• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Changes to the training plan for LOG O

NFLD Sapper said:
Sounds like some units are slacking off in the ELOC standards

Most ROTP and UTPNCM students don't belong to unit therefore have little to no chance to keep up on weapons skills.  This is especially hard for newer people that don't have the years of muscle memory to keep what is a very perishable skill.

MJP said:
Most ROTP and UTPNCM students don't belong to unit therefore have little to no chance to keep up on weapons skills.  This is especially hard for newer people that don't have the years of muscle memory to keep what is a very perishable skill.

Fair enough.

MJP said:

Bingo. I should have specified that earlier. My question was more oriented towards people like me who are going on LOC-L right out of school, or after only a few months at a unit doing odd jobs, assistant-(insert title here) officer jobs etc.

ArmyVern said:
What I can tell you is this, that no matter what Log O course you are coming here for, once the new program is launched --- you can be guaranteed that what you are being taught is current, effective, and incorporates lessons learned from our current area of operations. The new courses are applicable with today's reality on the battlefield (vice the peacekeeping/RV/NATO in Germany doctrine of past courses) - they are incorporative of unconventional warfare vice the linear emphasis of courses that should have been long since past.

With that all being said ... I can say this "have fun in the field!!" and "know your IAs" because you'd best know your battle procedure (all 16 steps of it! ;)) inside out, and what the hell to do when someone says into the radio "CONTACT - WAIT OUT - ...." whether you be tasked as the convoy comd or the CP operator.

I've worked with the United States Marine Corps and their Logisitics Officers (I was plugged into a formation-level S4) were all fit, qualified to command a platoon - ie: versed in basic platoon level tactics in all phases of war - were conversant in combat ops, and were generally pretty switched on guys (and 1 gal).  Most Marine logistics officers and soldiers could, physically, fit into a Canadian Infantry unit.

I liked them - they were a pleasant change from the more "pudgy" branch I am used to.  I can see a very real effort to "sharpen" the branch - which is awesome - but how much consideration given to "hardening" it?  Was it felt that pushing along these lines was too far towards the combat arms was not worth the investment in time?  I am asking a serious question here as I saw a completely different "Logistics" paradigm down South and there seemed to be some very good aspects to it.

Infanteer said:
I've worked with the United States Marine Corps and their Logisitics Officers (I was plugged into a formation-level S4) were all fit, qualified to command a platoon - ie: versed in basic platoon level tactics in all phases of war - were conversant in combat ops, and were generally pretty switched on guys (and 1 gal).  Most Marine logistics officers and soldiers could, physically, fit into a Canadian Infantry unit.

I liked them - they were a pleasant change from the more "pudgy" branch I am used to.  I can see a very real effort to "sharpen" the branch - which is awesome - but how much consideration given to "hardening" it?  Was it felt that pushing along these lines was too far towards the combat arms was not worth the investment in time?  I am asking a serious question here as I saw a completely different "Logistics" paradigm down South and there seemed to be some very good aspects to it.

Anything to at least turn the Army side of logistics into a more 'combat' oriented organisation is a good thing, IMHO (keep in mind, I've never deployed as a loggie so take my comments in that context). I think we can all agree that Canadian log officer training is not very...contemporary. However (I have to, it's a sore point for me), log isn't a 'pudgy' branch. There are just as many pudgy infantry officers waddling around the halls of Ottawa, for example. And on my course this summer, most of the guys (and girls) were quite fit. There are lots of gung-ho loggies out there, it's not fair to tarnish the whole branch with such a wide brush. And pudgy does not necessarily = unfit.

Anyways, back on topic. How were the USMC logistics battalions (can't recall right now what they are called) organised? Are they similar to our units (Admin Coy, Tn Coy, Sup Coy etc with FSG's generated as needed)?

Piper said:
However (I have to, it's a sore point for me), log isn't a 'pudgy' branch. There are just as many pudgy infantry officers waddling around the halls of Ottawa, for example. And on my course this summer, most of the guys (and girls) were quite fit. There are lots of gung-ho loggies out there, it's not fair to tarnish the whole branch with such a wide brush. And pudgy does not necessarily = unfit.

Good to hear that there is alot of fitter Junior Officer Log Os; infact, alot of the subbies I see around these parts also seem pretty fit, which is good.  However, the ones I work with are pudgy.

