the 2019 election about an affair Mr. Trudeau supposedly had at a private high school where he was teaching in 2000.

Mr. Sutherland helped set up a special election oversight task force composed of senior civil servants known as the Security and Intelligence Threats to Elections Task Force, or SITE. He said Facebook brought the article to his attention.
“The content might have gained significant attention were it amplified, and therefore risked threatening the integrity of the election. At the direction of then Clerk of the Privy Council Ian Shugart, Mr. Sutherland asked Facebook to remove the article,” the summary said. “Facebook complied.”

The summary also dealt with questions put to Mr. Sutherland about allegations circulating on WeChat about Mr. O’Toole and Mr. Chiu during the 2021 election. Articles flagged by the federal election monitoring task force included ones that shared the narrative that Mr. O’Toole “almost wants to break diplomatic relations” with China, as well as Chinese media commentary stating that “Chinese Canadians are scared of the Conservative platform.”
WeChat was not asked to remove the inflammatory allegations against the two Conservatives, Mr. Sutherland said in the interview. The WeChat situation was deemed different than the Buffalo Chronicle article in part because it “it was written in Mandarin [which] meant that the content would only reach the Chinese diaspora.”

“In addition, the Buffalo Chronicle article presented false and inflammatory information directly targeting the Prime Minister’s character, whereas the WeChat postings discussed substantive policy issues, albeit also in an inflammatory manner,” the summary stated.
In testimony at the inquiry Friday, Mr. Sutherland was asked to explain why Mr. Trudeau was treated differently than his Conservative opponents and whether there was less concern about false information affecting ridings where a large number of Chinese-Canadians resided.
The article about Mr. Trudeau was “highly inflammatory and was seen that it might go viral and become a national event,” Mr. Sutherland explained. “I was simply observing that in the case of WeChat, the ability to go viral on a national scale is different.”
“I do not want to leave you with the impression that it was treated with any less seriousness. I am only observing that they had different qualities.”

Mr. O’Toole responded to Mr. Sutherland’s testimony on Friday, saying that WeChat had more than one million users in Canada, far greater than the number of people who would have engaged with the Buffalo Chronicle.
The suggestions that Chinese-language WeChat should be less of a concern for disinformation should be “very concerning,” he said on the social-media site X. “The reality is the opposite. Tens of thousands of Canadians rely on platforms like this because of the language and sense of community created by these channels.”

Gallit Dobner, a member of the elections task force for the 2021 election, told the inquiry there was no hard evidence to determine if the attacks on the Conservatives was at the behest of the Chinese Communist Party because the “online space” in China is “extremely difficult” to get access.
Ms. Dobner said Ottawa doesn’t have a relationship with Tencent, which owns WeChat, like it does with Facebook. “So if we were seeing something strange on the [WeChat] platform, we wouldn’t be able to appeal to them for assistance to find out if there were any foreign state sponsored disinformation.”

Nonetheless Lyall King, the elections task force chair during both the 2019 and 2021 elections, testified that the panel concluded that Mr. O’Toole and Mr. Chiu were targets of online disinformation activities “with an attempt we believe to influence the Canadian-Chinese community” in the last election campaign.
The inquiry heard testimony this week that the elections task force did not share intelligence with Mr. O’Toole’s party outlining Beijing-directed efforts to spread disinformation against the Conservatives over the party’s hawkish campaign platform against China.
Mr. O’Toole told the inquiry his party was targeted by a deluge of disinformation orchestrated by China and its proxies that led to the defeat of as many as nine candidates in the 2021 election. However, he stressed that he does not believe Chinese interference changed the outcome of the vote, which produced a Liberal minority government.
But he said voters in certain ridings were affected by this meddling and that government officials in charge of election integrity knew about it but never issued a warning to the public or the political parties.
Earlier in the week, representatives from the Liberal, Conservative and New Democratic parties, who received national-security clearances to be briefed on foreign interference, said the briefings from the elections task force were very general in nature and not particularly useful.

Mr. King, the task force’s chair, said the sharing of intelligence was a new process and everyone was trying to figure out what secret information should be shared.
“There is a lot more awareness now of what foreign interference is,” he told the inquiry Friday. “What we would have deemed secret back in 2019 in fact would be much more common knowledge and out in the open now.”
He pushed back against testimony against the narrative that civil servants failed to share explicit intelligence about Chinese state interference before or during the 2021 campaign.
“What we would have stated,” Mr. King told the inquiry, both before and during the campaign is “China for us was the most significant threat.”

Some more bombshells dropped and senior public servants squirming at the public inquiry.

Also former CSIS director Dick Fadden (whom Parliament censured for daring to report that many politicians were in the thrall of CCP influence operations) and one half of the Globe and Mail’s tag team duo, Stephen Chase on Global’s The West Block. Fadden basically comes right out and says the Johnston report was garbage compared with what we learned last week.

Oh, he knows the truth. It's just incapable of passing his lips.
Well ofcourse, why would he?

I find his response from Day One of this scandal akin to my 6 year old saying "what cookies?" With a mouthful of crumbs and an empty cookie jar.

He has committed to obfuscate, rather than be accountable, on almost every scandal he's been tarnished with since taking office.

I was hoping since this is probably his last waltz, he'd at least come clean about something so damaging to our democracy. I continue to be disappointed.

Crafted answers. Just like criminals rehearsing their testimony.
Does anyone in their right mind think Trudeau will speak the truth today.

'Missed opportunities' from PMO staffers: Ex-ambassador to China | Power Play with Vassy Kapelos

The gall on this man... now he can add "National Security Intelligence Expert" to the list of people he knows better than. This should be absolutely infuriating for anyone who works in Defence, Security, or Intelligence in Canada.

National Post - Trudeau doubted intelligence officials' ability to spot interference in Liberal nomination contest: testimony
Well I just watched two former heads of CSIS on TV comment on that and they both didn’t see an issue with this. They went so far that it was normal and expected for anyone and especially politicians to challenge and question what they are briefed on. The issue they said, was if it was a regular thing that happens over and over again.

I didn’t bother posting yesterday’s G&M story on yesterday’s story because it was basically political staffers in the PMO saying “The intelligence is wrong because we said so”. I wanted to throw my phone at the wall. People were named and jailed in the US for less.

Back