Let's face it, one can find a greater amount of unfit soldiers in a Log Battalion than an Infantry Battalion.  I know Vern has talked at length about available time and what not, but that doesn't excuse the fact that commanders have let it happen.  The Infantry doesn't get off either - we are a "Pudgy" infantry corps when it compared to the Brits or the Americans - and I said it flat out that the USMC were fit motherfuckers across the board (loggies and bayonets) and we should be asking ourselves why we aren't pushing ourselves to that level.  And I no longer buy the pudgy not necessarily = unfit idea - a fit soldier is a fit soldier; a soldier with bulging buttons is, most times, not going to be able to keep up physically fit soldier.  All this bullshit about "he can't run, but he can ruck" that some guys pitch is bunk - yes, it takes all types, but we need to demand all-around fitness (a la Crossfit) and not being good in one area.  Alas, that is a command issue for the CF and is beyond the scope of this discussion.

I probably should have used the term "soft" vice "pudgy".  The CSS trades are - rightly - viewed as soft targets.  Ways to improve this (harden) would be aimed at Skill at Arms, Tactical Acumen, Physical Fitness, and Mental Robustness - this is what I was aiming for.  I can think of the way that the Infantry Phase training could improve on these, and I was curious as to how the Logisitics branch was moving on these 4 key characteristics of the fighting soldier.

Anyways, back on topic. How were the USMC logistics battalions (can't recall right now what they are called) organised? Are they similar to our units (Admin Coy, Tn Coy, Sup Coy etc with FSG's generated as needed)?

I couldn't tell you - I worked with a bit of an adhoc MAGTF organization that didn't really deal with supply at that level.

Infanteer said:
I couldn't tell you - I worked with a bit of an adhoc MAGTF organization that didn't really deal with supply at that level.

What aspects were you dealing with (if you don't mind, I like picking more experienced people's brains).

Seen on the pudgy comments, I can't say much right now, I put on a wee bit of extra weight a short while ago.  :-[

Infanteer said:
Good to hear that there is alot of fitter Junior Officer Log Os; infact, alot of the subbies I see around these parts also seem pretty fit, which is good.  However, the ones I work with are pudgy.

Let's face it, one can find a greater amount of unfit soldiers in a Log Battalion than an Infantry Battalion.  I know Vern has talked at length about available time and what not, but that doesn't excuse the fact that commanders have let it happen.  The Infantry doesn't get off either - we are a "Pudgy" infantry corps when it compared to the Brits or the Americans - and I said it flat out that the USMC were fit motherfuckers across the board (loggies and bayonets) and we should be asking ourselves why we aren't pushing ourselves to that level.  And I no longer buy the pudgy not necessarily = unfit idea - a fit soldier is a fit soldier; a soldier with bulging buttons is, most times, not going to be able to keep up physically fit soldier.  All this bullshit about "he can't run, but he can ruck" that some guys pitch is bunk - yes, it takes all types, but we need to demand all-around fitness (a la Crossfit) and not being good in one area.  Alas, that is a command issue for the CF and is beyond the scope of this discussion.

I probably should have used the term "soft" vice "pudgy".  The CSS trades are - rightly - viewed as soft targets.  Ways to improve this (harden) would be aimed at Skill at Arms, Tactical Acumen, Physical Fitness, and Mental Robustness - this is what I was aiming for.  I can think of the way that the Infantry Phase training could improve on these, and I was curious as to how the Logisitics branch was moving on these 4 key characteristics of the fighting soldier.

In response to this one (pudgy) and your earlier question to me regarding the "hardening" of our loggies into something akin to the combat arms or, as you've cited, the loggies you witnessed in the marines.

Resources. That's the shortfall. In the ideal world with billion dollar budgets, a couple hundred million population base to recruit from, and a CF that actually would NOT fit into the Skydome Rogers center ... that would be the preference.

There is a distinct difference between us and our brethren to the south however in that we do not have those resources. The loggie world in Canada is not even comparable to that of the United States. In Canada, our loggies (and our suppies, maintainers, truckers, RMS etc) all have to be masters of an entire trade process ... not just one small tiny piece of it. In Canada, our loggies can take a demand from their customer and action that demand from start of process to completion of process; including data entering, quoting, contracting, purchasing, receipting, transmitting through CFSS to final issue to customer.We simply HAVE to be able to do that. In the US, one person takes your demand and logs it in, it then passes to another for processing, another for quoting, another for contracting, another for buying, another for receipting, another for transacting, then another for issue. They have lots of free time in the day and night for PT/weapons etc which is not the case in this nation. It's built into their system because they have the resources to do so.
We just do not have those kind of numbers, but we still have the job to do.

Nor is it a matter of "not worth the investment in time" ... in order for us purple types to learn those jobs from top to bottom so that we can do our jobs getting the front line boys and gals what they need ... it becomes obvious that we simply do not have the same number of hours left in the day to become even close to a "combat arms professional". Sleep must occur at some point throughout someones life. I suppose we could spend 1/2 day becoming extremely proficient in the combat arms aspects and 1/2 days getting our jobs done ... but I don't think the system would stand up for long. There'd simply be no "useless CTS kit on the shelves" to issue to anyone.

We are doing our best to get as far towards "pointy" as we can without the whole support structure of the CF falling down while we're out there, but at the end of the day ... someone still needs to stay in a hold the walls up.

As for your comment about more pudgey in the "Loggie Bn" - 100% true. To be expected though when your primary task when not deployed is providing support and that's taking approx 9-10 hours per day these days on average as a norm ... and when a great many of your pers who are "loggies" are pers suffering permanent injuries who have come over to our side of the house from the combat arms due to injuries that they received while employed there. No worries though, some of them may be pudgey ... but we'll look after them.  ;)

So yes, it is the CoC fault that those who aren't on PCats are a little bit "pudgey" (as anywhere), but it's also the same CoC who bears the brunt of the pointy ends wrath when a support function is NOT carried out as a norm (ie: "Mission first" vice "soldier first"). They have to temper their decisions with allowing their pers to sleep sometime too - especially these days when the purple trades and officer professions are all well into the "RED" state but we still have a war effort to support.

We really are trying though.

Edited: Holy typos Batman!!!  :-[

ArmyVern said:
There is a distinct difference between us and our brethren to the south however in that we do not have those resources. The loggie world in Canada is not even comparable to that of the United States. In Canada, our loggies (and our suppies, maintainers, truckers, RMS etc) all have to be masters of an entire trade process ... not just one small tiny piece of it.

Are you asserting that a soldier from another military in a CSS trade has more time on his hands to do things like PT, go to the range, or conduct unarmed combat training?  Is this really the only factor - or is there some reluctance to leave a certain comfort zone as well?

So IF there were more pers on the ground to support the institutional side of the house, then the operational side of the house could dedicate a little more time to training those 4 factors I mentioned earlier?

IE:  The guy working clothing stores can't afford to be at the range because he's got to drive the forklift to move the new stuff around and make sure it's ready to be issued to troops when they come to clothing stores.  Roger.  Acknowledged - and that is a given with the institutional side of the house.  Same reason we can't cut away an Infantry NCO who is an instructor too much as soldiers need to be trained.

What of the "operational" side of the CSS world - the Service Battalions?  Are they all so hurting that they are double hatted and have to cover off both these functions?  With all this talk of "Affiliating" and "Optimizing" at the BG/Bde level, one wonders where the CS/CSS assets fit in.  I've run Service Battalion pers through some static ranges and it was good to see them out doing something they've never done before, but other than that they were doing their own ex, which probably was planned within lines of the comfort zone I mentioned above - I would like to see some training links established so we can include these guys in Level 3 and up Live Fire training.  All the work that would go into this would get rid of alot of the "oh crap, these guys are a liability outside of the wire" that comes up at times - something I see/hear routinely.

I argued a long time ago, and I still believe, that the fundamentals of any training NEED to be conducted through the lens of a "Soldier First" mentality:

• Physical Preparedness: fitness, I will make it to and through the fight
  • Mental Preparedness: "combat mindset", I will win the fight
  • Skill at Arms: No Jessica Lynch, feel comfortable with the weapons we will win the fight with
  • Tactical Awareness: Rudimentary drills and small-unit cooperation, I recognize the fight and will try to shape it

Infantry training obviously revolves around this, but things like driving a truck or conducting maintenance need to be applied through this.  If they can't do this, they can't apply those skills.  The training system changes you mentioned, Vern, are obviously a start in the right direction.  But, are these principles, or something similar to them, going to be hammered into a new Log O's head?  If the only issue to expand on this training development is a manning issue, then roger - but I suspect that, from some directions, there would be some institutional push-back from doing "infantry shit" during training.  (caveat - I also suspect there would be some institutional pushback in the infantry about "wasting resources and time on the loggies" - but that's something for my end to sort out.)

Anyways, that's just me blabbing and thinking out loud more than anything - I guess this is what was running through my mind as I was following along on the thread.

Cheers

No, I'm asserting that they have the priveledge of being able to build in a "fudge factor" ... and we do not.

This is not a new concept. It's been this way for years. (Rape, pillage, late 80s/early 90s) ...

And, it's not CSS only.

Been to a few US-Canadian exs in Pet to where we Canucks were setting up modular etc ... to ask one of our southern brethern why he wasnt assisting us with the set-up ... "I'm the hammer" said he. "I hammer the pegs the when it's up."

Service Bns live in a whole different world ... as far as I now - they still have time to have block leave (summer and winter) ... sports days, weekends off if not in the field or doing work-ups etc. That's because they're in "operational" Units .... they get the benefit of those "fudge factors" of extra personnel built in. And, being operational, they are priority for manning.

I know that you'd love us all to have "two" jobs, but the reality is - we don't have the assets to do both jobs and excel at all. Let's take all the Cbt Arms Officers out of their jobs now and send them on all the CSS courses, doing the CSS jobs and making the walls stand up .... see how rapidly their skills also disappear and how their fitness will begin to "pudgey" up some.

Either way, I'm done here. It's a topic that's been done to death. My viewpoints can already be found in any of the mysriad of other threads running on ths topic ... and I'd appreciate ths latest slant to "you aren't fit" and "soldiers first" is split off and placed over into any of the other threads that harbour the same sentiments.

We're trying. We do not have the luxury of being "soldiers first" in a resource short waorld where every day the actuality is "mission first" (and I believe that you'll find that stated officially on the DWAN). That's not saying we all get to be fat, lazy and skillless (as much as some here would insinuate as a "Mentality" - It means we actually have a damned job we need to do too on top of all that other "stuff".

They bitch when we do, they bitch when we don't. Mission fails when we don't though. Pick your worst poison.

I've never once heard a Logisitcs Officer utter anything sembling "not this infantry shit" in any manner, let alone to justify NOT doing something. 20 years and I've yet to hear it, seems that some f the "perceptions" out there on the pointy end are coming from somewhere I've not seen and I work in this support world every day.

Fundamentally, we don't to Log except on operations.  We DS around it in almost all other situations, go back to base for things that were overlooked in the plan, or complain that it takes too much time to do it right.  Or do CAXes where we ignore Log play because, well, Cbt Arms types might get bored.

Oh, and when push comes to shove we cut back the echelon, to save bayonets.

Then we deploy to, say, KAF, and discover that once we've established outposts we suddenly need support to push supplies out.  Oops!  And we need maintainers to keep the kit operating - and it's more manpower intensive because we don't have the base and national infrastructure at hand. (Oh, did we forget to but tools and parts and training aids to teach the maintainers?  Well, they can figure it out on the fly).

Generally, the Army is run by Cbt Arms types who expect Svc Sp to occur by magic.  Right now there's a fortunate situation where two of the Generals running the show in Ottawa are from support backgrounds - the COS, Land Operations is an EME officer, and the Assistant CLS is a Jimmy.  Support issues are therefore getting more traction than usual.

Wow, did this thread ever go to hell quickly.  To the original poster, I hope that the first page of posts answered your question...

For the record, having worked on operations with a MAGTF organization and relied upon them for support, I was very impressed with their flexibility and combat survivability. But I also realize that those qualities were borne of their wealth of human and material resources.  I loved working with them.

I was, on that same misson, handling cradle to grave supply chain (even laundry) in an area of the world where turn-around for things that were "forgotten" by the end user was a minimum of 5-10 days.  No Canadian Tire or MSA to fall back on for the emergency ADREP that came in after the fact.  And all that with a total of 47 people who were also expected to do their time at the OPs every second night or so.

Sometimes, even on operation we're triple and quadruple hatted...

dapaterson said:
Generally, the Army is run by Cbt Arms types who expect Svc Sp to occur by magic. 

I suppose this goes back to how we structure the gateways for career progression.  In the combat arms, most of the times sustainment is just covered with a 45 minute class and a few slides explaining the echelon system and the difference between push and pull.

Perhaps the pointy end needs to learn more - but what would that be?

Jodie,

Need any info on CAP, send me a pm.

Vern, should I get my airbrakes and LAV III put back on my 404's then  ;D I haven't driven anything bigger than my Aveo since I switched lol.

Wook

Wookilar said:
Jodie,

Need any info on CAP, send me a pm.

Vern, should I get my airbrakes and LAV III put back on my 404's then  ;D I haven't driven anything bigger than my Aveo since I switched lol.

Wook

Aren't you curling??

I'll send you an email Monday.

For those of us living in the Reserve side of the Log world, is there any timeline as to when these changes will hit our courses?

Also, after years of reserve combined arms exs where the Svc Bn is out of play for fear Johnny's rations will be late arriving because the convoy got bumped, I am happy to say I am seeing a change.  My Bde anyway is working CSS into the scenarios instead of just "the Svc Bn will provide CSS throughout" in the OpO.  Too bad its taken 20+ years.  It used to seem if we wanted to be "in the game" we had to organize our own Op For.

Back